curious-Dodge Power Wagon vs Dodge Power Ram questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• curious-Dodge Power Wagon vs Dodge Power Ram questions

Since I have never owned a 4 wheel drive vehicle of any kind, and have a little knowledge of Dodge, I have never been able to figure out the difference between Power Wagons, and Power Rams, if there is any, and I am sure there is.
    The reason I ask is that I saw a 1987 Dodge Power Ram 250 listed for sale, and I was curious to know if it was as "good" or as "durable" I guess would be a better description as a Power Wagon.
    I have had an interest in 4 wheel drive for awhile, but until I saw this truck, I didn't see anything that shouted "buy me, buy me!"
    I know that Dodge "brought back" the Power Wagon, but they also "brought back" the Hemi, which is really a poly. Which leads to the question is the new Power Wagon just for advertisement the same as the Hemi?

Power Wagon became Power Ram in 1981 (name only applied to 4wd). Then all Dodge trucks became Ram in 1994.

New Power Wagon (2005-up) actually has options not offered on other Ram 4x4's, so its not just a nameplate.

Bucky

Comment

2005+ Power Wagon "Ask the man who owns one"

For the past seven years, I have seen many questions about the "new" POWER WAGON asked on Forums by folks who have never been close to one. I am amazed and amused by the answers made by - wait for it - folks who have never been close to one.

"Ask the man who owns one" was the simple advertising slogan of the Packard Company back when the reputation of their cars was based on what the owners told folks instead of from the advertising "hype" that faces us today.

I am a "man who owns one". I have taken my 2005 POWER WAGON to rallies to let folks get acquainted with my “new” POWER WAGON. I have let many folks drive it and play with the switches and gadgets that only the POWER WAGON has. And I have discussed my truck in detail on my web site at www.texaspowerwagon.com

Bucky, you are always welcome to come 200 miles to one of our Texas POWER WAGON Reunions. And you would be one who has driven a "new" POWER WAGON.

DB69, Come to the Vintage POWER WAGON Rally next month and drive my "new" POWER WAGON. It's not all that far from Mi City (My mom's family was from Elkhart.)

Actually, this thread could have been in the "1994 & newer Dodge Ram 4X4 trucks" section except that IT IS NOT A RAM.

One final note... While the Hemi is basically the same, the computer commands are different to optimize the off road performance.

Comment

I have been in one (2005), just never owned one. I guess I should have given him a complete detailed run-down of the differences between it & a Ram.

Comment

I will be at the Rally in Iowa, I will be driving my 1983 D150 Royal with a factory utiline bed.
          The reason I asked the questions I did is that even though I have some books regarding Dodge trucks, none of them make mention about similarities/differences between original Power Wagons and Power Rams. I was surprised at the lack of information or comparison on 4wd trucks
          I have never had a 4wd vehicle, however I think that may not be case soon, I have seen a Power Ram 250 that has piqued my interest, in fact it is one of the few vehicles that I have seen in the last 10 years that shouts "buy me!, buy me!" There is something about the body style of Dodge trucks from 1986-1990, that really still attracts me. I still think they look as good today as when they were new.

Comment

Test Drive

I'll see you there and let you drive my POWER WAGON. Look for me at the Fairgrounds.

Comment

Paul,
              I will be looking forward to meeting you!

Comment

Working...
              X