The last laugh

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The last laugh

We got 16" of snow overnight. The wind chill is 13 below zero and the wind is a blistering 32 MPH out of the NW.

In short, it is a blizzard and not a good time to own a Honda minivan in central Iowa.

The ground is bare in some areas and drifted over my head in other areas. Interstate systems are closed, and city snow plows have been pulled off the road until midnight tonight. Des Moines is virtually shut down.

After 3 years, today was the day that my neighbor’s daughter was to have her braces taken off. The orthodontist agreed to brave the blizzard to make the little girl happy.

My neighbor loaded his little girl in his prized Honda minivan. I should explain that I am not bashing those of you who happen to own such a vehicle. My neighbor and I have had a long-running, good-humored debate over whether his minivan is suitable for the upper Midwest. He doesn’t really care for my Dodges.

I watch as he backs out of his driveway and bottoms the undercarriage in the snow. He spins, and he spins, and he spins some more. I am laughing while he is cursing.

Eventually I walk over with my shovel and ask very naively what happened. I know he would rather kick my butt than give me an answer.

We shovel him out and he tries again. His forward progress was a max of 3 feet. His little girl had tears in her eyes.

I brushed off the Cummins Ram and took them both to the orthodontist.

On our way home the little girl was very happy and told her Daddy that they should get one of these Dodges. I am not above basking in the glory of this event.

EEK! If you are having a blizzard there that means it is heading our way...

Even the minivan has its uses. Some years ago I saw a review of a minivan on TV. The program was hosted by these two guys from Boston or someplace. One of the features of this minivan was that each of the seats folded down and had four cupholders on the back. So they folded down ALL of the seats, loaded the van with 20 7-Eleven Big Gulps, and were driving it around town. It was hilarious.

Some day I will tell you guys the story of the theatre troupe that had a 4WD Dodge stuck in the snow, and how we got it out.

Comment

The purpose of the Honda van is to navigate dry pavement in summer on the way to a box store, to pick up a foreign made, micro snowblower designed to a price point, and haul it back to suburbia where it can one day demonstrate just how incredibly inadequate it is when a real snow with subsequent drifting occurs.
      Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

Comment

Originally posted by NNICKB View Post
        Even the minivan has its uses. Some years ago I saw a review of a minivan on TV. The program was hosted by these two guys from Boston or someplace. One of the features of this minivan was that each of the seats folded down and had four cupholders on the back. So they folded down ALL of the seats, loaded the van with 20 7-Eleven Big Gulps, and were driving it around town. It was hilarious.
        That's is funny. I'll be sure and repeat it to my neighbor after the smoke clears. I judged he was not in the right mindset to discuss much this morning. The truck was eerily quiet while we made the trip.

When the little girl finally spoke of Dodges, a shudder ran through my body and I knew I had ammunition enough to carry me through a lifetime of our debate. I think my neighbor had a somewhat dissimilar shudder.

Comment

Originally posted by Gordon Maney View Post
          The purpose of the Honda van is to navigate dry pavement in summer on the way to a box store, to pick up a foreign made, micro snowblower designed to a price point, and haul it back to suburbia where it can one day demonstrate just how incredibly inadequate it is when a real snow with subsequent drifting occurs.
          He owns a Toro electric "Power Shovel". He got it out this morning, plugged it in and I watched. It was a great opening act to the mini van. I do like this guy but we are so different.

Comment

Update

The handle of the Toro is now sticking out of the top of his garbage can. I will show him how to put his back into a grain shovel.

He is having a bad day.

Comment

2001 Storm

I had a similar situation during the 2001 storm that hit Buffalo.
              http://www.usatoday.com/weather/news...ffalo-snow.htm
              I had a 98 Ram 2500 Plow truck, dam I loved that rig, and a 2K XJ which we still drive. A neighbor of mine was very insistent on attempting to get to the store the first day of the storm. He had a 2wd Ford Ranger. I told him I would be surprised if he made it to the first intersection as he brushed the snow from his idling Ranger. He made it about half way to the first stop sign before he was hung up on the frame. I was sipping away at my coffee as he tried to rock out of his mess. After 10 minutes of that I extended my hand and asked him if he wanted help, he accepted and then I took him and a few others to the store for some groceries.

My Adventurer is the first non 4X4 I’ve had in over 15 years, I really wanted to have it converted to a 4X4 by now, but life happens.

Comment

Dodge vs Honda

Originally posted by Kevin Mienke View Post
                When the little girl finally spoke of Dodges, a shudder ran through my body and I knew I had ammunition enough to carry me through a lifetime of our debate.
                Great story Kevin. You had me laughing. You will never have to say anything to him again. You knew. Now you both know. Even his daughter now knows. He can never boast to you about his Honda ever again.

