• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Power Wagon Nation

My Buck knife has been replaced with a new Buck 112. It is tang stamped:

BUCK
    USA

It came complete with a leather sheath and a note. The sheath and the note will go in a drawer and the knife will go in my pocket.

It is a beautiful knife and is something that already has special meaning to me as it was given to me by a good man, someone who has taken time to help me through some difficult times. I call him a friend.

This may become a lengthy post. I have a lot to say to that man and to many of you in what I will call the Power Wagon Nation.

Almost two years ago, Momma started a thread that described a structure fire accident in which I fell through a weakened, burned out floor. It was the only time she ever logged onto the forums. Many of you will recall the thread, because many of you responded to her call for thoughts and prayers. I will never forget the outpouring of support from the Power Wagon Nation.

In my years as a firefighter I had experienced many injuries, and many close calls. The injuries were always minor and I felt like the close calls would always be close calls and nothing more. I was ignorant.

At the time of Momma’s thread, it was believed that my injuries were limited to some broken ribs, broken toes, a torn rotator cuff, and some bruising to my legs, back, and chest. As things evolved, we discovered that my injuries also included two herniated discs in my neck. These injuries would eventually require a long string of treatment that finally culminated in neck surgery. The surgery repaired only one of the herniated discs. The opinion of the doctors was that it would be too risky and too invasive to repair both.

What I didn’t know at the time, and what doctors didn’t tell me was that I would never be allowed to return to work as a firefighter. My medical retirement became final in June of 2009. Losing my career was a loss I can’t describe. It has taken until now for me to talk much about it.

Heaped on top of that was the fact that my dad and my son became very ill. They still are very ill.

I retired from the Fire Department with honors, some of the honors were honors never before bestowed upon a DsM firefighter, but there was also a considerable amount of grief. You may have been able to detect the grief in The Long View. But, trust me, I was trying to harbor it and hide it.

I visit these forums almost daily if only for an hour. I don’t visit here solely to learn about truck repairs and look at pictures. I log on also to read the words of the many people I have come to know as friends.

Through all of this, I have leaned very hard on Gordon. His is a voice I trust. He was there on the night in Iowa City when I made my final trip to the University hospitals… the night they made the decision. He has been there many times since. I have written long letters to him and always received a thoughtful response. He has given me the Long View. I can’t tell you how grateful I have been for this opportunity to move forward.

Again, I thank you all for your support and I will give back what I can. I apologize for the lengthy post, but, as I listened to the rhythm of the clock, I felt the time was right.

Thank you Gordon for the beautiful knife.

I read about your knife (the stolen one), even commented about it. But it never crossed my mind to replace it. While I don't know you in the sense that Gordon knows you, the thought to do something other than rant about a loss or situation is a concept that I should heavily consider. Often I take the easy road. Maybe offer sympathy or my "input" instead of rolling up my sleeves & doing something. All of us are offered opportunites everyday to make some sort of difference in the world. Unfortunately I usually miss the mark by failing to shoot.

Gordon didn't do this in thoughts that you'd mention it here before us, but only, I reckon, because of the friendship that you share.

My hats off to both of you!

Bucky

Comment

I didn't read the original post since I have just recently joined the powerwagon nation and I am proud to be here. And as far as loosing your career Kev even though I talk bad about my job I can't imagine to be told I couldn't do it would be a crushing blow and I don't get to help people like you do, unless you count making sure your Sports Illustrated or People mag make it in time. And Gordon you are the man I am glad that Kevin got his Buck Knife if not replaced at least substituted for. I am so glad I stumbled onto a $500 power wagon and then stumbled onto this place.

Comment

Kevin, I don't think any apology is required. This is precisely the purpose of this section of the forum. I'm glad you have a new knife, Gordon is a class act.
        I was aware of your Dad being ill but I had not heard about Colt being ill.
        I hope the prognosis is good.
        I'm sorry to have been largely absent over the past months, it was unavoidable.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Thompson View Post
          I was aware of your Dad being ill but I had not heard about Colt being ill.
          I hope the prognosis is good..
          Thanks Bob,
          Much of this kind of thing I have always kept to myself. I guess I like to keep the anguish for myself. It sounds weird, but I think most men are the same way.

Lately, Momma has been trying to get me to talk more in an effort to take the weight off my shoulders. It can't hurt anything. I have been beating myself up for quite a while.

Colt has a neurological condition called Tourette's Syndrome. He actually inherited it from me, but he has it to a much, much more serious degree than I. We will be traveling to Cleveland next month where he will be seen by the country's foremost experts. I think we have a long road in front of us, but as long as we have each other, we will be able to carry on.

Things like the unexpected gift of a good knife give a guy reason to believe in his fellow man. Everything will be ok.

Comment

I knew you were going to mention Gordon before I finished reading your post.
            That's just the type of person he is. Wouldn't surprise me if he spent an enormous amount of time going through his personal collection looking for the perfect one.
            Then again would have also done the same, shopping for one.

I also think most men keep way to much to themselves, me included. It's just our nature I guess.
            We seem to think it makes us stronger.
            Just buried our mother the first of the year,and broadcasting it didn't seem right,now I seem to look differently on that decision.

You and your family have always been in Judy and my Prayer's.
            Now we will Pray a little harder for you, dad,mom'a,and Colt to stay strong,and for the best possible outcome.

