More for your fuel dollars...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More for your fuel dollars...

With the new political landscape in Washington, it might be possible to start doing something about getting more power in gasoline and less oxygenates. That would also be a step forward for our "classic" engines. Anyone hear of any legislation being introduced to limit ethanol, MTBE, etc. in gas?

Up here in British Columbia we have Shell gas that is somehow "Nitrogen enriched"

Comment

That is part of Shell's national advertising push down in the states too. All their stations have these ads. Have no idea if it is bogus or really helps.
      I would sure like to see a move with the new Congress for fuel like what Maine says.

Comment

The last I heard NYS is mandating 15% methanol for all pump gasoline.

Comment

Originally posted by QuantumJo View Post
          The last I heard NYS is mandating 15% methanol for all pump gasoline.
          Is that what is now termed E85, or is this something else?

As a practical matter, owners of fuel businesses have some real costs in setting up pumps for even more fuels. My favorite fuel stop had a lot of expense from that the last time a fuel was added.
          Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

Comment

From what I know, States have the power to regulate ethanol content in fuel, except in "Non-Attainment" air quality areas. Ethanol is not added at the refinery, it's shipped seperately and mixed in just before delivery to the gas station. It would be a real good thing if ethanol content were limited to 3-5% maximum, this ratio has been used for 25 years without any problems.

15% has been approved by EPA for 2007 and newer vehicles, but will likely take awhile, since gas stations would have to install blending pumps or seperate tanks.

This whole headache would go away if the Federal ethanol mandate requiring a certain percentage to be used in gasoline were scaled back. That's where some legislative surgery needs to be done...

With respect to "Nitrogen Enrichment"- it's being pitched as a fuel system cleaner. Seems like another additive the user should decide on.

If enough States cut ethanol % back, that might set the stage for a Federal re-think of the situation, so maybe that's where we should start...

Comment

Living out in Ca. all we have is crappy, over-oxygenated gas. Nitrogen doesn't help unless it's something like nitromethane or nitrous oxide, but they're only accelerate fuel ignition. Makes me want to go diesel. Considering Nitrogen is about 78% of our atmosphere I think it just adds volume to the gas without burning because it has a ridiculously high ignition point. As more stuff is added, you get less fuel.

Comment

Another Alcohol that may show up soon is Butanol. The Oil Companies like this one, because it's less water soluble, and has a MUCH lower vapor pressure, which reduces evaporative emissions.

Unfortunately, it will be difficult for carbureted or central fuel injection systems to use, because it vaporizes about like Diesel fuel. It would be a good thing to head this one off BEFORE it suddenly shows up in fuel as an "alternative" to people's Ethanol problems. If enough states prohibit its use before it gets started, that will be a BIG potential problem nipped in the bud.

Comment

Working...
                X