Buck knife

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buck knife

I was cutting boxes in the garage yesterday with my everyday pocketknife (not my Geo Wostenholm) when a kid pulled in my driveway, a stranger of about 20 years of age. He had been driving by and noticed the Power Wagon in the garage. He said it was the coolest truck he’d ever seen. He said “I just had to stop and see it up close." I set my knife down on the running board to open the hood for him as I would for anyone.

Up to that point, the kid had been extremely interested in the truck, but suddenly, very suddenly, had to leave. Apparently, the time it takes to open a hood is the same amount of time it takes to steal a knife.

It was a Buck Folding Hunter. I had owned the knife for several years, but it was not of any particular sentimental value. Still, it was a good knife and I am sorry I no longer have it.

As much as it bothered me that I no longer had my old knife, I was excited about getting a new one. Instead of targeting someone that I could steal one from, I did the honorable thing and decided to go to the store and buy one.

I went to The Bass Pro Shop and no one was at the knife counter to show me anything. The place is nice but it’s a zoo. I turned around to see that there were several Buck knives packaged in hard plastic and hanging on a display rack. Perfect.

The knives were all made in China!!! Maybe you guys are aware of this, but I was not. My heart sunk and I went home without a knife.

When I got home, I googled it and learned that CJ Buck had made the decision to send about 50% of Buck production offshore when they made a move to Idaho. He has since regretted the decision and is slowly bringing production back home. I was glad to know that Buck has learned that it needs to be as loyal to the Americans as the Americans have been to Buck. This news was music to my ears and I will go back out and find the right Buck knife.

Or else I could search for the punk who walked into my garage and stole from me while I was trying to be cordial. I think I’d like to cut his thieving fingers off with it.

It would be a nice way to relieve mid-winter stress.

My daily carry is a Buck 112.

I think I am security oriented and your story surprised me.
    Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

Comment

After giving it some thought, I believe he was driving around looking for open garage doors. He could not see me cutting boxes behind the tall truck.

I believe he was planning on a big haul and did not expect me to be there.

I wasn't suspicious at the time because I've had many people stop to ask about the truck or see it. I am becoming less trusting of people everyday.

Comment

Originally posted by Gordon Maney View Post
        My daily carry is a Buck 112.

I think I am security oriented and your story surprised me.
        Surprised that I'm not more security oriented or surprised that Buck was making some of their knives offshore?

Comment

Best keep your security up for awhile. The kid- or some buddies may have you down on their "To Do" list for later. Insure that a repo-type wrecker doesn't have a good shot at your truck, or it may disappear one night....

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin Mienke View Post
            Surprised that I'm not more security oriented or surprised that Buck was making some of their knives offshore?
            Surprised that someone would be that bold in your neighborhood.

You may not remember, but I left something in your door once. I saw your neighborhood. I would not expect that there.
            Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

Comment

I remember it very well. It was the nicest something anyone ever left in my door.

Last summer there were a number of homes broken into in my neighborhood. The thief was bold enough to walk through unlocked doors while people were home.

I suspect their courage had something to do with narcotics/amphetamines.

Comment

I wish I hadn't read this thread. As much as I hear about forgiveness at church & know that I should dismiss more trespasses against me, I almost had hoped you would have ended your story by saying that you pulled out a revolver & shot this guy plumb off of that bicycle as he speed away.

You are of a "better cut" than maybe I am.

Sorry to hear about the knife & the made in china factor.

Bucky

Comment

That is just not right using your love for your truck to steal your knife. If you can't find a buck you like I would highly recommend a Kershaw with the speed safe system they are tough and with the speed safe have reliable one handed opening that locks the blade every time. And now that makes me think about all the people that have stopped here at our place asking about one of the old cars or trucks setting in the back but since we got polar bear (half great Pyrenees and half saint bernard) we haven't had many window shoppers.

Comment

In the late '80s a guy supposedly had car problems close to my folks place near Sloan, Iowa. They let him in the house to use the phone and noticed an interest of something in the corner of his eye. Later that day, Dad had a mild heart attack so he was wisked away to Sioux City. That night somebody broke into the house and ran off with a shot gun I gave my dad. It was a Browning 1100 (? on the 1100) semi auto FN 3" magnum. A real beaut. They found out who the kid was but couldn't prove anything.

Comment

Remington makes an 1100 auto loader not sure what the browning autos were called

Comment

It was a beautiful piece. Picked it up in Japan at the Navy Exchange back in 1973. I'm 99.9 percent sure it was a Model 1100 Browning but I just can't find any info on it searching the web. But it definitely was a Browning.

Should that have been 3-1/2 inch for the magnum. Getting old.

Comment

john browning did design the Remington 1100 and there was a browning auto 5 and there are both 3" and 3.5" 12 gauge shells

Comment

Originally posted by 712edf View Post
                            You are of a "better cut" than maybe I am.Bucky
                            Bucky, Don't kid yourself. We all have a bit of rage in us. I’m not a better cut than you. I’ve had the same kind of “turn the other cheek” upbringing as you, but when the situation warrants it…. a guy can’t let jerks walk all over him.

If I saw the jerk again, I would take him down with a smooth fireman’s carry, ripping his girl arms from their sockets and beating him over the head with them. I would throw a few roundhouse rights to his chinless face until he begged for mercy. Then I would hit him a few hundred more times, knocking the meth-amphetamine right out of him.

It would be a straight-out assault on someone who deserved it. I have the capability of outrage at outrageous things. Stealing other people’s things is outrageous.

I could do all of this in perfect conscience and return home to kiss my wife and bounce a baby boy nephew on my knee, telling him to turn the other cheek when possible.

I am really just a cynical old fireman with a bit of poetic balance. It's very deceiving.

Comment

Originally posted by sret43 View Post
                              In the late '80s a guy supposedly had car problems close to my folks place near Sloan, Iowa. They let him in the house to use the phone and noticed an interest of something in the corner of his eye. Later that day, Dad had a mild heart attack so he was wisked away to Sioux City. That night somebody broke into the house and ran off with a shot gun I gave my dad. It was a Browning 1100 (? on the 1100) semi auto FN 3" magnum. A real beaut. They found out who the kid was but couldn't prove anything.
                              What your Dad had was probably an auto 5 like Daewoo said. They are indeed a beautiful gun. Anyone who would steal another man's auto five should get an auto five year sentence in the penitentiary.

By the way, I have been through Sloan many times. It is in a beautiful part of the state.

Comment

Working...
                              X