leaf spring swords??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• leaf spring swords??

talking to a longhaired tattoed guy at a garage sale. When he finds out I play with old trucks, he politely asks for any scrap leaf springs. he makes swords out of them. he's coming over for lunch next weekend. fascinating guy

not a bad idea!

When they outlaw guns I may take a stab at it.

Bucky

Comment

Originally posted by 712edf View Post

Bucky
      You can also make a 420 pound pull crossbow with a leaf spring. I was making one in high school with plans from Popular Mechanics. I was using a model A main spring which I hacksawed into shape.

Frank

Comment

Originally posted by 712edf View Post

Bucky
        Good pun.
        Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

Comment

My Sicilian grandfather made all manner of stone chisels and prybars out of old leaf springs. We still have some of them around. I am told that Ford (Model T&A) were considered the best.

My 13 year old nephew has been making knives out of files. His Dad tells me the files on his workbench have been disappearing. I am going to give him some leaves next time he is here and see how he likes them. Oh yeah and I will keep my files locked up.

Comment

I suspect a knife maker could bring some informed comment regarding the metallurgy of springs and files. Those material have been used in the past by people new to the hobby or short of materials.

A spring leaf certainly offers a large piece of stock.
            Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

Comment

Wasn't it mentioned in Hemmingway's novel "The Old Man and the Sea" that the tip of a fishing spear should be made from the leaf spring of an old Ford?

Comment

Do him a favor and don't give him any broken or really flat springs. I have recycled one or two of those into blades over the years, big mistake. It's quite frustrating to find spiderwebs of micro fractures when you get to the 2000 grit finish sanding stage, or have one shatter in the HT oven. I have however had good success using NOS springs, or cut-off's from the spring manufacturer, or even gently used springs can sometimes be good.

Though these days I prefer to buy good new cutlery grade steels from a reliable source. Heat-treating ( hardening & tempering ) an un-known spring steel is always a bit of a crapshoot for me, but I usually have good luck heat-treating it like 1075 or 5160. Essentially, heating to aprox 1550f-1600f, 2-3 min at full temp, then quench in oil (I use canola )then immediately temper 1hr in a pre-heated oven at a minimum of 450f - higher & longer for bigger blades.

No matter what, its cheap stock to practice on, I hope he has fun !

Keep Hammering !

Jens

Comment

Working...
                X