New friends

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New friends

I recently made two new friends. They appeared unexpectedly at my shop and introduced themselves by lying down under my truck with me. They seemed intensely interested in everything I did. They looked parched so I rolled out from under my truck and found something for them to drink out of.
    They seemed quite grateful for the water but it was clear they could both use a meal.
    One appears to be a yellow Lab and the other a Queensland heeler . They wore no collars but appear well nourished. The well behaved duo were very cooperative and eagerly jumped into the back of my recently aquired Durango, It still has the K-9 partition behind the back seat. I made a couple improvised leads to keep them from dashing out into traffic and of to the Vet we went.
    The Vet scanned them for chips and found one in the Lab. He appears to be about two years old. The other dog remains unidentified and as of six o'clock wednesday the Labs contact info seems to be defunct. I told the Vet to look them over and off I went to purchase food, collars and leads.
    I haven't named them officially yet, although for now I'm calling them Doug & Dinsdale. I've followed the Vets instructions and notified animal control. I won't be taking them to a shelter though. No, they'll stay with us until we figure out where they belong. I've got a pretty good Idea where that is to.

I haven't had a dog in years, the last one was an Australian shepherd who liked to herd just about anything. He got between me and a rattlesnake, I couldn't get him to a vet fast enough. He died with his head on my lap while I sped out of the canyon. I buried Frodo in my back yard and planted a tree on the spot. Frodo was a great dog, he was given to me when his previous owner realized the dog needed more exercise than he or his apartment could provide. So it's been hard for me to wrap my head around getting another dog, and now it appears I have two.

There were a couple of tense moments with the barn cats but everybody seems to be getting along. The Mrs. strongly approves and is rapidly becoming attached.

I'll post a couple pics as soon as I find my camera. I know a lot of you guys are dog lovers so I thought you'd get a kick out of this.

That's awesome that you are willing to take care of them until you can find their home/s. Good luck, it seems they came to the right place!

Comment

Originally posted by CSCameron View Post
      That's awesome that you are willing to take care of them until you can find their home/s. Good luck, it seems they came to the right place!
      I don't think I'm doing anything special. I've seen people stop in the middle of busy freeways to rescue animals. It's not something I recommend, but their hearts in the right place.

Dinsdale the Heeler met Mr Gray today. Mr. Gray is the name we have applied to the patriarch of the barn cats. I suspect he weighs around 22 lbs. He was 18 lbs when he was weighed a couple years back. I know this because I took him to the vet for treatment after a run-in with a racoon. I buried the racoon . I did warn the vet that he was not a house cat. He's a big cat to say the least and not fat. He has six toes on each foot and nobody hassles him. I saw him dragging a full grown possum last week.
      Dinsdale circled Mr.Gray several times while the cat ambled across the yard, finally stopping right in front of Mr.Gray in the traditional play posture. Hindquarters up forequarters down with his chin on his paws. Mr. Gray sat down and gave the dog a look that I liken to looking over the top of one's glasses at a petulant child. Dinsdale got the message, the other cats tolerate them and even play and doze with them . Doug had several cats laying on and about him when I looked out this morning.

I think they'll be permanent fixtures here before much longer. I'll only put just so much effort to find their owners.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Thompson View Post
        I don't think I'm doing anything special. I've seen people stop in the middle of busy freeways to rescue animals. It's not something I recommend, but their hearts in the right place.

Dinsdale the Heeler met Mr Gray today. Mr. Gray is the name we have applied to the patriarch of the barn cats. I suspect he weighs around 22 lbs. He was 18 lbs when he was weighed a couple years back. I know this because I took him to the vet for treatment after a run-in with a racoon. I buried the racoon . I did warn the vet that he was not a house cat. He's a big cat to say the least and not fat. He has six toes on each foot and nobody hassles him. I saw him dragging a full grown possum last week.
        Dinsdale circled Mr.Gray several times while the cat ambled across the yard, finally stopping right in front of Mr.Gray in the traditional play posture. Hindquarters up forequarters down with his chin on his paws. Mr. Gray sat down and gave the dog a look that I liken to looking over the top of one's glasses at a petulant child. Dinsdale got the message, the other cats tolerate them and even play and doze with them . Doug had several cats laying on and about him when I looked out this morning.

I think they'll be permanent fixtures here before much longer. I'll only put just so much effort to find their owners.
        That's funny, my wife and I are those people stopping on busy thoroughfares to rescue strays.

It sounds like they are making themselves at home. Glad they are getting along with everyone.

Comment

Originally posted by CSCameron View Post
          That's funny, my wife and I are those people stopping on busy thoroughfares to rescue strays.

