For those who are interested in WWII

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• For those who are interested in WWII

Recently, I've gained a huge interest for history, and specifically, WWII. I have been wanting to know what everything was like and how so.

In searching the internet, I found a movie called Downfall (2004)

I highly suggest you watch it, if you are into this subject... It's about three hours long, and in complete German (don't worry, there are English subtitles)

In brief: "Traudl Junge, the final secretary for Adolf Hitler, tells of the Nazi dictator's final days in his Berlin bunker at the end of WWII."

If you are interested, I believe it also goes by the name Der Untergang - One thing that makes it realistic is the fact that it's a first person POV. It's like being there during the final hours.

Another intriguing movie is Kimjongillia; the true stories of escaped North Koreans. It's a realistic documentary.
    Last edited by Gordon Maney; 05-04-2011, 05:49 AM.

They sound interesting.
    Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

Comment

Trailer for Downfall

Comment

I have seen this film. If you are going to watch it, see the subtitled version and not the terribly dubbed english version. The dubbed english version is rife with mistranslation and contextual errors.
        If you like this sort of fare there is a movie about the Wann see conference titled "Conspiracy" . It covers the systematic dementia of the planners of the "final solution".

Comment

Ww 2

It's a good thing we won the Second world War, because if we didn't, we'd all be driving German and Japanese cars.

Comment

Originally posted by Mark Michaels View Post
            It's a good thing we won the Second world War, because if we didn't, we'd all be driving German and Japanese cars.
            I always like to look at WWII like this: It's like a kid hitting a wasp's nest. If the kid hit's the wasp's nest, all of the wasps are going to come and annihilate him.

Now, the kid (Japan) hit the wasp's nest (USA), and all of the wasps (Americans) just had to come kick his (Japan's) butt.

It's like a cause & affect: "Oh let's get America involved!"
            <four years later>
            "...Despite the best that has been done by everyone—the gallant fighting of the military and naval forces, the diligence and assiduity of Our servants of the State, and the devoted service of Our one hundred million people—the war situation has developed not necessarily to Japan's advantage, while the general trends of the world have all turned against her interest."

Then again, we might not have the EPA, and we'd all still be driving Power Wagons.

None-the-less, I find it weird to think about WWII vehicles as being as crude as Power Wagon's and M37's. I mean, imagine trying to flee from the enemy in a truck that just might decide not work; a truck that has a crashbox for a transmission and a frame and body so heavy that you have to hammer the throttle just to get it to 10mph.

Another thing is that people always look at Willy's Jeep's and are amazed by them, when in reality, 80% of America, now, doesn't have the potential to drive a standard transmission without power brakes, steering, and most likely a non-synchromesh transmission (I'd assume that's what the T-84 was).

I like PW's, but in todays world, I'm probably going to have to go with a Humvee for that situation.

Comment

Working...
            X