planting by the signs of the moon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• planting by the signs of the moon

Does anyone here recall being taught by their ancestors things concerning crop planting, hole digging, livestock slaughtering, livestock castration, medical procedures/surgeries or any of the other various agrarian activities common to the "old time" way of life being based on the various phases of the moon, seasons, or signs of the strars?

For instance when you dig post holes, the phase of the moon supposedly determines if you have too much, too little or just right amount of dirt. Thus if a post-hole is dug at the wrong time, that fence will always be loose.

There was a series of magazines (Foxfire magazines) which were compiled into books (the first in 1972 called the Foxfire Book) which explain some of these old time ways, anecdotes & remedies.

I'm just curious as to what didn't get passed on to my generation ( I'm 42)as technology replaced "lore".

Enlighten me fellows. My Grandma passed away last year

Bucky

Years ago I enjoyed reading the Foxfire books.

Whenever the moon is full it seems to cause the neighbor's dogs to bark and howl. They live about a half mile away.
    Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

Comment

It is amazing to me that the information on lunar cycles of farming survived at all, considering the suppression by the church of such knowledge and practice.
      In addition to the Foxfire books I have always kept copies of Thomas Jefferson's Farm and Garden books. They are full of interesting and helpful information.
      I also have an old book on post and beam construction which includes descriptions of tools to fabricate and how to use them. My brother has a copy of John Hawes Blacksmithing book . Hawes was a blacksmith that came from a line of smiths over the course of three hundred years. Most of the master smiths in his lineage had kept journals that included drawings and specs for all manner of implements. It was printed in 1849 and very few copies remain today.

Comment

Backwoods Home Magazine

The Foxfire books can still be ordered through BHM. Guy could fill a couple big bookcases with old-timey info they offer for sale.
        Farmer's Almanac is a good source of lunar tables and such, even if they're not real accurate at predicting the weather...

Comment

Working...
        X