WWII Graffiti

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WWII Graffiti

Some of you may know, and others may not, but I am a Bridge and Structural Engineer by trade. The A&E firm I work for maintains a contract with the Federal Highways Admin and National Park Service to inspect quite a few of the park and federal structures. Last week I was sent with a team to the Arlington-Memorial Bridge over the Potomoc river. The bridge was built between '27 and '33 and is comprised of 8 large concrete and stone arches, one center steel arch that used to be a lift span, and two smaller arches at each end over GWMP and Ohio Drive. While we were inspecting the bridge, I stumbled across all sorts of Graffiti from when the structure was built, but the one that caught my eye was from the 176th Infantry in January of 1942. After talking with some of the park people and doing some reasearch on my own, evidently the bridge was used for tunnel and confined space training during the early part of the war. It was also planned to be used as an emergency bunker. Unfortunately, due to the design of the structure, you cannot traverse from one end of the other through the inside only. I don't know if you guys find it as intersting as I do, but I thought it was pretty cool. The inside of this bridge ranges from extremely spacious to down right claustrophobic.

Attached Files
    1942 WC53 Carryall in progress.

And a few pictures to show the differentiation in space...

At the Piers...

At the arch Crowns...

Comment

Neat! The piers are all poured concrete? They look to be in very nice condition.
      Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

Comment

Originally posted by Gordon Maney View Post
        Neat! The piers are all poured concrete? They look to be in very nice condition.
        The entire bridge is actually board formed and poured concrete, arches, piers, arch walls, etc. The exterior is a stone fascia and the center span is a steel double bascule lift span. The photo is decieving... The structure needs help, but its going to be getting it soon which is a nice thing.

Comment

That is pretty neat. Seeing things like this makes me feel like I'm traveling back in time. I can imagine those young men taking a break from their activities and covertly writing their names on the wall.

Comment

Very nice! If you get up this way again or in the Annapolis area give me a shout. Doc Langford is a bit South of us here in St. Mary's County. Maybe you can inspect my latest bridge... I used 26 foot long W8x50 beams. It appears to hold up to my little John Deere...

No WWII graffiti here!

Wayne
            Attached Files

Comment

Working...
            X