Happy Holidays and more

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Happy Holidays and more

I have received many emails inquiring about my absence from the back page of the PWA and The Long View. I think this might be a good time to explain, catch up with friends, and wish all a happy holiday season.

There is much going on here and I will start by saying that I am still focused on helping Mom after the loss of Dad. I am staying busy with renovations to her home and yard, and have spent a great deal of time cleaning up the place and tending to all of those little things that Dad always took care of…the things I took for granted. All things considered, I have done fairly well at keeping mom’s eyes forward and her hands to the plow. When her hands are busy, her spirits are good.

Unfortunately, my writing has gone to the wayside. I look forward to reading the magazine each month, and often times I will read it many times over, but I am hardly able to contribute. However, Power Wagons still run through my veins and I can foresee a time coming when life may slow down a bit. Maybe then I’ll return to contributing whatever I can. I did enjoy it. I enjoyed the correspondence with Gordon. And I enjoyed the feeling of accomplishment that came when someone would mention that I had touched their lives in some small way.

Some of you met my son, Colt, when he was no more than 6 or 7 years old. He was always at the Iowa rallies with me. That was many years ago and, believe it or not, he will be starting his last semester of high school in January and has been accepted to attend Wake Forest University in Winston-Salem, North Carolina. The Wake Forest campus is a beehive of brilliance, a place where he won’t feel self-conscious about being smart anymore. We are very proud of what he has accomplished, especially since he has stood in the shadow of Tourette Syndrome for so long.

As parents we tried to cover the basic stuff such as Please and Thank You and why a man should hold doors for women. We told him to continue to be faithful. We stressed to him about the importance of choosing meaningful tasks and finishing them. The rest we left up to him. We were lucky and ended up with a polite, smart, athletic, and good-humored kid, despite the Tourette’s Syndrome. Wake Forest is a dream come true for him and an excellent reward for his perseverance.

When Colt leaves for college, Jany and I will be relocating to NC as well and will likely end up in a rural area where I can enjoy the kind of peace and quiet I remember from my days on the farm. Having a barn that I can convert to a woodshop would be perfect, as I have had a lifelong love for woodworking. It makes my time seem better spent.

We will, no doubt, miss the comforts of being so close to family, but feel as though it is time to move forward and do something different; something that makes sense for us, if only us. We have, for a long time, dreamed of retiring in rural North Carolina. It is a great fit for a retired man who likes to lay low, drive old trucks, build things from wood, and fish the clear mountain streams.

Overall, things are good in my life, always challenging, but always rewarding too. I am thankful that I have things to do. And I am thankful that there will always be a next thing.

And the next thing will probably take a lot of work. I suppose I learned that from Dad. I have a lot of mental pictures of Dad and most of them have a working scene backdrop. Factories, farms, garages and such; sleeves rolled up high and shovels and piles of dirt, sweaty brows, bulging veins, and a hot sun. That being said, I am moving forward in the true spirit of Dad.

I want to wish all of you Happy Holidays, however you may spend them and whatever your beliefs are. Take care of yourselves. As busy as you are, remember to sit back every now and then and indulge yourself. Could be reading the PWA or going to a rally or buying an old barn. If you don't take a moment now and then, you'll miss out. I know this to be true. I've missed my share. Don't want to miss any more. Happy Holidays.

Kevin,
    Glad to hear from you.
    You are truly focused in life.
    Happy Holidays to you and your family!
    Stay true my friend
    TGP
    WDX & Misc. Pics.
    http://www.t137.com/cpg/index.php?cat=10010
    "47" Dodge WDX WW
    "52" Dodge M-37 WW
    "54" Willys M38A1
    "65" Kaiser M35A1 WW
    "77" Chev. K-30 400T,205,4.56 "No-Spin"
    "84" Chev, K-30 Cummins 6-BTA 400,205,3.73Locker
    "86" Chev, M1028A2 (K30) 6.2,400.205,4.56 Locker
    "99" Dodge Durango "Limited Slip"
    "99" Dodge 3500 CTD 4x4"No-Spin"

Comment

Don't lose your pocket knife....
      Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

Comment

Originally posted by Gordon Maney View Post
        Don't lose your pocket knife....
        To go through life with the right knife in your pocket makes a world of difference. I take very good care of it and always think of you when I use it.

I am hoping to see you again before all of these major changes take place. You have been a truly good friend.

I used the word "hoping" just now. It is a word I don't really care for. Dad used to say, "You can hope in one hand and crap in the other and see which fills first."

I should have said I am confident that I will see you again before I go.

Comment

I'm one of many who has been missing your articles.
          Sounds like you're doing a great job for your mom.
          I'm sure your dad would be proud.

