Employment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Employment

Many of you will recall I was unemployed for quite a while last year. I have hesitated to reveal this for a while because — foolishly, perhaps — I was at some level afraid I would jinx it. I did find employment at a local manufacturing firm, starting January 24 of this year, so I have been working now for almost six months. I started in assembly, as an assembler.

On April 12 I was fortunate enough to move to a position as industrial engineer in this company, in the department responsible to transition new designs to production. We are the first to build, and work out the bugs, you might say, participating in the finalization of the design. It is a very interesting place.

I am very thankful to those who provided emotional support, as well as literal support here. You are a wonderful group of folks. I kept my sanity during the 50 weeks of unemployment by connecting with you people each month in the magazine, and also here at the forums. It is important to say that in these last 27 years during which I have published the magazine it has been the single most satisfying part of my life. It is all because of the feedback I get from readers. The individual notes and letters I receive are not simply satisfying, they are nourishing in the most intense way. Thank you to all who write to me.

America needs to get its manufacturing base back. Let's all hope for that.

Have a great day!
    Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

I'm glad your road has gotten a bit smoother. The job seems like its suited to your skills.

Bucky

Comment

Originally posted by Gordon Maney View Post

America needs to get its manufacturing base back. Let's all hope for that.
      Amen to that and good to hear things are working out for you.

Dennis

Comment

We are all glad to hear the news of the end of your professional hiatus. There but for fortune as they say.
        I have had the good fortune of remaining employed nearly all my working life. With the exception of a month long period that I took off between jobs , I have never been out of work more than a week. I guess that's the nature of my business and my own skillset.
        I don't know what I would do if I were idled that long. Probably build a new house .

Comment

Congratulations!

There is an old saying, "when one door closes, another door opens"

Sometimes the door opens more slowly!

Comment

Slow Opening

That's what friends are for!

Comment

Friends!

Friends can be valuable for support and can sometimes make that next door open a little sooner.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Thompson View Post
                We are all glad to hear the news of the end of your professional hiatus. There but for fortune as they say.
                I have had the good fortune of remaining employed nearly all my working life. With the exception of a month long period that I took off between jobs , I have never been out of work more than a week. I guess that's the nature of my business and my own skillset.
                I don't know what I would do if I were idled that long. Probably build a new house .
                I would not have been able to afford building a house, and in fact was bleeding out financially.

Comment

It is apparent that officials of the Co. realized a person who had skilled knowledge in being able to offer you the new position. Glad it's working well for both you and the Co. Skilled people in most fields are getting harder to find, at least the ones that are really interested in applying themselves to be an asset. We could use a really skilled automotive person right now, lots of work here, but not many wanting to work. Amazing with the rate of unemployment how many are without jobs who aren't really looking for work.

Comment

I would not have been able to afford building a house, and in fact was bleeding out financially.
                    I understand Gordon. I didn't mean a new house for me. Just something to stay busy.

Comment

I was so stressed that I was not able to make very effective use of time.

Comment

I was working with a guy on a Habitat project. He had been out of work for a while but he was going spare worrying about it . He was able to meet some people on the project, who were in turn able to feed him a couple of leads that eventually lead to a job. My only contribution was to invite him to our lunchtime circle of loonies.

Comment

Gordon,

I'm glad to hear about your new job. It sounds like a good fit. Best of luck.

Joe

Comment

Going from full time employment to 50 weeks
                            of unemployment gave you too much time
                            to work with. You likely accomplished a good
                            deal more that you're giving yourself credit
                            for. I'm glad to hear you found a job. Now
                            you'll probably have just the right amount of
                            personal time to make use of.
                            John

Comment

Originally posted by Hobcobble View Post
                              Going from full time employment to 50 weeks
                              of unemployment gave you too much time
                              to work with. You likely accomplished a good
                              deal more that you're giving yourself credit
                              for. I'm glad to hear you found a job. Now
                              you'll probably have just the right amount of
                              personal time to make use of.
                              John
                              I actually have less free time than I would like! :-)

Comment

Working...
                              X