Type of internet service

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 712edf View Post
    Of those 3 pictures that you posted in the "size" thread that got deleted, the middle sized one I believe would work the best. While my screen/format handled the larger one easily, I'm sure my Dad's old Compag monitor wouldn't w/o a scroll.

Just thought I'd throw that here since "there" is no longer "there".

Bucky
    There will be coming to a there near you soon.

http://www.powerwagonadvertiser.com/...ad.php?t=11420

Kevin will start another thread.
    Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

Comment

Originally posted by 712edf View Post
      Dave, could you spray something on the dish to prevent the snow from sticking? WD-40, diesel, Rain-X? I am assuming the dish is at some angle & not pointed straight up.

Just a thought.

Bucky
      That is a thought. If one knew a storm was coming, get up there and spray it down.

Comment

Originally posted by Doc Dave View Post
        That is a thought. If one knew a storm was coming, get up there and spray it down.
        I would think 'Pam' cooking spray or quality Auto Wax would be best.
        Less dust attraction.
        They do a Great job on my snow plow moldboard.
        TGP
        WDX & Misc. Pics.
        http://www.t137.com/cpg/index.php?cat=10010
        "47" Dodge WDX WW
        "52" Dodge M-37 WW
        "54" Willys M38A1
        "65" Kaiser M35A1 WW
        "77" Chev. K-30 400T,205,4.56 "No-Spin"
        "84" Chev, K-30 Cummins 6-BTA 400,205,3.73Locker
        "86" Chev, M1028A2 (K30) 6.2,400.205,4.56 Locker
        "99" Dodge Durango "Limited Slip"
        "99" Dodge 3500 CTD 4x4"No-Spin"

Comment

Glad I don't have any neighbors to take a picture of me polishing the dish with turtle wax, LOL.
          Actually that is a good idea. Next winter I might try it.

Comment

I'm on hughesnet satelite. only problem is my modem had to be replaced once.

Comment

We live in Ultra rural Pennsyalvania, Getting internet sevice was interesting. We finally hooked up with Frontier isp. I never heard of it until we moved here ,it works very well, better than Earthlink. Not so many bells and whistles but I seldom use all that stuff anyway.
              Question, Hughsnet or what ever its called I understand it works off a dish. I watch the ads and I noticed they say "you can CHECK email. " Is there a way to send email with it?

Comment

Yes, It is just like other internet servers. You can send and receive email, but your transmission speed is slower than your down load.
                Also, Hughes has a little "gotcha" that can hit you if you or someone in your family likes to download movies or video games (large files). They have a cap on how much you can download in a 24 hour period. IF you exceed this, they have an automatic feature that then slows your subsequent downloads to dial up speed for another 12-24 hours. This is apparently their form of negative reinforcement to the customer. The first time this happened I was perplexed, it was because my son downloaded a movie or something I did not know about. When the internet slowed to a crawl, I called support and was told what the deal was. This protocol of thiers was a change from when I originally signed up. It does not effect me normally. But the other day my daughter in law downloaded a movie after my wife and I went to bed and zap. So now ALL guests know NOT to do that.

Comment

Hmm. I may be displaying my ignorance here but I cant see how you can send email back up to the satellite without some sort of transmiter.

Comment

Originally posted by Kaiser2boy View Post
                    Hmm. I may be displaying my ignorance here but I cant see how you can send email back up to the satellite without some sort of transmiter.
                    As I understand it (and keep in mind I'm a bit of a luddite) only the download aspect is by satellite . Upload is by conventional means i.e. phone lines or cell site or perhabs cup and string.

Comment

Contact Hughes and/or wildblue through their websites.
                      Talk to their people. I do not want to speculate how it is done because that is definitely not by area of expertise. I only know that it works; my responding to this question is proof of that.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Thompson View Post
                        As I understand it (and keep in mind I'm a bit of a luddite) only the download aspect is by satellite . Upload is by conventional means i.e. phone lines or cell site or perhabs cup and string.

Again I say Hmm. I will have to call them. I am thinking that if you have Hughs net you did it because there is no other way. if you need a land line for email you would need a provider for that service. If you have a provider for email it would work for internet also and be counter productive .
                        I will call Hughs net .

Comment

Contact Hughes and/or wildblue through their websites.
                          Talk to their people. I do not want to speculate how it is done because that is definitely not by area of expertise. I only know that it works; my responding to this question is proof of that.

Mark Twain did not say this but it is still good.

There are three reasons why a dog can be better than a wife.

1. The later you stay out the happier they are when you come home.

2. They dont get angry if you pet another dog.

3. if you happen to pass gas they find it interesting.

Oh yes there is one more, try locking your dog and your wife in the car trunk for an hour and see who gives you the best greeting when you open it up.

Comment

Mark Twain did not say this but it is still good.

There are three reasons why a dog can be better than a wife.

1. The later you stay out the happier they are when you come home.

2. They dont get angry if you pet another dog.

3. if you happen to pass gas they find it interesting.

Oh yes there is one more, try locking your dog and your wife in the car trunk for an hour and see who gives you the best greeting when you open it up.

There's also the one about the wife yelling to open the back door and the dog barking to get in at the front. What to do.
                            Open the front door first, the dog will stop barking when you do.......

Comment

Gordon,
                              My wife and I live in a semi-rural area on a dead end road.... One other caveat. If you get snow on your satellite dish, your internet goes down. That is not a problem if the dish is on the ground and you can clean the snow off. But in my case the satellite had to go on the roof.
                              Yes, I would feel quite lonely while the wife is on the roof cleaning off the dish....= )

Comment

Norm! Good to see you posting again!
                                I think the odds of Diane going on the roof to shovel snow is, well, pretty remote, haha

Comment

Working...
                                X