• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Polonius on lending

Polonius:

Neither a borrower nor a lender be,
    For loan oft loses both itself and friend,
    And borrowing dulls the edge of husbandry.

Hamlet Act 1, scene 3, 75–77

Old Polonius counsels his hotheaded son Laertes, who is about to embark for Paris for his gentleman's education.

His logic is thus: lending money to friends is risky, because hitching debt onto personal relationships can cause resentment and, in the case of default, loses the lender both his money and his friend. Borrowing invites more private dangers: it supplants domestic thrift ("husbandry")—in Polonius's eyes, an important gentlemanly value.

Incidentally, in the days when Hamlet was first staged, borrowing was epidemic among the gentry, who sometimes neglected husbandry to the point where they were selling off their estates piece by piece to maintain an ostentatious lifestyle in London.

Stated another way:

I speak as an old mechanic, having at one time made my living with tools that belong to me, that I purchased with my own money. These were tools I stored and cared for myself, as I used them every day in my job. Tools are not cheap. Quality tools are especially not cheap. There is no bargain in the cheap tool. I have no interest in visiting Harbor Freight.

When you are a mechanic earning a living and have to buy your own tools, you quickly recognize why others should not be asking to borrow those tools.

In borrowing your tools the borrower saves money at your expense.

Also, too often they do not properly care for the tool, they do not clean the tool, and sometimes they break or lose the tool. It is also not uncommon for them to have the tool when you need it.

As a kid I watched my dad and some of his friends demonstrate all of these things as they occasionally, hesitantly, loaned an item to someone. Invariably it either didn't come back at all, or it came back broken or filthy, or came back months late and after an actual need for the item. Ultimately they all decided borrowing and loaning were bad ideas.

I have asked people — "why don't you buy one?" Their reply? "Why should I buy one when you have one…. I can just borrow it from you." Hardly any opportunism there. That line doesn't work with me.

In my lifetime I have spent what is realistically an enormous sum of money buying things that I needed or felt that I would likely need in an imagined future. I have a decal on one of my roller cabinets; it came from the Mac tool man. It says — don't ask to borrow my tools. All of us in the service department had decals like that, either from Snap-On or Mac. We all understood.
    Attached Files
    Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

It applies to the tools I use in my trade too, painting.
    While an individual paint brush, putty knife, spray tip or whatever may not be expensive, collectively they cost quite a bit. I lose enough tools to wear & tear. I have seldom found someone else who returns a tool in the same condition as they received it in. Often it doesn't come back at all, or only after my prompting them.

Its always the same slackers who want something. And they go through their whole life mooching off of others.

I work best alone.

Bucky

Comment

Actually, it applies to everything... ;)

Comment

I posted this somewhile ago, Another reason not to be a lender. Say hello to Mr. Liability.
        I will loan handtools to someone I deem competent but they are few and far between.
        If one of my neighbors wants to borrow something I will usually go with, just to see to it that no blood is spilled.

Bob Thompson
        Executive Cheese Straightener

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

One of my neighbors came by friday evening to bum a chainsaw .
        I had to tell him that I had dropped it by the lawnmower shop for repair . I had loaned it out sometime back and forgot to drain it when it was returned.
        I didn't feel comfortable loaning out the 24" Husky it can easily get away from a novice or even an experienced operater.
        Sunday evening his son showed up at my door with a chainsaw and fuel can.
        I had to explain to him that it wasn't mine and asked why his Dad wasn't doing this. He informed me that the saw had bucked and caught him in the chin and face , in the process it tore him up pretty bad. He'll live but his modeling days are done.
        I recognized the chainsaw and showed the boy where to take it. Together we told Travis what had happened. After the boy left I told Travis he might consider contacting his insurance agent and his attorney just in case. The injured neighbor is just the kind of goof that would drag the owner of the saw into a lawsuit against the manufacturer.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Thompson View Post
          I posted this somewhile ago, Another reason not to be a lender. Say hello to Mr. Liability.
          I will loan handtools to someone I deem competent but they are few and far between.
          If one of my neighbors wants to borrow something I will usually go with, just to see to it that no blood is spilled.

Bob Thompson
          Executive Cheese Straightener

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

One of my neighbors came by friday evening to bum a chainsaw .
          I had to tell him that I had dropped it by the lawnmower shop for repair . I had loaned it out sometime back and forgot to drain it when it was returned.
          I didn't feel comfortable loaning out the 24" Husky it can easily get away from a novice or even an experienced operater.
          Sunday evening his son showed up at my door with a chainsaw and fuel can.
          I had to explain to him that it wasn't mine and asked why his Dad wasn't doing this. He informed me that the saw had bucked and caught him in the chin and face , in the process it tore him up pretty bad. He'll live but his modeling days are done.
          I recognized the chainsaw and showed the boy where to take it. Together we told Travis what had happened. After the boy left I told Travis he might consider contacting his insurance agent and his attorney just in case. The injured neighbor is just the kind of goof that would drag the owner of the saw into a lawsuit against the manufacturer.

A great reason to not loan things, especially things like that, or ladders or scaffolding.

Comment

Originally posted by CSCameron View Post
            Actually, it applies to everything... ;)
            Very true.

Comment

My employer constantly loans tools, spray equipment, trailers, bucket truck, scaffolding etc out to others. Then he complains about how he hates folks bumming stuff from him. He should learn to say NO.

I'm the one who gets to fix the stuff when (if) it's returned. And I'm the one who has to pick his brain when something is out of place because he forgets that he loaned something out, or who he loaned it to. Often he thinks something is stolen, only to realize he had loaned it out and forgotten about it.

I won't even go into the tools that are left behind on jobs, or really are stolen.

Bucky

Comment

Originally posted by 712edf View Post
                My employer constantly loans tools, spray equipment, trailers, bucket truck, scaffolding etc out to others. Then he complains about how he hates folks bumming stuff from him. He should learn to say NO.

I'm the one who gets to fix the stuff when (if) it's returned. And I'm the one who has to pick his brain when something is out of place because he forgets that he loaned something out, or who he loaned it to. Often he thinks something is stolen, only to realize he had loaned it out and forgotten about it.

I won't even go into the tools that are left behind on jobs, or really are stolen.

Bucky
                You would think business person would know better.

Comment

He's not very business oriented. He is a people person, everybody likes him (besides employees). He gets taken advantage of in respect to folks borrowing things.
                  But as long as the workers keep the money rolling in, he's content.

Funny thing, he called today asking if HE had any wrenches larger than 1" to go work on a plow (deer lease toy) with.
                  He doesn't even know what's in his own shop.
                  I offered the use of my 3/4" drive socket set, but luckily he was too lazy to come get them.

Bucky

Comment

One of the first power tools I bought as a teenager was an air powered sander. One of the neighbor kids promptly borrowed it. I had to ask for it back. Again he came and borrowed it. Again, he didn't bring it back, this time for a few weeks. I then went over to his Dad's shop and there was my new sander laying on middle the floor. His response: "Do ya need it for something?"

He was promptly taken off the list.

Another kid borrowed one of my tin snips. I told him to be very careful with it, as the jaws broke easily. That afternoon, he brought it back and told me he broke the jaws. He was pretty upset and I told him it was OK, not to worry about it. But he insisted that I tell him where he could get replacements. He then bought them, and promply installed them on the tool. I was pretty impressed. I told my Dad, and he told me the kid's Mom had borrowed an ancient pick from him one time. She brought it back with a new handle.

We are still friends.

Comment

Working...
                    X