What would it take

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What would it take

What would it take for you to sell your Power Wagon?

I have come to the conclusion that the only way I would sell mine is to help my family in a time of need.

I once received a $30,000 cash offer from a legitimate cash buyer. For a man of my financial standing, that's an incredible amount of money, but I didn't hesitate in turning it down.

I guess some things have a value that can't be measured in dollars.

Kevin, you pose an interesting question much like how much for your dog? When I first got my "Stubby" my brother-in-law asked why I wanted to restore this truck. He said I'd NEVER get my money back. I told him I wasn't in it for the money. With nine grandson's who love to ride in the Stubby truck you just can't put a price on that. The friends I've made since I've had my truck are worth more to me than a king's ransom. I've told my wife and kids that I want my LAST ride in my truck. I hope that some of my friends will drive their trucks in the procession. Who knows if we'll still be driving our trucks then but that's my wish. So how much to sell your truck? Sorry this one's not for sale.
    Attached Files

Comment

dr Spock would be puzzled

. I declined an acceptable offer for my 74w300minipumper because the buyer wanted to remove the firebody and make a masons dump. If he said he wanted to drive it in parades I would have said "SOLD"
      " illogical behavior Captain"

Comment

Originally posted by Ron in Indiana View Post
        Kevin, you pose an interesting question much like how much for your dog? When I first got my "Stubby" my brother-in-law asked why I wanted to restore this truck. He said I'd NEVER get my money back. I told him I wasn't in it for the money. With nine grandson's who love to ride in the Stubby truck you just can't put a price on that. The friends I've made since I've had my truck are worth more to me than a king's ransom. I've told my wife and kids that I want my LAST ride in my truck. I hope that some of my friends will drive their trucks in the procession. Who knows if we'll still be driving our trucks then but that's my wish. So how much to sell your truck? Sorry this one's not for sale.
        I am hoping it is a very long time before that last ride....
        Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

Comment

I don't plan on selling any of them, but if it came to the family's health and well being, I could find my self parting with them.
          I drive a DODGE, not a ram!

Thanks,
          Will
          WAWII.com

1946 WDX Power Wagon - "Missouri Mule"
          1953 M37 - "Frankenstein"
          1993 Jeep YJ - "Will Power"
          1984 Dodge Ramcharger - "2014 Ramcharger"
          2006 3500 DRW 4WD Mega Cab - "Power Wagon Hauler"

Comment

Thanks Gordon I'm not planning on THAT ride for awhile myself. Like I said who knows if we'll even be able to drive our beloved trucks in the future? I'm with the rest of you , if it really came down to my family or the trucks I'd have to go with the family. I was close to that with the TW this summer but it didn't come to that, yet. I've always got a few tricks up the sleeve....waiting.

Comment

Thanks Gordon I'm not planning on THAT ride for awhile myself. Like I said who knows if we'll even be able to drive our beloved trucks in the future? I'm with the rest of you , if it really came down to my family or the trucks I'd have to go with the family. I was close to that with the TW this summer but it didn't come to that, yet. I've always got a few tricks up the sleeve....waiting.
              I'm with Gordon, hope you don't take that ride for a long time Ron. You gotta like a guy who rides Mustangs and Power Wagons, (even if the PW's are the fake ones).

Comment

Like I said who knows if we'll even be able to drive our beloved trucks in the future?
                My ’61 WM300 will be 70 years old in the year 2031. I will be 68. The way I abuse my body I won’t live to see 68, but if I do….

I WILL DOMINATE THE ROAD
                Attached Files
                Last edited by Kevin Mienke; 07-11-2013, 04:59 PM.

Comment

It is interesting that this topic came up just last week with one of my wrench bending, Mopar knucklehead buddies. I told him that the only way I would sell my truck is if my family would suffer If I didn’t or if someone offered me enough money so I could get my shop set up for year around operation and still have enough coin to get a new project rolling. With that being said once the truck is done the way I want it, likely several years from now, the latter would not apply.

P.S.
                  Ron,
                  one day I want a truck like yours. One of my all time faves!

Comment

Originally posted by QuantumJo View Post
                    It is interesting that this topic came up just last week with one of my wrench bending, Mopar knucklehead buddies. I told him that the only way I would sell my truck is if my family would suffer If I didn’t or if someone offered me enough money so I could get my shop set up for year around operation and still have enough coin to get a new project rolling. With that being said once the truck is done the way I want it, likely several years from now, the latter would not apply.

P.S.
                    Ron,
                    one day I want a truck like yours. One of my all time faves!
                    Thanks Jo they are a great truck with plenty of room, a better ride and not as many out there like those OTHER Power Wagons.

Comment

Too many Power Wagons!

This question made me realize that I have too many Power Wagons. So, I am taking a hard look at selling some of the Kempner Power Wagon Museum's trucks.

