What is an "army truck"?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is an "army truck"?

I wish someone would explain to me exactly what an "army truck" is.

I have been displaying my '47 WDX and '51 B3PW model Power Wagons at antique tractor shows now for several years - usually with an old farm implement of some sort attached. I tried antique car shows. Those people don't want me as my trucks are not restored, or hot rodded, or covered with enough chrome. I tried the antique truck shows. As a rule, those people don't want me either as my truck is too much of a tractor with all of those farming options attached and unusual equipment sitting around. So, I tried the antique tractor shows. Those people generally accept me as one of their own.

I say, "generally accept me", as there are always those who feel "trucks" should not be at "their" tractor shows, just as there are those who feel all the tractors there should be steam powered, or painted green, or older than 1939, etc, etc. You just can't please everyone. Fortunatly, most of those types just ignore me and leave me alone.

The spectators are another matter altogether. The local tractor club president explained that "I" am the intertainment (I, along with the rest of the exibitors and the equipment we display). We are the ones that the spectators pay money at the gate to come in an see.

The spectators come in three groups. There are the those that really enjoy seeing something old, rare, and new to their eyes. They generally ask some good and challenging questions, will take time to read the vintage literature I have copied, laminated, and placed on display for their convenience. They are fun to talk to. The second group walks by without stopping or even noticing. They appear zeroed in on their interest only. They may not know what a Power Wagon is and could probably care less. They are fun to watch.

The third group are the ones that come in packs. One individual in the pack is obviously the leader and the rest are followers. They usually stop and give everything a quick glance, but will never notice the literature, and will not acknowlege a "hello" or a "how are your gentlemen today?" Once, they have traveled onward just enough to stay within earshot, the leader will explain to the followers how "that" was an old "army truck" and should not be displayed at an antique tractor show. This is usually followed up with some low grumbling from the leader and some quick sideways demeaning glances from the followers.

If I only knew what an "army truck" was, maybe I could have an intellegent conversation with them.

Army truck is a concept existing in the minds of those lacking in knowledge sufficient in any sufficient amount to formulate the basis for any informed opinion.

Ignorance is defined as a lack of knowledge.

Summarize all this as you will.

I have had people who [I discovered later] saw an M-series, 2-1/2 ton 6X6 tell me they saw a Power Wagon.

....or worse yet, nice jeep, in response to my Power Wagon.
    Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

Comment

A buddy and I were driving my M37 around some dirt roads a couple of years ago. A gentleman came out to the road from his yard and excitedly asked "Where'd ya get the Kaiser Jeep?"

So...there you go...

Comment

Misidentification...

It's an epidemic...

http://tulsa.craigslist.org/cto/2603310560.html

http://houston.craigslist.org/cto/2555861189.html

Comment

The second one certainly is not a 1950.
          Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

Comment

Originally posted by Clint Dixon View Post
            I wish someone would explain to me exactly what an "army truck" is.

I have been displaying my '47 WDX and '51 B3PW model Power Wagons at antique tractor shows now for several years - usually with an old farm implement of some sort attached. I tried antique car shows. Those people don't want me as my trucks are not restored, or hot rodded, or covered with enough chrome. I tried the antique truck shows. As a rule, those people don't want me either as my truck is too much of a tractor with all of those farming options attached and unusual equipment sitting around. So, I tried the antique tractor shows. Those people generally accept me as one of their own.

I say, "generally accept me", as there are always those who feel "trucks" should not be at "their" tractor shows, just as there are those who feel all the tractors there should be steam powered, or painted green, or older than 1939, etc, etc. You just can't please everyone. Fortunatly, most of those types just ignore me and leave me alone.

The spectators are another matter altogether. The local tractor club president explained that "I" am the intertainment (I, along with the rest of the exibitors and the equipment we display). We are the ones that the spectators pay money at the gate to come in an see.

The spectators come in three groups. There are the those that really enjoy seeing something old, rare, and new to their eyes. They generally ask some good and challenging questions, will take time to read the vintage literature I have copied, laminated, and placed on display for their convenience. They are fun to talk to. The second group walks by without stopping or even noticing. They appear zeroed in on their interest only. They may not know what a Power Wagon is and could probably care less. They are fun to watch.

The third group are the ones that come in packs. One individual in the pack is obviously the leader and the rest are followers. They usually stop and give everything a quick glance, but will never notice the literature, and will not acknowlege a "hello" or a "how are your gentlemen today?" Once, they have traveled onward just enough to stay within earshot, the leader will explain to the followers how "that" was an old "army truck" and should not be displayed at an antique tractor show. This is usually followed up with some low grumbling from the leader and some quick sideways demeaning glances from the followers.