Maybe the daughter can talk daddy into a new Dodge truck?

Comment

The last laugh

Kevin and everyone
                  I have really enjoyed this thread, Thanks for sharing!
                  This thread proves what I have known for most of my 57 years
                  "Rice is for eating and not for driving"
                  "Dodge Rams and Power Wagons are made for driving"
                  DB69

Comment

I remember a big blizzard back in the 90's when we lived in south central PA. I was flying back from the UK, and when we landed in NY, we called back to the plant, and they said they were taking names of volunteers to work the next day as there was a blizzard coming. We we were shocked and surprised they could forecast that well.

Needless to say, when we arrived late that evening in Harrisburg, the snow had just started, and I had a good 45 min. drive in good weather home. I had an 89 two wheel drive Dakota with the little 4 cylinder and 4 speed. By the time I got home the snow was deep, blowing and getting deeper. The Dakota plowed through and got me home though. I then found out one of the girls had been to the doctor that day, and was tested for strep throat, but they would not have the results till the next morning.

Early the next morning the blizzard was still pounding us, and the doctor called, yep she had strep. So now I had to get to the Pharmacy 10 miles away. Fortunately my wife's vehicle was a Ramcharger, but only a two wheel drive one! The Ramcharger was outfitted with BFG All-Terains, and handeled the snow great, even for a two wheel drive. Everyone was shocked that I made it to the Pharmacy even the Parmacest who agreed to stay open for us. I was the last vehicle that made it out and back for a few days in our neibourhood.

Both trucks, even being two wheel drive, were great in the snow, the Dakota going through deep snow on several ocations with no issues. The Ramcharger with the great titres, and the light weight Dakota with 210 pounds of sand in the bed.

RIP Dodge Truck Brand, we will miss you.
                    I drive a DODGE, not a ram!

Thanks,
                    Will
                    WAWII.com

1946 WDX Power Wagon - "Missouri Mule"
                    1953 M37 - "Frankenstein"
                    1993 Jeep YJ - "Will Power"
                    1984 Dodge Ramcharger - "2014 Ramcharger"
                    2006 3500 DRW 4WD Mega Cab - "Power Wagon Hauler"

Comment

In 1978 I got my first four wheel drive truck a new 78 Club Cab W200 and wanting to try out the 4 wheel drive I took my young family for a drive. We were on a country road and came on a young kid in his jacked up Chevy short bed 4x4 1/2 ton. He was trying to get down this road but after several attempts he backed out to where we were watching him. He rolled down his window to tell us " Man there just ain't no way to get down through there" I said ok as I put my TC in Hi Loc. Now this kid had made a mess with tracks going everywhere with his WIDE tires. As I got to the place that stopped him I was plowing a pretty good drift. We had to back up once or twice but with snow flying everywhere we made it through. So I turned around in the road and drove back to the kid in his Chevy. I pulled and said "Yeah I guess you're right,YOU can't get through there" He hit the gas and took off. That was good for a laugh.

Comment

Toro !!!

Thanks Kevin, can't hardly see the key board for the tears, I needed that. Dave.

Comment

This Has Been

A great read, hopefully I will be able to add to it this weekend?

Comment

Originally posted by Ron in Indiana View Post
                            In 1978 I got my first four wheel drive truck a new 78 Club Cab W200 and wanting to try out the 4 wheel drive I took my young family for a drive. We were on a country road and came on a young kid in his jacked up Chevy short bed 4x4 1/2 ton. He was trying to get down this road but after several attempts he backed out to where we were watching him. He rolled down his window to tell us " Man there just ain't no way to get down through there" I said ok as I put my TC in Hi Loc. Now this kid had made a mess with tracks going everywhere with his WIDE tires. As I got to the place that stopped him I was plowing a pretty good drift. We had to back up once or twice but with snow flying everywhere we made it through. So I turned around in the road and drove back to the kid in his Chevy. I pulled and said "Yeah I guess you're right,YOU can't get through there" He hit the gas and took off. That was good for a laugh.

Everybody should know that Chevrolet should be shoveme! (ROFLMAO)
                            DB69

Comment

Originally posted by DB69 View Post
                              Everybody should know that Chevrolet should be shoveme! (ROFLMAO)
                              DB69
                              Don't you know what Chevrolet stands for?
                              Cheap
                              Hardly
                              Efficient
                              Virtually
                              Runs
                              On
                              Luck
                              Every
                              Time

Enjoy the season gentlemen...

Comment

Working...