Concealed Carry...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Concealed Carry...

As of late here in Washington State, we have lost 6 police officers in the line of duty in the past month. The most disturbing was the Lakewood 4 who were executed while having coffee in a coffee shop just prior to them going on duty.

Story here:
    http://www.komonews.com/news/local/78088192.html

Anyway, many of us here at the fire station have started seriously talking about utilizing our concealed carry permits (off-duty of course). In a way I'm for it, but in a way it also feels like paranoia. But you cant help but wonder who is going to be the guy in the movie theater who decides to kill himself and take as many people as he can with him.
    How many lives would have been saved on the VT campus if one person with a gun were willing and ready to use it to stop that kid?
    Unfortunately, in these times, you must expect the worst from people. Look at the 9-11 hijackings. Everybody just sat back and figured everything would be all right, and the bad guys knew that.

I don't even own a gun that would be very concealable. My only pistol now is a Sig Sauer 228.

Anyone here conceal carry? What setup do you use?

I had one in MI. However check the local laws. The office in MI that gave us our training told us that the changes in the law there to allow Concealed Weapons, also limited law officials use/carry. Most MI law officials gave up the permit as it added restrictions to them when off duty. They carry off duty with out the license.
    I drive a DODGE, not a ram!

Thanks,
    Will
    WAWII.com

1946 WDX Power Wagon - "Missouri Mule"
    1953 M37 - "Frankenstein"
    1993 Jeep YJ - "Will Power"
    1984 Dodge Ramcharger - "2014 Ramcharger"
    2006 3500 DRW 4WD Mega Cab - "Power Wagon Hauler"

Comment

Seems everyone here is packing! Young lady at church keeps hers in a diaper-bag, and NO the kid can't get near it.

Bucky

Comment

Pick the right holster makes all the difference in comfort.Pick the right gun,if you carry all the time it's going to get beat up holster wear etc.If you are very anal about the appearance of your firearms you are in for a shock.Look at a full time LEO duty weapon and you will get an idea of the kind of wear.If you are going to carry,CARRY,full time with in the confines of the law.Remove yourself from preconceptions about what and where a firearm comes into play.Mas Ayoob wrote a book called"In the Gravest Extreme"and that's what drawing a firearm is,especially if you are not LE.I carry for a variety of reasons,I live in a rural area,I have livestock,pest and predator control are my main concerns pests and predators also come in two legged types.Learn the difference.

Comment

One other note about what to carry. Our instructor recommended a revolver, as auto's have a much higher tendency to misfire, and the simple action of the revolver is reliable. Way more reliable than an automatic. Should have bought my pistol after the training not before. I carry mine now on hip holster for predictors when in the woods.
          I drive a DODGE, not a ram!

Thanks,
          Will
          WAWII.com

1946 WDX Power Wagon - "Missouri Mule"
          1953 M37 - "Frankenstein"
          1993 Jeep YJ - "Will Power"
          1984 Dodge Ramcharger - "2014 Ramcharger"
          2006 3500 DRW 4WD Mega Cab - "Power Wagon Hauler"

Comment

One guy I work with who carries regularly has a holster that fits in the small of the back inside the waistband of his dungarees. He carries a Kimber ultra compact .45 with 7 rounds on tap. He says the thin auto is the only way to go for the concealed carry in that manner as the cylinder of the revolver adds width.

Comment

Best circumstances are affected by season, meaning temperature. The temperature affects what you have to wear for clothing, and what looks natural for clothing.
              Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

Comment

As Ross was saying comfort is a key consideration. Choose a weapon you are like to use. Get a very comfortable holster. If the rig isn't comfortable you wil be constantly tugging and shifting it . This will make the citizenry nervous and telegraph to undesirables that you are carrying, and they make take steps to neutralizeyou before they start any nonsense. More importantly if the rig isn't comfortable you will get tired of wearing it and you won't have it at a crucial moment.
                A quick draw should not be a consideration. If you are going to need your weapon you should be aware of a developing situation long before it is time to shoot.
                Take a course, learn when to use deadly force and when not to. I recommend to my friends who are considering a CCW permit that they obtain liability insurance. Because even if you do everything right you can still be sued. Even if you don't actually shoot someone . What most people do not understand is that LEO's have a city with liability protection behind them. The city or county will not back you the citizen, even if you are acting for the public good.
                I also tell people that proficiency is a key ingredient . You should shoot freqently at a range and a combat course where available.
                Lastly I would say to anyone considering CCW. Have a long talk with yourself, make sure you are mentally prepared for the obligations pursuant to carrying and consequences of using deadly force.