North Carolina has been one of a few states on
          my wife's & my radar as far as a location for retirement.
          Its really nice down there.

Merry Christmas & Happy New Year to you & yours.
          John

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin Mienke View Post
            To go through life with the right knife in your pocket makes a world of difference. I take very good care of it and always think of you when I use it.

I am hoping to see you again before all of these major changes take place. You have been a truly good friend.

I used the word "hoping" just now. It is a word I don't really care for. Dad used to say, "You can hope in one hand and crap in the other and see which fills first."

I should have said I am confident that I will see you again before I go.
            It would be great to see you. Thanks for thinking of me.

If you ever lose that knife, you had darn well better let me know, so I can get you another one.

Buck 112 -- the best.
            Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

Comment

Exciting!

Heck Yeah!
              North Carolina is close by we might meet up yet! There are lots of like minded folks here' bout's, so don't worry, plenty of Dodger's on this coast.
              If you can't find a barn, come help me with mine, it's almost 112 years old. (just kidding)

Comment

Originally posted by Hobcobble View Post
                I'm one of many who has been missing your articles.
                Sounds like you're doing a great job for your mom.
                I'm sure your dad would be proud.

North Carolina has been one of a few states on
                my wife's & my radar as far as a location for retirement.
                Its really nice down there.

Merry Christmas & Happy New Year to you & yours.
                John
                Thanks John,
                Jany and I narrowed our retirement down to three places. The obvious choice was to go back to rural Iowa which holds a lot of good memories for us both and offers a lifestyle familiar and appealing. Rural Tennessee is another place we've always enjoyed, but ultimately we decided NC had everything we wanted plus an opportunity to do something different.

There is something to be said for familiarity, but I think we came to a point where doing something totally new will be a good fit.

Merry Christmas & Happy New Year to you and yours too.

Comment

Originally posted by Bruce View Post
                  Heck Yeah!
                  North Carolina is close by we might meet up yet! There are lots of like minded folks here' bout's, so don't worry, plenty of Dodger's on this coast.
                  If you can't find a barn, come help me with mine, it's almost 112 years old. (just kidding)
                  Bruce,
                  Merry Christmas to you and yours. I look forward to meeting you and all the others east of the Appalachians. If I remember right, you're in the Richmond area. Not too far at all. I am really excited about all of the new things that are to come.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Petroff View Post
                    Kevin,
                    Glad to hear from you.
                    You are truly focused in life.
                    Happy Holidays to you and your family!
                    Stay true my friend
                    TGP
                    Tom,
                    You have always been so good to me. I wish you and yours all the best this holiday season.

Comment

Kevin,
                      Good luck with the move, I think you will really like N.C.
                      My wife are there a lot, we like the O.B. and are heading there this coming Tuesday for a few days. WE also have friends near Chapel Hill we visit.
                      You will then be close to things like the West Va rally which pulls guys from N.C., VA, and MD like me.
                      Todd Somers lives not too far from WInston Salem (Wake FOrest) and I know you would relly enjoy meeting him, if you haven't already.
                      With the internet, you can still contribute to the PWA when time allows. You have a gift for writing and I hope you don't retire it.
                      Dave

Comment

Originally posted by Doc Dave View Post
                        Kevin,
                        Good luck with the move, I think you will really like N.C.
                        My wife are there a lot, we like the O.B. and are heading there this coming Tuesday for a few days. WE also have friends near Chapel Hill we visit.
                        You will then be close to things like the West Va rally which pulls guys from N.C., VA, and MD like me.
                        Todd Somers lives not too far from WInston Salem (Wake FOrest) and I know you would relly enjoy meeting him, if you haven't already.
                        With the internet, you can still contribute to the PWA when time allows. You have a gift for writing and I hope you don't retire it.
                        Dave
                        Hi Dave,

Clint Dixon introduced me to Todd a few years ago at an Iowa Rally. It didn't take long before I knew he was my kind of people.

Since then we have talked through email. Seems we both have a love for mighty rivers and old trucks and such. And we both like to reminisce about our Power Wagon driving ancestors. I look forward to seeing him again and maybe even joining in some of the adventures of Junior and Spence.

It's not often a guy meets someone so fine as Todd. I'm looking forward to meeting the rest of you folks down there too.

Comment

North Carolina is a wonderful place to be sure. I've spent some time there myself. I sincerely hope you'll be happy there .
                          I know Colt only by your description. But it is obvious to anyone who has read what you've put down, That he is a remarkable young man.
                          I wish you the best in whatever you choose to do.
                          I look forward to you having more spare time, so that you can resume writing.
                          Happy Holidays to you as well.

Comment

Merry Christmas, Happy New Year Kevin. Looking forward to meeting you.

Comment

You guys are the best. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all.

Comment

Working...
                              X