Member size

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Member size

Has anyone here ever been in a conversation with someone who thinks that they're the authority on everything they talk about? You know the type, over opinionated, will rarely back down from a position, a real know it all who is always game to see if they can propel urine farther than the next guy.

Yes,...but we tolerate your posts anyway... = )

Comment

I had a boss like that once.
      Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

Comment

Originally posted by Gordon Maney View Post
        I had a boss like that once.
        Ha! Ha! See definition of "boss"... = )

Comment

Originally posted by QuantumJo View Post
          Has anyone here ever been in a conversation with someone who thinks that they're the authority on everything they talk about? You know the type, over opinionated, will rarely back down from a position, a real know it all who is always game to see if they can propel urine farther than the next guy.
          Seriously now, ...ask them their sources or background on the subject, see how much really is knowledge or information and how much is just ego.
          Sometimes you find out they really know what they are talking about and sometimes you let them expose themselves as just talking to hear themselves talk.
          Either way, it can be informative... = )

Comment

Yes I have. I have also been in a conversation like that with a group of people that praise said person and take everything that person says as law without taking the time to process the information. That person may be a proven expert in a field, but being an expert does not mean you know everything or that your specific view is the only correct one.

Some people are intimately knowledgeable about a single subject. Some people are generally knowledgeable about a lot of subjects. Biases always play a part in any conversation.

If this thread was started in reference to a certain gas vs diesel topic I would prefer you send me a PM stating what you dont like about me and the way I post information. If not, disregard.

Comment

Originally posted by MoparNorm View Post
              Yes,...but we tolerate your posts anyway... = )
              Doh! °{°

Comment

Doh! °{°
                Oh sorry! I was looking in the mirror...ha! ha!

Comment

I do know people like that.

I also know people who are ultimate contrarians, engaging in conversation only for the sake of arguing. Something in their personality craves dissension.

They don’t necessarily care whether they are right or wrong. They don’t have any basis for a legitimate argument. They simply take the opposing opinion on everything. For them, the thrill is in the fight.

These people are easy to identify, hard to be around, and almost impossible to avoid, especially if they happen to be your Mother-in-Law.

Actually, I get along with my Mother-in Law fairly well, until she spins her head in a 360º rotation, starts to levitate, and does the voice of Rosemary’s Baby. Other than that, she’s ok.

Seriously now, after going through life listening to teachers and professors add their own twist to everything, a guy learns to have respect for simple facts. Most people don’t carry facts. They carry opinions. Learning to recognize each for what they are is important.

It seems to me that the barbershop was always a good place to go for getting the facts. You might have to sift through a number of opinions and theories, but the man with the truth is somewhere in your midst, waiting for a haircut.

A good rule of thumb at the barbershop is to listen to the man who speaks least and last. He is often times the man who knows the most. Walk into any real barbershop and ask, “What engine did Dodge use in the 1946 Civilian Power Wagon?” You might get six different answers, but ultimately you will get the correct answer, a T137, 230 inch, L-Head six. That is the answer that the quiet man gave.

You may have noticed that I said “real” barbershop. I should clarify by saying that many of the classic American barbershops have given way to strip mall places known as salons and boutiques. Be careful if you decide to go seeking knowledge in a boutique.

That’s my opinion.

Comment

You are talking about me. I know you are talking about me. You know I'm right so don't try to say otherwise. I know I'm right because I know everything about everything. Just ask me, you'll see.

Mine is bigger, better, older, newer. Its shinier, has more patina, more torque, more horsepower, and yes that whatchamacallit is a factory installed option. I know its a factory piece because I'm the fifteenth owner, just bought it yesterday, and I know all about those things.

And I can certainly p!ss farther than the next guy.

:0)

Comment

They call me mr. knowitall
I will not compromise.

I will not be told what to do.
I shall not step aside.

I have no time to waste.

My mouth it spews pure intellect.

And i've such elegant taste.

They call me mr. knowitall.

I sup the aged wine.

Oh i could tell such wonderous tales
If i should find the time.

I must be mr. knowitall
For ideas they come in bounds.

I am mr. knowitall
So spread the word around.

I am so eloquent.

Perfection is my middle name
And whatever rhymes with eloquent.

Lyrics from:
                      Band, Primus
                      Album, Frizzle Fry
                      Song, Mr. Knowitall

bet ya didn't know that Mr. Smarty Pants

Comment

interesting thread!

Bucky

Comment

mr knowitall

I used to be a knowitall, untill i stopped drinking. now people tell me I'm much more fun to be around. being right all the time is a tremendous burden. admitting that I dont know everything is liberating, and allows me to let my guard down and have fun. I'm really enjoying life. being the crazy truck guy from joisey with the silly hats at rallys is so much more rewarding than being that obnoxious #$%^ selfimportant blowhard from joisey.

Comment

Originally posted by 74w300uteline View Post
                            I used to be a knowitall, untill i stopped drinking. now people tell me I'm much more fun to be around. being right all the time is a tremendous burden. admitting that I dont know everything is liberating, and allows me to let my guard down and have fun. I'm really enjoying life. being the crazy truck guy from joisey with the silly hats at rallys is so much more rewarding than being that obnoxious #$%^ selfimportant blowhard from joisey.
                            Can I still wear my Joisey Shirt sober??? = )

Comment

Originally posted by MoparNorm View Post
                              Can I still wear my Joisey Shirt sober??? = )
                              I would advise against doing anything related to New Jersey while sober.

:)

Comment

Working...
                              X