It sounds like they are making themselves at home. Glad they are getting along with everyone.
          Bob,
          CS,

You are my kind of people. My wife and I are suckers for strays, lost animals, or pets. Last month a little old Dachshund came ambeling up to our house in pitiful condition. My wife took him to to our vet and was told that he has had a rough life, is 10-14 years old most teeth are in bad shape, has had a broken back right leg that was not set, and did not heal properly, he walks with a limp, has arthritus, and a cataract in left eye. Vet said sombody probably dumped him, and did not want to deal with the problems he has.

Well, if you knew my wife she told the vet to fix him the best he could, so he Jack (my wife named him) could be comfortable in the few years remaining. Vet bill was $525.00 8-teeth pulled, cataract and back problem still there but seems to be better, plus $50.00 a month for pills and special diet. Well worth it.

Jack has made himself at home with the 3-cats and 2-dogs we have, he is feeling better I think, he want's to be in the wife's or my lap and covered with a blanket (I think it makes him feel better being warm) when we are watching tv.

We have put up flyers in the local stores and in the newspaper for sombody to claim him but, to date not a word.

So, he is going to be a new addition to our family!

Bob

Comment

Good work!
            Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

Comment

You are all good people!
              I have rarely met anyone who liked animals who was a "bad" egg. Almost always had a kindness in them.

Comment

Sounds like the dogs happened upon a great household.
                We have two [black] Labs. They're great dogs. Good
                luck with your new pals.
                John

Comment

Originally posted by Doc Dave View Post
                  You are all good people!
                  I have rarely met anyone who liked animals who was a "bad" egg. Almost always had a kindness in them.
                  For the most part that is true Dave. I have seen people however, who will pamper their pets yet let their kids run around unfed and barely clothed. I encountered one guy who spent his mothers medication money to buy a fancy leather jacket for his pitbull.
                  But that's the human spectrum for you.

Comment

For the most part that is true Dave. I have seen people however, who will pamper their pets yet let their kids run around unfed and barely clothed. I encountered one guy who spent his mothers medication money to buy a fancy leather jacket for his pitbull.
                    But that's the human spectrum for you.
                    You are right about that.
                    I know a lady who grooms animals for a living. An acquaintance of mine went by her house once, and her little toddler came out with cat fur stuck to his snotty nose! Not too closely watched, I guess.

Comment

Owners Found!

Well I didn't think I'd be reporting this, but Doug & Dinsdale's owners have been located.
                      Apparently these folks just moved to Whittier. The father Bill drove out here first with the dogs, cats and a U-haul. Mom and the kids were to follow after the moving van left.
                      Bill gave the dogs a bath three weeks ago and let the dogs run around out back and left to do some shopping. When he returned the dogs had gotten out of a side gate that he swears was latched. He's been looking ever since. He started his new job the monday after they went missing so his ability to follow up with the various agencies was seriously affected. Ultimately it was the chip in the Lab that did the trick. It also explains why the contact info wasn't any good .
                      Bill offered a sizable reward which was nice, but I told him he could cover the Vet's bill but nothing more.
                      They will be by this evening to be reunited with their dogs who are named Romulus and Remus . I can't begin to explain why they picked me, but I'm glad they did. It has been a great experience.
                      I suppose we'll miss them for awhile but I think there's a couple of dogs in a shelter near here that will have a new home soon. We were going to wait until we made the move to Nevada but we have reconsidered.
                      I will remind Bill to update his contact info and get the Heeler chipped as well.

Comment

You are right about that.
                        I know a lady who grooms animals for a living. An acquaintance of mine went by her house once, and her little toddler came out with cat fur stuck to his snotty nose! Not too closely watched, I guess.
                        I wouldn't Judge by cat hair, I often look like I'm growing my winter coat thanks to our cats. ;-)

Dave, are you a Veterinarian ? I can't recall if you haid said so , or I was just presuming.

Comment

Well I didn't think I'd be reporting this, but Doug & Dinsdale's owners have been located...
                          Wow! Talk about something that never happens. That is awesome! Glad they will be reunited with their owners. I know their kids will be very happy. It was providence that those dogs found you. Another benefit is that two shelter dogs will soon have a new home. Fantastic! You and your wife are to be commended. Well done!

Comment

I wouldn't Judge by cat hair, I often look like I'm growing my winter coat thanks to our cats. ;-)

Dave, are you a Veterinarian ? I can't recall if you haid said so , or I was just presuming.
                            Yes I am Bob, been practicing for 35 plus years.
                            The time has gone quickly by...

Comment

Yes I am Bob, been practicing for 35 plus years.
                              The time has gone quickly by...
                              Large or small animal?

Are you familiar with Baxter Black?

I've got a great story about turning a calf when I was about eight.
                              You would probably get a kick out of it.

Comment

Working...
                              X