Left hand lug nut question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Left hand lug nut question

Since it is possible to put hub and drum assemblies on any corner on the 1-ton Power Wagon, M-series truck, and others, someone asked me..... where do the LH nuts really belong?

As I sit here I think it is on the left [....no, not because of the left word in left hand].

Is that correct? Which side are yours on?
    Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

Yes, the left hand threaded lugs/nuts belong on the left side of the vehicle. My '68 Dart and my '64 A100 both have original left hand threads on the drivers side. The A100 has different length axle shafts so they cannot be swapped side for side.

Comment

Originally posted by Gordon Maney View Post
      Since it is possible to put hub and drum assemblies on any corner on the 1-ton Power Wagon, M-series truck, and others, someone asked me..... where do the LH nuts really belong?

As I sit here I think it is on the left [....no, not because of the left word in left hand].

Is that correct? Which side are yours on?
      Yes, before the design of rims changed, and because of the rotation of the wheel when moving forward, the lug nuts on the drivers side would have a tendency to loosen. Left hand lugs prevented this. In the mid sixties, wheels started being built with a "cupped" flange around the lug circle, this "cup" would arch away from the face of the brake drum and when tightening the lugs to the proper torque this "cup" acted as a lock-nut and LH lugs were no longer needed. Custom wheels and mags still need to be watched closely, because they do not have the "cup" built into them like OEM wheel do.

Comment

At one time, my Power Wagon had two left hand nuts/studs on the right rear wheel. Made things um, rather interesting, first time I took the wheel off. No, I didn't use a torch. Was able to figure it out since the two studs each had a small "L" stamped on the outside face.

Comment

When I tryed to take the left front wheel off my parts truck nothing would turn the lug nuts. Did the usual trick and slid a pipe over the breaker bar. Stood on the bar and moved the nut, OK! reset the socket and repeat, reset socket repeat, rest socket repeat..... Now What! It's Still Tight! OH!! the studs are marked "L" and the nuts are marked "R". The wheel is still on the truck. Nothing short of the torch has came to me yet. How did they even get them on?

Comment

I was having new tires installed, the owner and I were talking as his "installer" came to me and said, "there's something wrong with your truck" I went to see that ALL 8 lugs were sheared off the drivers front and he was just starting on the rear! The owner spent the next 5 minutes yelling at the guy, screaming "I told you those are left handed!!" The kid had no idea what left handed meant and I received 16 free, new RH lugs.... = )

Ripping off 1 is an accident, ripping off 2 is maybe a mistake, ripping off all 8 is a sign from above that you are in the wrong line of work...

Comment

I bought a rear end out of the salvage yard and the guy was taking off the lug nuts with a breaker bar. He did the passenger side no problem, went to the other side and was bearing down on the bar and said "It seems like this nut is getting tighter!" I told him about the left hand threads and he looked at me like I'm an idiot but tried it and was amazed. By the way there was already one stud broken off before he started, sort of like an indicator.
              1949 B-1 PW
              1950 B-2 PW
              1965 WM300
              1968 D200 camper special (W200 conversion)
              1970 Challenger RT 383
              1987 Ramcharger 4x4
              1991.5 W250 diesel
              1999 Jeep Cherokee limited 4x4
              2008 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

Comment

I informed the kiddies up front about the left handed lugs on my 64 Town Wagon when I went for a free rotation, no problem. But when one of them opened the drivers door and was looking up and down the jamb I had to laugh. I walked over and ask junior what he was looking for( I knew full well). He said I was looking to see how much air these tires are supposed to hold. I said, son this truck was built way before they had that printed on the door jambs. He gave the "HUH?" look as I told him to put 40 lbs in and call it good. KIDS, you buy'em books buy'em books and all they do is smoke the pages.

Comment

Originally posted by Ron in Indiana View Post
                  I informed the kiddies up front about the left handed lugs on my 64 Town Wagon when I went for a free rotation, no problem. But when one of them opened the drivers door and was looking up and down the jamb I had to laugh. I walked over and ask junior what he was looking for( I knew full well). He said I was looking to see how much air these tires are supposed to hold. I said, son this truck was built way before they had that printed on the door jambs. He gave the "HUH?" look as I told him to put 40 lbs in and call it good. KIDS, you buy'em books buy'em books and all they do is smoke the pages.
                  hahahahaha

Comment

I had a 1953 Olds in high school that had left hand lugs on one side, so I understood that. My mistake was that I did not think about it when I first went to remove lug nuts on my first Power Wagon in 1973.

First I tried a longer breaker bar, then a pipe, then I got a nosebleed. I thought it seemed too difficult, then it occurred to me they may be left hand.

They came right off when I turned them the right, er..I mean... correct direction.

Comment

Originally posted by Gordon Maney View Post
                      hahahahaha
                      Buy him books and send him to school.Buy him a mule to ride to school.And what does he do?He stands on the books and %$#^'s the mule.

Comment

lugs

when I got my m37, someone had run a 3/4 16 die over the driver's side wheel studs, making them stripped/right handed. they were a real fight to get off and then press out.

Comment

Mine had a left hand hub assembly on the right side, when I went to get the tires re-done so I could have it towed home we remembered the left hand lug thing, but that one right hand wheel confused us till we saw the little "L"s on the studs.

Just one of those things I need to fix when I have them apart for the disk brake conversion.

Comment

Working...
                          X