Mechanic's gloves

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mechanic's gloves

I have never worn gloves in automotive repair, not even when cleaning part with solvent. I believe we are seeing the use of gloves by professionals more and more. Some are fabric and some resemble surgical gloves.

What are your views and experiences? My first interest has to do with solvent use, and I wonder about the rest of it.

Have you ever worked with gloves?
    Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

I wear gloves more than I used to. I'm not good at small nuts, bolts etc. though with gloves. Definitely trying to be more careful than before with solvents, degreasers, whatever. I used to really abuse my hands. Even mixing paint I force myself to use disposable gloves, once in a while I'll get careless though.

Comment

A Must Have 4 Me

My hands are so messed up from all the temperature diff's I have put them through. (Hot & Cold)
      I like the leather palms for most of the shop work, nitrile, powder free for paint & paint-prep.
      Plus being in the kitchen, I don't want/need greasy black cuticles, or OD fingers. ;~)

Comment

I work in solvents alot. I have always used some sort of rubber/neoprene, latex or whatever type glove to protect my hands. Look at old painters. Their nails are about to fall out & skin is always peeling. I don't want that. I use different gloves for different tasks. Sometimes those cheap disposable latex surgical gloves are good for dealing with nuts & bolts. No they don't last long & your hands get sweaty, but better than nothing.

BTW baby oil is a very good skin protector & hand cleaner for when dealing with oil/alkyd based paints & petroleum based automotive products. Apply before "getting greasy" then use it again to clean up. Plus leaves your skin baby soft.

Bucky

Comment

As they preach in the military "always wear your protection".

Frank

Comment

I used to be a bare handed he-man ,no more.Think of ear protection when you shoot or eyewear side shields when you do everything else.I have earplugs on a string around my neck everywhere I go and have AO safety prescriptions in clear and shades.Scars are tattoos with better stories.I have so many on my hands I've forgotten some of the stories.

Comment

I too wear different types of gloves.
              The mechanic style are ok for general use and will let you handle small parts easily.
              However I don't like them for oily or greasy things because they soak it in and transfer it to your hands.
              Mostly at work I use " Derma-Lite" lightly powdered Nitrile gloves from CarQuest for heavily oiled items or leather work glove for most everything else.
              You definitely need some type protection when dealing with parts from machines that I have to deal with.
              TGP
              Attached Files
              WDX & Misc. Pics.
              http://www.t137.com/cpg/index.php?cat=10010
              "47" Dodge WDX WW
              "52" Dodge M-37 WW
              "54" Willys M38A1
              "65" Kaiser M35A1 WW
              "77" Chev. K-30 400T,205,4.56 "No-Spin"
              "84" Chev, K-30 Cummins 6-BTA 400,205,3.73Locker
              "86" Chev, M1028A2 (K30) 6.2,400.205,4.56 Locker
              "99" Dodge Durango "Limited Slip"
              "99" Dodge 3500 CTD 4x4"No-Spin"

Comment

Nice engine hoist you have there Tom.

Bucky

Comment

I have never worn gloves either, but I have learned that wearing gloves is not just about protecting hands. Solvents enter your bloodstream through absorbtion and/or inhalation and have the potential to destroy vital organs.

Even with solvents that are billed as being non-toxic, it is still good practice to wear rubber gloves when working with solvent.

My dad worked in a large printing plant for nearly 50 years. Toxic chemicals destroyed his pulmonary system and he suffers every minute of his life because of it. The men he worked with are ALL dead or dying from related conditions.

Whenever working with chemicals that you are unsure of, protect yourself from absorption and INHALATION hazards.

If you have ever seen someone you love unable to take in a breath, you will start wearing gloves. I did.

By the way Gordon, I am in Cedar Rapids this weekend and would have loved to get together, but the schedule has been pressing. In fact I am running behind schedule now and must get moving. Wear PROTECTIVE GLOVES with solvent always.
                  Last edited by Kevin Mienke; 09-27-2010, 08:36 PM.

Comment

Ditto.
                    I started wearing gloves about 15 years ago when I was on a pit crew.
                    The "work" gloves like Mechanics wear are good for protecting your hands from impact and fast action, as some versions have knuckle and back of finger protection.
                    These gloves are terrible for working with oily or dirty parts, so for that I use the nitrile gloves.
                    The nitrile gloves do not breathe so i have not found a good all around glove yet, one glove for all things.
                    I use the nitrile for small parts, detail work,painting and very oily parts, I use the "mechanic type" gloves for sharp, hot, dirty parts.
                    It's amazing how well you will do at home with the Mrs, when you have clean hands and fingernails...= )

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Petroff View Post
                      The mechanic style are ok for general use and will let you handle small parts easily.
                      However I don't like them for oily or greasy things because they soak it in and transfer it to your hands.
                      Mostly at work I use " Derma-Lite" lightly powdered Nitrile gloves from CarQuest for heavily oiled items or leather work glove for most everything else.
                      You definitely need some type protection when dealing with parts from machines that I have to deal with.
                      TGP
                      Neat picture!

Comment

I have tried many styles, materials and types. I like mechanix fabricator gloves for sheet metal welding, and as far as latex, most are too thin, so you tear them a lot. Thick ones I cannot feel. The best balance for ME has been raven gloves.

Comment

I mostly follow the above. Mechanics gloves for wrenching on parts and nitrile gloves for dealing with oils, and paints. I also have some heavy rubber gloves for the parts cleaner and really nasty solvents.

Comment

I use and have used all manner of gloves. Both as a peace officer and a mechanic. I don't wear them around spinning machinery as I am rather partial to my fingers. I always have a couple pair of sterile gloves in the console in case I have to render first aid. In law enforcement it has become necessary to maintain both nitrile type and hardened gloves to avoid exposure to disease or needle stick injury. As a mechanic I use polyester spandex gloves . For yard work or stock work I use leather with a reinforced palm. For handling firearms I wear cotton .
                            The main problem with all of them is finding them in my size. I didn't pick up the nickname "Bearpaw" for no reason.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Petroff View Post
                              TGP
                              Wow, that is quite a machine! I don't know that I will ever be near there, but it would be fun to get a tour of your place.

Comment

Working...
                              X