It occurs to me we have had a large thread on this very topic. Perhaps Gordon would be able to toss in a link to the previous discussion.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Thompson View Post
                  As Ross was saying comfort is a key consideration. Choose a weapon you are like to use. Get a very comfortable holster. If the rig isn't comfortable you wil be constantly tugging and shifting it . This will make the citizenry nervous and telegraph to undesirables that you are carrying, and they make take steps to neutralizeyou before they start any nonsense. More importantly if the rig isn't comfortable you will get tired of wearing it and you won't have it at a crucial moment.
                  A quick draw should not be a consideration. If you are going to need your weapon you should be aware of a developing situation long before it is time to shoot.
                  Take a course, learn when to use deadly force and when not to. I recommend to my friends who are considering a CCW permit that they obtain liability insurance. Because even if you do everything right you can still be sued. Even if you don't actually shoot someone . What most people do not understand is that LEO's have a city with liability protection behind them. The city or county will not back you the citizen, even if you are acting for the public good.
                  I also tell people that proficiency is a key ingredient . You should shoot freqently at a range and a combat course where available.
                  Lastly I would say to anyone considering CCW. Have a long talk with yourself, make sure you are mentally prepared for the obligations pursuant to carrying and consequences of using deadly force.

It occurs to me we have had a large thread on this very topic. Perhaps Gordon would be able to toss in a link to the previous discussion.
                  I do not recall the thread and just did a search; not finding. That is not to say it is not there, but.... I am trying to assemble an issue just now. :-)

Comment

As a former Homicide Detective I have always carried a concealed handgun. I have many holsters as well as different calibers and the clothes that i'm wearing play the biggest part in what I carry. My favorite that I carry 90% of the time is a Walther PPKS. It is a stainless .380 and a very durable and reliable gun. I carry it on my ankle the same as I did when I was a cop. (it was my backup on duty)
                    Whatever you decide to carry just make sure you practice and get familiar with it.
                    And I totally agree that you are better safe than sorry. Unfortunately there are a lot of sick people in this world and you never know when you will have to protect a life.

Comment

It might have been in the now-defunct Maelstrom forum, but I remember it.

Bucky

Comment

Originally posted by Gordon Maney View Post
                        I do not recall the thread and just did a search; not finding. That is not to say it is not there, but.... I am trying to assemble an issue just now. :-)
                        No problem Gordon. As it happens it was one of yours and actually started out as a survival thread. I remembered that Jeff Cooper had been mentioned and found it that way.

Link below.

http://www.powerwagonadvertiser.com/...ht=Jeff+Cooper

Comment

No problem Gordon. As it happens it was one of yours and actually started out as a survival thread. I remembered that Jeff Cooper had been mentioned and found it that way.

Link below.

http://www.powerwagonadvertiser.com/...ht=Jeff+Cooper

Great!

Comment

ccguns@ permits

Most auto. pistol manufactures recommend at least 200 rounds to wear in the parts and prevent malfunction, I carry a Kal-tec .380 never used it , hope I never have to. Here in W.V. almost everyone it seems carries. Our crime rate is very low. I also carry a S&W Chief 36 which I really like and very dependable.

Comment

Note that the majority (all?) of the mass-murders of recent memory have occurred in "no weapon" "safe zone(s)"; it was bad to see a mass murder on an Army base, especially where it wasn't a soldier who stopped it but a police officer! The idealistic (but hypocritical) law makers around this part of the world have made it really hard to be able to defend oneself, let alone others.

California being the biggest "safe zone", I have little recourse but to pathetically hope that nothing bad happens... even if I were able to earn a concealed carry, I would not be able to drive my vehicle onto my employer's property for fear of termination.

I'm tellin' ya, if my mom and my wife's relatives didn't live around here, I'd be GONE.

Comment

Working...
                              X