Anyone own a CETME? (firearm)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone own a CETME? (firearm)

My neighbor wants to sell his CETME rifle. .308 caliber with (2) 20 round mags and (1) 5 round mag (for hunting I assume). It is a Century Arms built rifle, assembled from a Spanish parts kit in Vermont, with the required amount of US made parts. Does anyone own one and how do you like it? I had one of their L1A1's and it was a great rifle. I'm just looking to add a MBR to the bug-out kit that fires a full sized cartridge, and not break the bank.
    Attached Files

Cetme?

Mr. Jonas Smith,

I have never owned a Cetme, but I have sold several. They are a copy of the HK G3 battle rifle and the civilian legal HK-91. I have owned an HK-91.

They are a little rough but serviceable. There are also some other excellent choices for your intended application.

Feel free to PM me if you want additional information.

Comment

I don't own one, but would like to.

It is my understanding they are highly reliable and tolerant of abuse and dirt, but are very hard on the brass, raising issues for reloading.

Do some web research on that design, though I suspect you have already. You will find it interesting.

I also like the look of them. I think you should buy it.
      Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

Comment

Originally posted by Longhunter7 View Post
        Mr. Jonas Smith,

I have never owned a Cetme, but I have sold several. They are a copy of the HK G3 battle rifle and the civilian legal HK-91. I have owned an HK-91.

They are a little rough but serviceable. There are also some other excellent choices for your intended application.

Feel free to PM me if you want additional information.
        By rough, you mean the clones, and not the HK's, correct?

Comment

Cetme?

Gordon,

Yes, let me clarify, I did mean the Cetme is a little rough compared to some of the other battle rifles available.

It all depends on how important the MBR (main battle rifle) is in your plans. Spend a little more and never look back.

The M1 Garand is a great choice and can be purchased from the CMP (civilian marksmanship program) for $600.00

There are some requirements that have to be met to qualify to purchase an M1 Garand, but aren't difficult to achieve.

Comment

Do you like the Garand better than the M1A Springfield?

Comment

Garand?

The advantage of the Garand is the price. You can get a nice Garand for $600.00.

A nice M1A will cost you at least twice that. Basically an M1A is a modified M1 Garand with a twenty round magazine.

The gas operating system is the same in both rifles. The only major difference between them is twenty round capacity for the M1A and eight rounds for the Garand.

I figure that I can do what needs to be done with eight rounds. If that doesn't work I have plan B.

Comment

Cetme

Actually, as I understand it, the HK 91 is a copy of the original CETME.
                I am thinking I am will buy it. I dont have a .308 auto-loader, but I do have $500 in the sock drawer the wife has forgotten about (I hope)
                The price is fair ($450, no tax, no shipping, and no paper), and I figure if I dont like it, I can sell it without much trouble.
                It does destroy the brass, but I dont reload and dont plan on it. I sat on a relaoding kit for 2 years till I traded it to a re-loader for 500 rds of .223, and 500 rds of 9mm.
                I'll just buy a 200rd block of Russian to run through it, and if I like it buy a case of the stuff. I have a 3-9x scope, and would like to make it my DMR if it's as accurate as some of the claims I am reading. There are some nice bi-pods available out there also.

Comment

Cetme?

There does seem to be some controversy about who was first, but the HK system is certainly an improvement.

That being said, you will find the Cetme just fine for your application.

Good luck and keep us posted with a range report.

Comment

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heckler_&_Koch_G3

Comment

Nice picture set. Go to the home page also. Super detailed photos of the owners other firearms.

http://50ae.net/collection/cetme/

Comment

Cetme?

Check out www.warrifles.com for opinions on the Cetme.

Comment

I had a gunsmith tell me his favorite was the FN FAL. I can't recall his main points, but one was that it has an adjustable gas system?

I have some difficulty embracing their looks. As I googled FN FAL, it seems some now look a bit different than I recall.

One of everything is a great idea....

Comment

I had a FN L1A1 which is a Canadian FN FAL. It was a fine rifle, as I remember, I dont know why I ever sold it. I remember I had a hard time getting used to the charging handle being on the left side of the rifle. Now I prefer them that way, I can keep my right hand on fire control, and do any other manipulations with my left.

Of course I have a friend who swears by the AK as the all around one single weapon to own. They are sturdy, reliable guns, but whenever I see somebody holding one, I think "that's a bad guy".

Comment

Battle Rifles

The list of most popular battle rifles include the FN Fal, and its several versions, Springfield M1A, M1 Garand, the 1903-A3 bolt action, the K98 Mauser, and the Russian Mosin Nagant.

I'm sure that I missed some, but that should be most of them.

Choosing by price is not the best way to select the best choice.

Comment

Working...
                              X