No announcement yet.

Photography

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I wish to qualify my response by adding that generally I choose the high quality image although some times I opt for the lower quality image for some purposes.
    I still use a film camera espsecially for black&white. I still have a supplier for plus x .
    I still own several 35mm cameras including an ancient Minolta I bought in Saigon a few decades back.
    I still percieve a difference between film and digital images although my resident experts tell me that I'm imagining things. Or that the digital image is far superior . They also tell me that anything I can do in a darkroom, they can do on a computer. I think there are some effects they cannot reproduce but I'll never convince them.
    I have embraced digital cameras and I recognize their utility, but I have a soft spot for film.
    I am still considering purchasing a High end digital SLR but haven't pulled the trigger yet.

Comment

Because I am forever finding myself explaining to Dodgers why their images are not suitable for printing, I want to work to educate digital camera users with regard to why they should choose high quality images. Storage media is not so cheap there is no reason to choose low quality. Furthermore, when you order 5x7 or 8x10 prints of baby Alice and discover they are muddy and pixelated, you will realize why small image files of low quality are not a good thing.

This is one of the reasons the RMHC Calender is no more. The number of quality image submissions just wasn't happening.

C.D.
      1949 B-1 PW (Gus)
      1955 C-3 PW (Woodrow)
      2001 Dodge 2500 (Dish...formerly Maney's Mopar)
      1978 Suzuki GS1000EC (fulfills the need...the need for speed)
      1954 Ford 860 tractor
      1966 Chrysler LS 16 sailboat (as yet un-named)
      UVA UVAM VIVENDO VARIA FITS

Comment

Gordon has been very patient about this subject, as he also gets many submissions with less than ideal digital photographs.

We had some issues with this with a recent submission of mine, and he helped guide me to change the setting on my Canon to a higher resolution setting among other things.

Part of my problem is the fact that digital cameras interface with computers, so you have to be fairly handy with the photo software in the computer you have. With my (new) Apple it automatically takes the images and imports them into the iphoto file. I tried to email the photos directly from the camera but I was not able to figure out how to do that with the Apple. After ensuring that the pictures were imported in a large size and the camera settings were made as noted above, the pictures turned out o.k.

For reasons I have never been able to fathom, while I can grasp a mechanical principle with a motor vehicle pretty well, and interpret blueprints and build a barn, etc., computers are like a foreign language to me, and so it is a constant effort for me to better grasp and understand them.

Comment

One thing that prevents users from learning important skills is the very thing that is supposed to help them; the software that accompanies the camera or the computer.

In most instances a camera will come with some sort of software that allows the person to get the images off the camera without having to think at all. The problem with that is it locks the user into the format and protocol of the provided software. Often it herds the person towards some upgrade of the software -- a hoped for sale.

I am not aware of any camera having removable media that can't be accommodated with a card reader. On a PC you use Windows Explorer and on a Mac you use the Finder.

I have had some users have automated software that automatically reduced the sizes of images at time of attachment to emails. Thus rendering all of their images unusable to me. Yet they did not even know how this was happening, as they told me the images were just as removed from the camera.

I encourage anyone to have a card reader.
          Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

Comment

Originally posted by Cheyenne Dave View Post
            Because I am forever finding myself explaining to Dodgers why their images are not suitable for printing, I want to work to educate digital camera users with regard to why they should choose high quality images. Storage media is not so cheap there is no reason to choose low quality. Furthermore, when you order 5x7 or 8x10 prints of baby Alice and discover they are muddy and pixelated, you will realize why small image files of low quality are not a good thing.

This is one of the reasons the RMHC Calender is no more. The number of quality image submissions just wasn't happening.

C.D.
            AMEN!!!
            I get sent these:

...and have to repeatedly explain why it's not usable!

We are 15 years past dial up technology, there are no more excuses for low resolution photos. ;)

Comment

Working...
            X