Made in The USA?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Made in The USA?

I am going to get myself a early Christmas present this year. I have always wanted a nice wool Mackinaw coat that could be handed down for generations. As always trying to get Made in the USA. I went to Filson in Seattle where the coats are actually made.

http://www.filson.com/products/doubl...taProduct=1011

As I looked in the back, I was surprised to see that all the workers looked to be from Thailand, Indonesia, or Vietnam.
    The coat is about $350 out the door.

Next door to Filson is another outdoor supply place that carry the Woolrich brand. They use wool made here in The USA, but the coat itself is made in Thailand.

http://www.woolrich.com/woolrich/bro...ct=503&icSort=

I e-mailed woolrich to ask if they had any of these coats made in the USA. This was the response:

"No. At Woolrich, we take pride in our commitment to provide authentic product of high quality and value for men and women who love the outdoors. For American apparel companies to survive and grow in this past decade and in the future, we have all had to become truly global. Our company has been able to increase American employment in marketing, merchandising, administration, and retail. Although we manufacture many of our garments (or components) overseas, they are designed by us and meet our strict quality standards and specifications. We employ 650 people in the U.S.A and operate one of the oldest, continuous running woolen mills in the country. Woolrich strives to keep as much manufacturing here as possible, but companies today have little choice but to compete in a global economy. When consumers choose to purchase Woolrich products, even those products made in foreign countries, they continue to support our 650 American employees.

While manufacturing garments abroad, Woolrich strives to ensure that our products are produced under fair working conditions in safe and healthy environments. We do not condone or conduct business with anyone engaged in illegal or inhumane practices. Woolrich requires that all factories, companies, or individuals we do business with and obtain products from -- whether in the United States or elsewhere -- comply with the respective laws of their countries and with all other applicable laws, rules and regulations, including U.S. import requirements, and our own Woolrich code of business practices."

I'm unsure of which business is better to support with my purchase.

It makes you wonder where Woolrich gets their wool. American sheep?

It is a dilemma. You can buy a Dodge truck made in Mexico and a Toyota made in Kentucky.

One way to look at it would be which choice would keep more money in the US?
    Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

Comment

Working...
    X