Kicking the Bedpost

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kicking the Bedpost

We’ve had a few days of strong winds lately. The kind of wind that rises up through the trees and rattles the house a bit. A few days ago, I watched out the window while my neighbors were moving around their yards with their heads down…frantically running...desperately gathering their trashcans and making their way to their cars with keyless entry devices in their hands and madly pushing buttons while their neckties slapped them in the face. They were markedly distressed.

I decided to get out there and feel it for myself. Not that I was worried about my trashcan. I wasn’t. It’s only a trashcan. And I wasn’t worried about my necktie either because I don’t own one. I just wanted to feel the wind.

It was a good strong wind, but not nearly as exciting as my neighbors had let on. I judge my neighbors were a bit dramatic with the whole running for the trashcan routine, especially in light of the fact that much of the country is getting real storms.

I suppose that’s just the way people are. Dramatic. I accept that as part of life, but it scares me that these people will be voting in November. Then again, I suppose it scares them that I will be voting; the strange guy that comes outside and acts as if trashcans are just trashcans.

Anyway, I must say I was a little disappointed that I didn’t have anything to fix after the high winds. That’s the way retirement is. You look for things to make yourself useful.

That’s when you’re glad to have an old truck.

I went in the garage and crawled under the Power Wagon. Seems the pinion that drives the speedometer isn’t driving the speedometer anymore. Not that it really matters. I suppose I’d get a natural sense if I were going too fast in my Power Wagon. It hasn’t happened yet.

If you’re waiting for a point to be made, you should check a different thread. I am only writing because I abandoned the speedometer project after an hour of straining my surgically repaired neck and I don’t have any shingles to replace on the house. So I just pulled up a bucket here ‘til I find something else to do.

One of the gratifying things about life in general is that nothing lasts forever, and even this rambling post will have its own twilight and everyone can get back to their day, which for me started with banging my leg on the bedpost….again.

That’s about the fifth time this week I’ve hit my knee on that post and it got me to thinking about the other five hundred times I’ve done the same thing. It made me think about paying more attention. I might have fewer stitches and pins if I slowed down a bit. If I had slowed down a few years ago at that house fire, I wouldn’t have fallen through the floor. If I hadn’t fallen through the floor, I wouldn’t have a surgically repaired neck. If I didn’t have a surgically repaired neck, I would have fixed my speedometer. If my speedometer worked, I’d be reminded to slow down. But since it didn’t turn out that way, I guess kicking a bedpost every now and then is necessary. It makes a guy slow down.

And I’m proud to say I didn’t curse nor scream one bit at that bedpost and there’s something to be said for that. And I do slow down enough to notice that a trashcan is just a trashcan. Wind is just wind. And it doesn’t matter if my neighbors do vote in November because my vote will erase theirs anyway.

Sounds like cabin fever! ;)
    1949 B-1 PW
    1950 B-2 PW
    1965 WM300
    1968 D200 camper special (W200 conversion)
    1970 Challenger RT 383
    1987 Ramcharger 4x4
    1991.5 W250 diesel
    1999 Jeep Cherokee limited 4x4
    2008 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

Comment

Originally posted by Steve G View Post
      Sounds like cabin fever! ;)
      Yeah, part of it’s cabin fever. The other part is that the stone canyons of suburbia have gotten to me. I don’t fit in here and never have. You and I both know that to be true.

I come from a place where guys with names like Skinny and Lefty stood around in the driveway and talked about simple things; things like the relative merits of Dodge, Ford, and Chevy, the art of raising strawberries, the goodness of apples and the merits of a 3,000 mile oil change.

Here, in this place, we are expected to give up our lives for TV, sports, politics, and granite counter tops. We have a tendency to obsess over things, and that is something that Skinny and Lefty didn't go for.

At any rate, it's time to move forward. Things are at hand. I have all I need, and enough to share with my friends. I've got Momma of course. And we’re going back to the country, and I’ve got the Power Wagon, and the fact that I can still run a mile. Life's a good thing.

Comment

Yeah, part of it’s cabin fever. The other part is that the stone canyons of suburbia have gotten to me. I don’t fit in here and never have. You and I both know that to be true

I would not be so good in suburbia either. Right now I'm lucky to have only 1 neighbor and cornfields around me but over the 18 years I have been here I can see the changes coming. At some point I might have to flee to a more rural location just to have sanity! I'll have to make an appointment to see your Power Wagon in person too before you move to SC.
        1949 B-1 PW
        1950 B-2 PW
        1965 WM300
        1968 D200 camper special (W200 conversion)
        1970 Challenger RT 383
        1987 Ramcharger 4x4
        1991.5 W250 diesel
        1999 Jeep Cherokee limited 4x4
        2008 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

Comment

We will miss you at the rally this year. I pray that you and your family have a safe move. Maybe Skinny and Lefty will be there waiting to talk about the important things in life rather than worry about trashcans blowing in the wind. We are blessed to have good neighbors who don't care about a few trucks sitting around waiting their turn in the shop. I'll be at the rally this year and as I try the teeter board once again I'll think of you and how we tried to get you to do a turn a few years ago. Enjoy life, Momma and Colt as you start another chapter in your life.

