Reading a new book.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reading a new book.....

I picked up Shop Class as Soulcraft in the airport. I'm just past the introduction. So far, it fits right in with most of our philosophy on work around here.

It is very good. An interesting read, and the author is an interesting person, don't you think?
    Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

Comment

I thought it was a very interesting book. Mathew is a fellow knuckle banger.

Comment

So far so good. I have to admit it is a bit heady for me. I find myself going back and re-reading parts in order to make sure I understand what he's saying.

Comment

I picked it up a while back, but I haven't started it yet. Still perusing a book by Mario Salvadori about basic architecture. That's a good one, too.

Comment

I have read this book as well... I really enjoyed it. I feel privileged that I was able to have a full program of shop classes (metal and wood) and auto shop in high school.

Comment

Thanks for turning me onto this book. Momma, bless her heart, found a paperback copy for me yesterday and I love it. I can't remember when I last enjoyed a book so much.

An excerpt that I particularly love is found on page 84. When describing one of his mentors, the author writes: "His orange bus, with wheel wells cut away to accommodate large off-road tires in the back, was a chaotic treasure trove of superb American handguns, Snap-on tools, and VW parts. The darkness behind the cab carried a sharp note of Berryman's B-12 Chemtool on top of a more subtle smell that is generic to mechanics...a mixed-up aroma of various petroleum distillates that had been oxidized by combustion, thickened with road grime, and ripened on a substrate of shop rags to the point of acquiring substance. He kept a large tank of CO2 in his bus for running an air impact wrench, indispensable for swapping out the transaxle on a race car in the desert."

It is rare to find a book that I can connect to my own world. Thanks again Jonas.

Comment

I read this book twice when it came out, and posted something about it on this forum, somewhere. Wish I knew what happened to my copy. I'd like to read it again.

Comment

Working...
                X