If your home was built pre 1978...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If your home was built pre 1978...

I just got back from an all day trip to take an 8 hr course to gain my EPA certification in renovation on structures containing lead based paint. New rules will go into effect this week (4-22-10) stating that if you hire an outside contractor to do remodeling/renovation/painting or any other work where any existing lead based paint is disturbed, that contractor will need to be EPA certified. This only applies to residential homes/apts or buildings that generally are occupied by children (schools, daycare centers, libraries, churches, etc) built prior to 1978, the year that all lead based paint was outlawed from household use in the US.

If you do work on the house that you own & reside in, then you are exempt, but not rental property. If the amount of work being done on a home is below a certain size, then no certification is required.

Fines for violations can be as high as $37,500 per occurance!

These restrictions have been slipped upon us for the last several years. The law that goes into effect Thursday was actually put on the books in 2008, with 2010 being the compliance date. The cost for a contractor to become certified is Approximately $250 per person, plus each "firm" has to pay a "$300" fee too. If a contractor is a self-employed sole proprietorship with zero employees, he/she has to pay both the fee for his company & pay for his individual certification.

Certifications must be renewed every five years.

Your government is slowing taking over every aspect of your life!

I no longer intend to work on residential properties constructed prior to 1978.

Bucky

I'm up against the same thing. I didn't hear anything about this until recently. Did they give you your certification on completion of your test? I've heard horror stories of paying the fees and having to wait to get it. Like you said more bureaucratic BS to give someone a job and make it harder to stay in business. How hard is the test? Guess I better get signed up.

Comment

Ron, honestly I knew nothing about this law until several weeks ago. The local Sherwin-Williams paint rep told my employer & myself about it. Sherwin-Williams underwrote the majority of our fees (they paid $150 of the $250 fee) for about 40 contractors in our area, mainly customers who regularly buy their products. The course is given by an representive who works for a third party firm that the EPA uses to give the classes all over the country. It is very similar to how driver's ed teachers are used to teach state approved defensive driving course, only this is a national thing. Anyways S-W furnished all materials used in the course (8 hrs). They are truly putting the interests of their contractors as a high priority, because these contractors are who buy their paint/sundries.

The course itself is kinda remedial, but with alot of facts that are good to know. Part of the course is actual "containment area preparation" type exercises, such as proper masking of a doorway to prevent dust transfer, and proper disposal of all materials after clean-up. There is a 25 question multiple choice test given at the end of the course. I missed 3 questions, for a score of 88. One test question that I missed I don't think the instructor actually coverd because 95% of the class missed it as well. Yes they took our picture & our certification cards are supposedly on the way. You have got me to wondering. Oh well S-W & my employer paid my way, plus I was paid my wages for being there by my employer as well. Lunch is included with the course.

Honestly the EPA will generally only go after big time contractors in larger cities. But I can see where ticked off former employees, customers or fellow competitors could report a company that is in violation, just to get even so to speak......Also this is not just for painters. If a plumber/electrician/carpenter/whoever does a job where existing lead based paint is disturbed (sanding,drilling,cutting) in large enough scale (anything over 6 sq ft area interior) then they too needed a certified renovator over the job.

Testing for lead based paint will become more common now in residential work. Kits are currently available at paint/hardware stores, but only one "brand" is currently EPA approved.

Once again big brother is using "interest in public health/welfare" to further impose money making regulations upon the back of the working man.

Also understand that Certification for renovation is NOT the same thing as certification for lead based paint abatement/remediation, at least not in the gov eyes...That requires a different class/certification (40 hrs) or in other words more money......HUD & OSHA also have their own requirements to meet. This is an EPA deal I attended today. Its possible to be fined by multiple agencies

Bucky

Comment

Just some facts

Lead based paint was stopped in 1978 from household use. Most major manufacturers stopped using lead decades earlier. Of homes built from 1960-1978, only 1 out of 4 has lead paint. The older the structure the greater the likelihood of the presence of lead. Over 90% before 1930.

Lead is mainly dangerous to children/pregnant woman. It gets into the body through inhalation/ingestion (mouth/nose), goes through the blood stream & finally is deposited into the bones.

It is mainly a danger if it becames airborne (sanding dust, fumes from heating such as heat gun removal) or if eaten (children chewing on something containing lead).

These new rules don't apply to none residencial structures unless children regularly occupy them..... So if you are remodeling that 90 yr old bank downtown, you don't have anything to worry about. (yet)

Houses built post 1978....NO problem!

Homeowners doing work on their own home.....No problem!

EPA says that 1 gram of lead ( a Sweet-N-Lo pak) is enough to contaminate 250 10'x10' rooms......2 grams will contaminate a football field.

Invest in companies that make HEPA filters & vacuums.

Bucky

Comment

Thanks for this information. I can understand the root of all this. It is easy to see the need for some of this regulation. I am not a bit surprised. As with a lot of this type of situation - enforcement - is not readily available to cover the violations that occur. This will take a while to get in gear.
          It reminds me of the refrigerant regs that came from the Montreal Protocol back in the early 90's. Guys in my trade became CFC certified technicians based on a classroom study and test basis. Made the EPA happy and satisfied the 40CFR part 82 code. It was rather expensive too.
          Now you can't get an interview without one in your wallet.

Comment

Thanks!!! for the update!

Comment

Working...
            X