I have several military trucks that I mostly drive in parades or display to commemorate significant events to honor our military history. My WC52 will be displayed outside in front of the Museum, Monday, December 7th, in remembrance of Pearl Harbor. I displayed it this past Memorial Day at the dedication of the Veterans Memorial our city has just completed. I was pleased to get photos of a 102 year old WWII veteran with the truck. In addition to the WWC52, I have a WC21 and a M37. I will keep these former military Dodges and continue to use them this way.

I have two very complete original, "flat fender" Power Wagons that I have driven in parades or displayed. Both the ’47 WDX and the ’58 W300M are running, but they really need a thorough going over before I use them. The WDX made its debut at Fairfield in 1966.

I have a '67 W100 with a 383 that is being redone with some upgrades and will be the hot rod I never had. It will probably be my first pick to drive to the local hangout Friday evenings and join the other old guys who bring their rods, customs, and antique vehicles.

Right now, I plan to keep my WC21, WC52, M37, WDX, W300M, and W100.

I also bought a '70 W200 (also with a 383) mostly to familiarize myself with the "other" Dodge Power Wagon. I have replaced the whole brake system with a thought of giving that truck to my son to use on his ranch. He won't retire from the Army for several years, so that truck might move to the front row and get a "For Sale" sign on it.

I have several other Dodges that are reasonably complete and are excellent candidates for restoration. These projects include a WC6, a WC51, and a WC63. The WC51 and the WC63 have parts trucks that have most of the hard-to-find items. I realize that I will probably never get around to them, so I would consider selling them to someone who will restore them to use as my other military Dodges.

The short answer is that I have some trucks that I will keep as long as I can drive them. I have some excellent projects that I do not expect to work on and will convey to the right person. I also have some “flat fender” Power Wagon, military WC, and “M” series parts trucks that have many of the parts that folks are asking for on the various Forums. I need to do an inventory.

Comment

I like my trucks. I've put a lot of work into them. Ron brought up an
                        excellent point about meeting and becoming friends with fellow
                        enthusiasts. That to me it is the best thing about the hobby. In the
                        event of a family "emergency", any vehicle I owned would go without
                        hesitation.

If someone tells me the right number for any of my vehicles.... bye bye!
                        There's always another one and it also presents the opportunity to
                        meet more folks who enjoy the hobby as I do.

Don't even ask me to part with my tree bark collection though...... it
                        ain't gonna happen! ;)
                        John

Comment

After picking up some paint today, Collette (my wife) asked "Are you keeping track of how much you spend on the trucks?" I was taken back and asked why? She said because when you pass on how do I know how much to sell them for. I was shocked but glad she wasn't asking to find out how much I've spent. I said you wouldn't get back what I have in them, and besides, I have four trucks, and four kids, they each get one when that day comes.

I hope that day for me is way off in the future, but if it comes soon, have the police do a good investigation!
                          I drive a DODGE, not a ram!

Thanks,
                          Will
                          WAWII.com

1946 WDX Power Wagon - "Missouri Mule"
                          1953 M37 - "Frankenstein"
                          1993 Jeep YJ - "Will Power"
                          1984 Dodge Ramcharger - "2014 Ramcharger"
                          2006 3500 DRW 4WD Mega Cab - "Power Wagon Hauler"

Comment

Wow Paul

Originally posted by Paul Cook View Post
                            ....I have two very complete original, "flat fender" Power Wagons that I have driven in parades or displayed....The WDX made its debut at Fairfield in 1966....
                            You stay several steps ahead of the rest of us! ;^)

Let's see. Fairfield Iowa 1966.....hmmm.

Parsons College was still in existence. David Butler was a schoolboy in Colorado. The Chicago, Rock Island and Pacific Railroad passed right smack dab through the middle of 302 S. 7th Street. And Gene Buch was farming with a Super-H Farmall.

So how did that first Rally go in 1966? ;^)

Comment

Originally posted by 74w300uteline View Post
                              . I declined an acceptable offer for my 74w300minipumper because the buyer wanted to remove the firebody and make a masons dump. If he said he wanted to drive it in parades I would have said "SOLD"
                              " illogical behavior Captain"
                              I don't find this illogical at all. I am amazed at the bottom feeders who want to buy my vehicles but have nothing good to say about them. They think that by criticizing the vehicle or me for having it I am more likely to sell it cheap. Like most people with unusual or hobby vehicles, I have good memories of enjoying and using them and would prefer to pass them to a good home. I once sold an old Jeep to a guy who was going to restore it with his 11 year old son. I had a lot of fun with it, and I hope they did too.

I think of selling my PW from time to time as it deserves better than it is getting right now. I am sad to say I took it to have some "restoration work" done on it some years ago. I had been using it pretty much every weekend, but it was sorely in need of paint. I had saved up some money and wanted to get it done right. The guy disassembled the truck, spent the money I gave him on drugs, and left town. It was a perfectly good truck now reduced to a pile of perfectly good parts. I participate in this forum from time to time because I appreciate the people on it and what they have done with their trucks. My intention is to re-assemble the truck myself, perhaps with the help of my two boys, who right now are 2 and 3 years old. But I honestly don't know if I will ever get to it.

Comment

Working...
                              X