If I only knew what an "army truck" was, maybe I could have an intellegent conversation with them.
            The people you descibe are present at every car,truck,gun or art show. They are the self appointed arbiters of what is qualified to be presented at any given venue. They usually have a covey of sycophantic followers who parrot the uninformed pearls of wisdom that pass from the lips of their pompous tour guide cum maven.
            They are usually one hundred-eighty degrees out of synch with the legitimate judges of any such event. Oddly enough these people rarely restore or display anything that might be scrutinized by others.
            I would hazard that having an "Intelligent conversation" is beyond their capabilities.

Comment

it's hard to have a battle of wits when the other side is unarmed.

Comment

Clint,
                I am arriving at two very useful conclusions here in mid-life. The first one being that the people who have the least experience and the least information generally do the most talking. The second being that these people are not pleasant to be around.

There are, as far as I can tell, two solid ways to deal with these people. We can either ignore them or call them out. Calling them out can be fun, although a bit sadistic because you know they aren’t armed for battle and you know you can slay them in front of their friends. And, if you’re like me, you’d feel bad later for having preyed on the defenseless.

Having talked to you on the phone, and in person, and on the forums, I have a sense that you and I are very much alike and that is why you let this “Army Truck” critic and his cronies walk away unscathed. It takes less energy, is more civilized, and is not nearly as sadistic.

These days, I’m happy most of the time, because I avoid prolonged contact with people who know everything. I avoid people who are always grumbling about something. I avoid getting placed on church and school committees. I stay away from election headquarters. And I don’t try to make small talk with old growlers who start conversations by critiquing my truck. I even smiled once at a man who informed me that my Power Wagon couldn’t possibly be a ’61. “Dodge didn’t make ‘em in ’61,” he said. And I smiled.

These little lessons seemed to push me toward a more modest and commonsensical way of life, whereby my days are more enjoyable. I go fly-fishing. I drive my old Dodge truck. And all the while, I don’t give a second thought to the guy who says I’m fishing wrong or tells me I should be driving Something Else. I go on my way and he goes on his. It’s better that way.

For what it’s worth, I think the wailing and gnashing of teeth that you hear at car and tractor shows is about 51% envy and 49% sour grapes. If these teeth gnashers weren’t complaining about Army Trucks at tractor shows they’d be chewing your ear about something else. Politics maybe. Or the banking industry. Or health care reform. Or the hazards of single ply toilet paper.

Do yourself a favor and don’t try to learn anything about Army Trucks. Just let them walk away.

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin Mienke View Post
                  Clint,
                  I am arriving at two very useful conclusions here in mid-life. The first one being that the people who have the least experience and the least information generally do the most talking. The second being that these people are not pleasant to be around.

There are, as far as I can tell, two solid ways to deal with these people. We can either ignore them or call them out. Calling them out can be fun, although a bit sadistic because you know they aren’t armed for battle and you know you can slay them in front of their friends. And, if you’re like me, you’d feel bad later for having preyed on the defenseless.

Having talked to you on the phone, and in person, and on the forums, I have a sense that you and I are very much alike and that is why you let this “Army Truck” critic and his cronies walk away unscathed. It takes less energy, is more civilized, and is not nearly as sadistic.

These days, I’m happy most of the time, because I avoid prolonged contact with people who know everything. I avoid people who are always grumbling about something. I avoid getting placed on church and school committees. I stay away from election headquarters. And I don’t try to make small talk with old growlers who start conversations by critiquing my truck. I even smiled once at a man who informed me that my Power Wagon couldn’t possibly be a ’61. “Dodge didn’t make ‘em in ’61,” he said. And I smiled.

These little lessons seemed to push me toward a more modest and commonsensical way of life, whereby my days are more enjoyable. I go fly-fishing. I drive my old Dodge truck. And all the while, I don’t give a second thought to the guy who says I’m fishing wrong or tells me I should be driving Something Else. I go on my way and he goes on his. It’s better that way.

For what it’s worth, I think the wailing and gnashing of teeth that you hear at car and tractor shows is about 51% envy and 49% sour grapes. If these teeth gnashers weren’t complaining about Army Trucks at tractor shows they’d be chewing your ear about something else. Politics maybe. Or the banking industry. Or health care reform. Or the hazards of single ply toilet paper.

Do yourself a favor and don’t try to learn anything about Army Trucks. Just let them walk away.
                  Kevin, if you and I are ever together at an event where someone says I should not have my army truck there, or that they didn't make your truck in 1961, we can both smile at them. Then, in there presence, we can turn to each other and have a good hearty laugh knowing that there is no way they will get the inside joke.

I like the way you think.

Comment

Originally posted by Clint Dixon View Post
                    Kevin, if you and I are ever together at an event where someone says I should not have my army truck there, or that they didn't make your truck in 1961, we can both smile at them. Then, in there presence, we can turn to each other and have a good hearty laugh knowing that there is no way they will get the inside joke.

