1st generation Cummins value

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1st generation Cummins value

A local individual has a beater 91 D250 truck for sale.

177,000 cummins with automatic OD.

Supposedly no mechanical issues. It runs/drives.

Price $2000

These 1st generation diesels seem highly esteemed for those wanting to do a conversion. Is this a bad price? The truck seems usable as-is, and you don't find these engines in the junk yard.

I haven't been in the market to do any kinda of diesel conversion. However should I take that fancy sometime in the future, would this ( the $2000 beater) possibly be a good place to start?

Bucky

Originally posted by 712edf View Post
    A local individual has a beater 91 D250 truck for sale.

177,000 cummins with automatic OD.

Supposedly no mechanical issues. It runs/drives.

Price $2000

These 1st generation diesels seem highly esteemed for those wanting to do a conversion. Is this a bad price? The truck seems usable as-is, and you don't find these engines in the junk yard.

I haven't been in the market to do any kinda of diesel conversion. However should I take that fancy sometime in the future, would this ( the $2000 beater) possibly be a good place to start?

Bucky
    Well that depends alot on what you want to swap the cummins into... In reality its a headache to swap such a large engine into an M37 or a FFPW. Can it be done? Sure, but its an awful lot of work. If your looking at a more modern fullsize Dodge (D or W series) it might make more sense. Eitherway, if its a decent truck, its probably worth it. I don't think you'd have much issue with selling the truck and recouperating your investment later down the road...

Comment

I don't know how the body/interior is on the truck you mention, however I haven't seen a truck that vintage with a Cummins for less than $10,000 here.
      I gave less than that for my 91 D150 that had only 61,300 miles on it when I bought it and is worth between 2500 and 3 grand according to Kelly Blue book
      If I had the chance to get a truck for that I would be all over it
      Tom

Comment

here it is

http://wichitafalls.craigslist.org/cto/1983828336.html

I will check it out to see what's NOT being disclosed in the ad or over the phone.

I currently need another hole in my head more than another project, BUT a running/driving Cummins/auto combo might be worth the investment.

Bucky

Comment

I looked at this truck in person today. 3.54 rear ratio. No visible leaks under the motor. Small bit of tranny fluid near rear output seal. The engine is rather clean, looks like it was dormant for a while at some point. Dirt dobbers & spider webs on the block. Interior looks pretty good, vinyl floor & nice red bench seat. Windshield needs replaced. Front suspension looks worn. Body aint bad, but original paint was faded so someone kryloned most of it. The taligate looks brand new so I suspect it was off of the vehicle most of its life, or a replacement. Bed has been cut for a gooseneck hitch.

This truck doesn't used to have been jerry-rigged or modified in any way.

I think this has been a farm truck mainly. I will contact the seller, who is a used equipment dealer.

This truck is too cheap to not have something hidden wrong with it.

Bucky

Comment

Looks Great to me!
            TGP
            WDX & Misc. Pics.
            http://www.t137.com/cpg/index.php?cat=10010
            "47" Dodge WDX WW
            "52" Dodge M-37 WW
            "54" Willys M38A1
            "65" Kaiser M35A1 WW
            "77" Chev. K-30 400T,205,4.56 "No-Spin"
            "84" Chev, K-30 Cummins 6-BTA 400,205,3.73Locker