Baseball stats...new is not always better...like our PW's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Baseball stats...new is not always better...like our PW's

The next time some guy starts gushing about a 450 foot home run, think about what you read in the link below regarding Mickey Mantle's titanic home run shots- many over his long career.

The 630-plus foot figure they come up with is the CONSERVATIVE estimate of the ball he hit against Kansas City in Yankee Stadium. A more liberal estimate is over a 100 feet more.

What he did is unbelievable to me especially when one takes into account he was not “big” in size, had no weight training, no steroids, and he did not take care of his body like most modern athletes.

Just like with our trucks, new is not always better. I saw a comparison of Mantle's home runs to the modern slugger Mark McGuire's and it showed that Mantle hit many more long home runs, even though he was 50# lighter, and did not work out with weights, etc.

http://www.themick.com/10homers.html

great post Doc it is a wonder that nobody ever got one out of Yankee Stadium during a game over the years. And I agree the newer isn't always better thing.

Comment

Yes,
      Somewhere on that same website I think it said that at batting practice he hit few balls out but I am not certain. Now that the old Yankee stadium is gone the record of no one ever clearing the bleachers in a game will stand forever.
      I understand his hometown in n.e. Oklahoma has sort of made a memorial to him there. Have you ever seen it?

Comment

we have never made the trip up to see mickey's home town but every time we go to bricktown we check out the statue in front of the ballpark

Comment

Working...
        X