I like the way you think.
                    Yes. It’s a simple Less is More approach to conversation with wackos. And a little inside joke helps send them on their way…wondering.

Good riddance.

Midwesterners, by and large, don't admire wackos. A few wacko guys at the tractor show can't do much harm, but you wouldn't want them sticking around for dinner. So you don’t engage with them. If you do, they might follow you home and marry your sister and you’ll find yourself at family reunions talking about whatever his current gripe is. At Thanksgiving you’ll have to share your pumpkin pie with a man who gets upset at tractor shows.

As I see it, the angry guy who gets his dander up about the exclusion of Army trucks from fun events will have to find somewhere else to get his pumpkin pie.

Less is definitely more.

Comment

Army Truck or Power Wagon?

Yep, there sure is a lot of confusion out there! Flat fenders or round fenders, military or civilian. It seems that even in our own ranks there is endless debate.

Some of the military deuce and half's were made by the Kaiser Jeep Corporation, are they jeeps? The data plate says they are! When you want to get plates for them, what are you going to call them?

Comment

Originally posted by Longhunter7 View Post
                        Yep, there sure is a lot of confusion out there! Flat fenders or round fenders, military or civilian. It seems that even in our own ranks there is endless debate.

Some of the military deuce and half's were made by the Kaiser Jeep Corporation, are they jeeps? The data plate says they are! When you want to get plates for them, what are you going to call them?
                        Constructive debating of the minor details helps to establish correct terminology, sets the record straight, keeps everyone in the hobby on the same page, and helps newcomers learn without the distracting confusion of half-truths, generic terms, and traditionally accepted but incorrect information.

That is a bit different than those outside the hobby spreading around wrong information when they don't know any better and outright lies when they do.

For every person I meet who is interested in discovering, listening, and learning about what a Power Wagon is all about, and who might end up actually joining our ranks because of their newfound knowledge, there are probably two more who are already lost, having accepted as truth the diatribes of the nieve individuals who appear bent upon degrading the Power Wagon and its rich history for no other apparent reason than to boost their own ego.

I am thinking that if they are so shallow that we probably don't really want them in the same house anyway.

I think I may have an answer to your question about the Kaiser Jeep deuce and a halfs - maybe they are just "army trucks". ;^)

Comment

Serious minded people are not a rarity these days, but they do seem to be in hiding. We are going through some tough times, and there are lots of things to complain about. But after a certain point you just have to count your blessings, look at things the way they are, and try and figure out the way forward.

There are lots of people who appreciate the artistry and engineering that went into our vintage vehicles, as well as what it takes to restore and sometimes improve them. Alas, car shows are not always the best place to find these people. My wife thinks I am a "car snob" because I go to shows and breeze thorugh most of what is there as if they were Camrys or Accords. I tell her it is so uncommon to find a vehicle that is done...just...right.

My 1967 WM300 started life as a government owned forest fire truck. The original color was dark green. It spent some time in the Southwest, during which time the paint faded considerably. taking on an "olive drab" hue. So I never got too offended if people thought it was an army truck. As for those who didn't believe it was a '67, I would proudly show off the padded dash, seat belts, and pentastar logos. If they would listen, anyway.

Like the clothing industry, the automobile business has always been about fashion. People wear the clothing that suits their work, lifestyle, or perhaps an occasion. Cars and trucks are no different. I like my trucks and Jeeps. But my wife loves her Audi A6 4.2. And, I wouldn't have it any other way.

Just as there are people who wear certain types of clothes to make them appear to be something they are not, the same can be true of their vehicles. The Power Wagon, I suppose, is the equivalent of work jeans or maybe bib overalls. Now, a poseur can buy those types of clothes (they even have some that are soiled and faded at the factory) but it takes a little more commitment to buy a Power Wagon. Plus you still have to learn to drive the thing.

One of the perks of owning a Power Wagon (aside from the beauty and capabilities of the truck itself) is the fact that you can instantly connect with other people who have owned or used one. I have not had this experience with any other type of vehicle I have owned. As for the poseurs, well, for the most part, they will buy some kind of modern truck, not use it for much, and pretend they are experts on things the rest of us just do and not fret much about.

I have always used my trucks for what they were intended. At one time my Dodge had what some call a "nice patina." But after a certain point it got kind of shabby. Some day I would like to make it show worthy, which is to say, properly restored, but still ready to work. You guys know what I mean.

Comment

The uninformed folks spoken about in this thread puts me in mind of the Wall Street protesters I've seen on the news over recent days. Most haven't a clue why they are there, they just follow the leader.

Comment

Charles, my man, we probably shouldn't be hijacking this thread, but my observation on the so-called "protesters" you mention is that they are strictly a media creation. There are probably no more of them in real numbers than what might be found at your local church on Sunday, or perhaps the Iowa rally.

Comment

Working...
                              X