Comment

I can't run a mile and never could....
            Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

Comment

Originally posted by Ron in Indiana View Post
              We will miss you at the rally this year. I pray that you and your family have a safe move. Maybe Skinny and Lefty will be there waiting to talk about the important things in life rather than worry about trashcans blowing in the wind. We are blessed to have good neighbors who don't care about a few trucks sitting around waiting their turn in the shop. I'll be at the rally this year and as I try the teeter board once again I'll think of you and how we tried to get you to do a turn a few years ago. Enjoy life, Momma and Colt as you start another chapter in your life.
              Throughout the 8 years that I’ve lived in town, it has been Momma and Colt that have kept my spirits up. And of course there were a few other things; things like reading the magazine and having a part in writing the magazine. Things like going to the rally to see my people once a year. Teeter boards, trail rides, and lawn chairs under the shade tree every June.

I am grateful for all of this and I am thankful to all of these people. They are the kind of people you want in your life; people who send you a new Buck knife in the mail, people who haul tires for you all the way from Indiana, people who dial you long-distance when you’re going in for neck surgery. Power Wagon people.

They say if a person knows who he is, and what he wants to do, everything else will fall into place. I will miss going to the rally this year, but I am going to a place where life is just as good, a place where I can spend most of my time with a lovely woman who knows me and likes me anyway.

Thanks for the prayers and good wishes. We will see you in 2013.

Comment

Originally posted by Gordon Maney View Post
                I've always loved running. As each year passes, I am finding that there are fewer things I can still do. I will hold onto running as long as I can.

Comment

I hear you

Originally posted by Gordon Maney View Post
                  You and me both Gordon. And if Kevin could walk a mile in my shoes, he wouldn't be able to run a mile either. ;^)

Comment

Originally posted by Clint Dixon View Post
                    You and me both Gordon. And if Kevin could walk a mile in my shoes, he wouldn't be able to run a mile either. ;^)
                    When Dad passed away, Mom gave me all of his shoes. The first thing that occurred to me was that I would now have the opportunity to walk a mile in his shoes.

As you know, he walked tall throughout his life. It was liberating to don those shoes and go running. When I think of his last months, I think of the difficulty he had in drawing a single breath and how he continued to walk tall despite it. Thinking of him makes me really cut loose and run like a teenager.

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin Mienke View Post
                      I've always loved running. As each year passes, I am finding that there are fewer things I can still do. I will hold onto running as long as I can.
                      When the back and knees went and the pain from arthritis was too much to bear, I had to stop running. But I found the same solitude and exercise in riding my mountain bike, with considerably less pain and the same reward...so know that you can have a fall back plan. ;)

Comment

Good to hear from you Norm.

I'm not much good on a bike, that's for sure. But I might take it up when we get to NC. It's something I've been thinking about for a while.

If we settle where we think we might settle, Morrow Mountain will be nearby. It looks like a great place to ride or even hike. I think hiking in the mountains might be a better workout than running is here in the plains states. It seems biking in the mountains would take it even one step further.

Comment

...and the reason I prefer mountain bikes, is to stay away from cars, most of which seem to be a bit larger and faster than my bike. ;)

Good luck on your move!

Comment

I am like Norm, for years I loved to run and did it several times a week. After I hit age 50 or so, however, my back would "talk" to me after a run. Now, at nearly 59, I do not even push it that way anymore. Walking and biking are much more to my back's liking.

Kevin, I looked on the map for Morrow Mtn, and that is pretty close to Charles Talbert's place. You would enjoy a visit to his shop, I would imagine. He did some work for me.
                            Also Todd Somers is not that much north of you.

Comment

Originally posted by Doc Dave View Post
                              Kevin, I looked on the map for Morrow Mtn, and that is pretty close to Charles Talbert's place. You would enjoy a visit to his shop, I would imagine. He did some work for me.
                              Also Todd Somers is not that much north of you.
                              Good to hear from you Dave. The rural area just west of Morrow Mtn. seems to be a great fit for both Momma and me; a perfect compromise considering I wanted to be in or near the mountains and she wanted to be where the climate is a bit warmer. Of course the Uwharrie range is not everything that Blue Ridge is, but it has everything I really want and is super convenient to the topography and climate where Momma will be the happiest.

Having Power Wagon buddies nearby is a great perk. In fact, Charles has been of great help in sending me information about the area. We plan to get together and talk during our house hunting trip.

Comment

Working...
                              X