Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Prices expected to go up on PW's- an experts opinion?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Prices expected to go up on PW's- an experts opinion?

In the latest copy of Vintage Truck magazine (my favorite magazine along with PWA) there is an interview with McKeel Hagerty, CEO of Hagerty vehicle insurance.

He has a very nice 1962 IH C-120 crew cab Travelite pickup, fully restored.

He commented that: "The classic pickup collecting hobby is probably where the classic car hobby was 25-30 years ago with prices for the rarest vehicles still within reach, although the rarest examples are rising rapidly....in the past 18 months. As more people turn their attention to classic pickups, prices will inevitably rise. The next five-to-ten years will be huge for this segment".

Those who are thinking of buying a PW in nice shape might want to do so now. Those thinking of selling might want to wait a bit...?

I bought my first truck for $200 and drove it home.

In 1973.
    Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

Comment

Originally posted by Gordon Maney View Post

In 1973.
      It cost me $1200 to adopt GUS...2001

CD
      1949 B-1 PW (Gus)
      1955 C-3 PW (Woodrow)
      2001 Dodge 2500 (Dish...formerly Maney's Mopar)
      1978 Suzuki GS1000EC (fulfills the need...the need for speed)
      1954 Ford 860 tractor
      1966 Chrysler LS 16 sailboat (as yet un-named)
      UVA UVAM VIVENDO VARIA FITS

Comment

I sold 4 at once (plus a lot of parts) for 2k in '93 and paid many multiples of that for one last year. So, for me, I have already seen an escalation in prices. Of course I am a poor basis for judgement since with the occasional exception I have often bought dear and sold cheap. Sigh.
        DavidGB

Comment

Originally posted by Gordon Maney View Post

In 1973.
          LOL, I recently paid $2k and towed mine home. However, I actually think I got a deal... time will tell.

Comment

I've commented on the other forum about people my age and their interest in antique vehicles, but on the subject of prices I have a feeling that he's being optomistic, or I'm reading into it more than he means.

I don't think you're going to see the price climb in trucks you saw in muscle cars and similar, if for no other reason than I think that bubble has burst, and like houses I'm not sure we'll see quite that level of intensity again in either market.

I agree prices will climb somewhat as more people look to trucks as a lower cost way to get an antique vehicle. They also have a practicality as a secondary machine that you won't get out of an antique car. You can have a daily driver and the truck can be a Sunday drive for pleasure or to the home store for some lumber.

Outside of some niche markets though I'm not sure there's going to be any crazy high numbers associated with truck values like we saw with some other classes.

Comment

Working...
            X