No announcement yet.

Hard to believe, but truth

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Charles, I understand your position and sympathize. I also salute the fact that your concious would not let you put a public safety vehicle back on the road in the condition you received it.
    Since retiring from the department I have returned to the aerial equipment business. I often repair equipment that belongs to other companies. Given your experience. you would probably believe the risks people are willing to take to keep a piece of gear working just a couple more days. Many others are not.
    I am routinely asked to compromise safety systems so a unit will go higher or faster. It's like they never heard of OSHA or liability.
    No matter how good a customer is or how much revenue they generate, I have a procedure from which I do not deviate. I perform an inspection , compile an estimate and after I recieve a P.O. I perform the repair. If a machine requires additional troubleshooting or repair, work stops until I receive the approval to procede. I also discourage customers from spending money on a unit that is not cost effective.
    The reason I do all that is that I have been burned by customers who don't want to pay on a verbal okay.
    So I feel your pain, but I wouldn't change what you did.

Comment

Not looking for sympathy

We all learn hard lessons in doing business; this was one for us. I guess my old school ways with giving my word extends over into thinking others will stand by their's, however as this proves, some will not. I was just reminded of this incident when the conversation took a turn toward work authorization. We have learned there is phone authorization and then there is having authorization. To me they are one in the same; but to others it is a loop hole to keep from paying a bill. My honest opinion is that the administrator is using this to do just that. What makes me think like that? This deal also included the recoring of the radiator. I got authorization from the fire chief to do that, he has told the admin he said to do it. It cost $700 at the rad shop, we paid them promptly. Admin said the only people authorized to make the call was either him or the chief. How come we have not been paid for the radiator since the chief authorized that, good question, I'm still wondering that also. Too much obvious evidence, this guy is a crook.

Comment

Tell him to bring the truck back and you can put it back the way it was and drop the charge!
        1949 B-1 PW
        1950 B-2 PW
        1965 WM300
        1968 D200 camper special (W200 conversion)
        1970 Challenger RT 383
        1987 Ramcharger 4x4
        1991.5 W250 diesel
        1999 Jeep Cherokee limited 4x4
        2008 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

Comment

Originally posted by Steve G View Post
          Tell him to bring the truck back and you can put it back the way it was and drop the charge!
          Actually I made that offer, even told them they could stand by and watch everything that was done.

Guess what? The admin told the chief they were not to bring the truck back. See what I mean about overwhelming evidence of a crook?

Comment

Originally posted by Charles Talbert View Post
            Actually I made that offer, even told them they could stand by and watch everything that was done.

Guess what? The admin told the chief they were not to bring the truck back. See what I mean about overwhelming evidence of a crook?
            Did the phone conversation go something like this:

Admin: Hello, MSeries? Yes, I am in charge of vehicles here and have received your invoice.

Charles: Great! Just make the check out to M Series Rebuilds.

Admin: Yes, I am in charge here. We will not be paying.

Charles: Say what?

Admin: Yes, I am in charge here. You were not authorized to do this work.

Charles: The truck was a death trap, I might have saved you a lawsuit.

Admin: Yes, I am in charge here. We will not be paying this bill.

Charles: ...

Admin: I am in charge here. That means I am the boss.

Charles: ............

Comment

Makes me think of words of wisdom, offered by my Grandfather about 50 years ago
              "Tommy, sometimes when you are dealing with horses, you only get the back 15%"
              It seems as I get older, there are sure alot of incomplete horses!
              by the way Gordon, hope you are feeling better, and the January 2012 issue of Vintage Power Wagon Advertiser was top notch as it always is
              Tom

Comment

Originally posted by JStinson View Post
                Did the phone conversation go something like this:

Admin: Hello, MSeries? Yes, I am in charge of vehicles here and have received your invoice.

Charles: Great! Just make the check out to M Series Rebuilds.

Admin: Yes, I am in charge here. We will not be paying.

Charles: Say what?

Admin: Yes, I am in charge here. You were not authorized to do this work.

Charles: The truck was a death trap, I might have saved you a lawsuit.

Admin: Yes, I am in charge here. We will not be paying this bill.

Charles: ...

Admin: I am in charge here. That means I am the boss.

Charles: ............
                Not word for word, but you are fairly close. About the only thing you left out was the part where he sounded like a recording when he was telling me the name of the town's attorney.

Comment

Originally posted by Charles Talbert View Post
                  Little more involved at this point. Reading between the lines, admin has put the quietous on the guys who said do the work, so they won't admit to the chief that they said anything now. It would make you think their jobs had been threatened, but I can't prove that.

I have no problem with playing by the rules at all, it's just that nobody bothered to let us know rule changes had taken place since the last time we worked for them.

Always in the past someone called, they would bring the truck in with instructions to do this or that and to let them know if you see more. A call about the air leak, and a few other issues, we were told to address anything we saw. Business as usual; opps, NOT.
                  I realize the horse has long left the barn, but here goes, for the future; sometimes familiarity can breed a situation like this, so no matter my relationship with the client, I always get written approval to proceed, even if it's simply an email.

Later, during the persecution of the innocent phase of a dispute, it's easier to get the sympathy of the judge, when you have the other parties direction in writing. Especially when the written word, counters the lie they are spinning to the judge.

In this case if you have something as simple as a phone bill or phone log, showing that the call was made, it might swing the proceedings to your favor.

Comment

Originally posted by MoparNorm View Post
                    I realize the horse has long left the barn, but here goes, for the future; sometimes familiarity can breed a situation like this, so no matter my relationship with the client, I always get written approval to proceed, even if it's simply an email.

Later, during the persecution of the innocent phase of a dispute, it's easier to get the sympathy of the judge, when you have the other parties direction in writing. Especially when the written word, counters the lie they are spinning to the judge.

In this case if you have something as simple as a phone bill or phone log, showing that the call was made, it might swing the proceedings to your favor.
                    Hey Norm,

It's been since last spring now on this issue. I have several detailed mailings, in writing, some sent registered, they signed for and I have returned receipts. We have since made municpalities give us everything in writting.

I think this one is a clear case of a person "with a little authority" trying to show it.

Good to hear from you.

Charles

Comment

Working...
                    X