Onan Generator Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Onan Generator Question

At work we have a 92 Ford F350 with a 28' Telsta aerial platform unit powered by an Onan 4500kw generator. This is an ex-GTU Telephone company bucket truck that we use in our painting operations. The Onan unit uses the truck battery for starting electrical power, then is supposedly self sufficiant to power a hydraulic pump which sends power to the various hydraulic cylinders that do the actual lifting & articulation. There is also a couple of 110volt receptacles that the generator supplies. Inside the cab of the truck is a toggle switch which must be closed before the generator will operate. Turning off the toggle also kills the generator, same as 2 other kill switches which I suppose work similarly but they are push & hold type switches.

A few months ago the generator got where it would not crank/start/run during high humidity weather. Early morning dew, frost or a rain shower would render it inoperable. Once the weather dried up, things would be fine, except the 110v receptacles no longer work.

Now its dry as a bone out, but no worky for the generator. I have cleaned all points of contact and definately have power back to the unit via the main power wire off the battery. But I don't have any power to any of the "ignition" components. I came to this conclusion since I can jump power to the starter & get it to crank, but have no spark at the plugs. Cleaned plugs & shot ether to them, nothing.

Is anyone familar with these things? I can see several potential sources of electrical issues. In addtion to all the wiring on the generator engine itself, there are 2 control panels. One on the pedestial & the other at the bucket.

I learned years ago to never kill this thing while up in the basket. Once crawling down the boom is enough in my lifetime.

Thanks

Bucky

Do you have any spark at the coil wire? Is this a breaker point ignition, or electronic?

Is it a multiple cylinder engine?
    Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

Comment

2 cylinder similar to riding lawnmower engine. I had 3 paragraphs typed here but, my wireless disconnected itself when I hit submit. I'll just say that I'm not getting power at either start switch. I suspect a faulty kill switch or open circuit. I wish my first description had went through, too tired to retype it. Thanks

Bucky

Comment

I didn't fix it, but its working.

Well this afternoon ( after it was still dead) I removed the covers from both control panels, took an old stiff paint brush & knocked years of built-up dirt/dust from all the wiring/connections and made a point to jiggle every wire that I could get my hand on. I looked to see if there was any visible corrosion or wire breakage/damage. I should have blown everything out with compressed air.

I flip the underdash toggle switch ON then hit the start button on the boom. She fired right up!!!!!

I sprayed everything down with WD-40 before putting the covers back on the panels. I then used the boom to lift a 66 sweptline cab off of the frame & also to move a motor out of the way.

The big test is in the morning, when moisture will be present. I did wrap everything in plastic for the night to keep moisture out as much as possible.

Bucky

Comment

You got it, I bet. dirt and moisture on anything remotely "electronic" will short the circuits sufficiently to do what you reported.

Comment

Working...
          X