Take Care My Friend,
            TGP
            WDX & Misc. Pics.
            http://www.t137.com/cpg/index.php?cat=10010
            "47" Dodge WDX WW
            "52" Dodge M-37 WW
            "54" Willys M38A1
            "65" Kaiser M35A1 WW
            "77" Chev. K-30 400T,205,4.56 "No-Spin"
            "84" Chev, K-30 Cummins 6-BTA 400,205,3.73Locker
            "86" Chev, M1028A2 (K30) 6.2,400.205,4.56 Locker
            "99" Dodge Durango "Limited Slip"
            "99" Dodge 3500 CTD 4x4"No-Spin"

Comment

The Power Wagon Nation

The Power Wagon Nation is all that is right with our World!
              Kevin, Gordon, Bucky, Bob and Tom Petroff and many others I haven't mentioned are first class!
              In the past I have been through many trying times and I have found that my friendships with members of the various Dodge community forums and Clubs have been have been stronger and more numerous than out of the old vehicle hobby.
              I have had the privilege of meeting a few of the members of this forum at Ron in Indiana's 2 previous truck rally's and hope to meet more this year.
              Reading the posts in this thread really made my day Thanks much!
              My thoughts and prayers are with you Kevin and your family as well!
              I appreciate you sharing your views and anything else you want to share with us, and that goes for all of you

Comment

This is not a bad result. A knife without "any particular sentimental value" has now been replaced by one of great sentimental value.

No one likes to admit it, but good friendships and good character are always born of adversity.

Comment

Originally posted by NNICKB View Post
                  This is not a bad result. A knife without "any particular sentimental value" has now been replaced by one of great sentimental value.

No one likes to admit it, but good friendships and good character are always born of adversity.
                  Well said.

Comment

Dad always said, “If you’re going through ****, don’t stop.” Our fellow man has a way of prodding us through **** and not letting us get burned too badly.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Petroff View Post
                      I knew you were going to mention Gordon before I finished reading your post.
                      That's just the type of person he is. Wouldn't surprise me if he spent an enormous amount of time going through his personal collection looking for the perfect one.
                      Then again would have also done the same, shopping for one.

I also think most men keep way to much to themselves, me included. It's just our nature I guess.
                      We seem to think it makes us stronger.
                      Just buried our mother the first of the year,and broadcasting it didn't seem right,now I seem to look differently on that decision.

You and your family have always been in Judy and my Prayer's.
                      Now we will Pray a little harder for you, dad,mom'a,and Colt to stay strong,and for the best possible outcome.

Take Care My Friend,
                      TGP

Tom,

I wish I had known about your mother.

Like you said, it is the nature of man to stand in the middle of a bad thing and try to fix it. And if he can’t fix it, it becomes nature to bear whatever weight comes with it.

This is probably especially true for the steely-eyed guys in the PW community.

A guy can resist becoming weak in the hardest hours, and he can do it on his own. It is a good thing to carry this weight. In fact, a real man will always carry his own weight and be better for it, but when someone comes to the door to have a cup of coffee or a package arrives at the door or someone calls to see how you’re doing, it can be very liberating. A guy can bear the weight easier. I would have done this for you at your mother's passing.

I got a phone call from Jonas in late December. Over a distance of 2000 miles, he offered a few words that dropped about 500 lbs. from my shoulders. When we were off the phone, I put the 500 lbs. back on but it was not near as heavy as it once was. I don’t think Jonas knew how much he had helped. I should have told him. Gratitude unspoken isn’t worth a red cent.

Because I lived my life as a firefighter, I learned to look at brotherhood a little different than many men do. Our crew had this agreement that no one would go in unless we all went in and no one would come out unless we all came out. That is a huge commitment to your fellow man.

I think the goodness of man that is fostered in the PW community far outweighs the badness we see in the headlines of the paper each day. It is a brotherhood no less good than what I had with my crew on Engine 2.

It is a huge gift we have here and I am thankful for it. No one goes in unless we all go in and no one comes out unless we all come out. I will keep those words my whole life.

Comment

A friend of mine who has been with me since junior high school attended a gun show with me last Saturday. I told him I had an important mission; to find a Buck 112 for someone who needed it.

He thought it was great fun as we looked.

Communication occurs in multiple forms. It was my best effort to communicate, knowing all that I did.

Kevin teaches us much in his column, The Long View, in the magazine each month.

I told Kevin he may never be able to be just like me, but having a Buck 112 is a start....
                        Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

Comment

Gordon, when I read Kevin's posts and his writing in The Long View, I know he is very much like you. I've watched this Power Wagon Nation develop amazing friendships between individuals who have never met. This place is something of a Mayberry. It's a community of fellowship. Keep it going!

Comment

A postscript.

To those of you who do not subscribe. You miss a lot by missing Kevin's Long View.
                            Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

Comment

I usually skip reading The Long View, but the rest of the magazine is worth the subscription price.

The magazine has gone the distance of 25 years, almost 26 now, and the editorial column “Sitting on the Tailgate” has been instrumental in the attitude and outlook of the whole community, in fact, the very existence of the community.

Mayberry is a fitting correlation. As a moderator of these forums, I am like Barney with a gun on his hip and a bullet in his pocket, a bullet he will never need.

Comment

Working...
                              X