New PWA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New PWA

I received my September PWA on Wednesday. The Sitting on the tailgate piece was great.
    My thanks to Gordon for another entertaining issue.

Originally posted by Bob Thompson View Post
    I received my September PWA on Wednesday. The Sitting on the tailgate piece was great.
    My thanks to Gordon for another entertaining issue.
    And your article was well written too, Bob. Good stuff. Better than anything I've read previously on the subject.

For those of you who haven't got your issue yet...don't read the rest of my post.

I just got my PWA today and really liked it. Of course I have 22 years worth of PWA sitting on my shelf and have liked them all. Still, this particular one seemed especially sweet, starting with Doc Dave’s cover photo taken at the Outer Banks and ending with back page tales of M37’s, polar bears, and all such things from the frozen tundra of the North.

My regards to Judd, Bob, and all who wrote. Just plain well done.

And of course Gordon always nails Sitting on the Tailgate.

Growing up on a farm, I had the privilege of driving manual transmission trucks and tractors at a very young age…I don’t know exactly how young…but I recall having to sit at the very front edge of the seat to be able to accomplish it with my short legs and arms. Many decades later, it remains a great memory of my young days on an Iowa farm. Of course Gordon handily expressed how and why some kids are able to perform man duties while other kids are still learning shapes and colors.

Judd Beitz’ article was something that hit home for me as well. I suspect I’m not the only one. With the busyness of life, I judge most of us have one thing or another that keeps us tied up…sometimes missing out on the things that we love to do…putting the hard stuff ahead of the fun stuff. And that’s ok. It’s what good men do. But, the beauty of Judd’s article was that it pointed to the value of mixing in the fun stuff too….the value of realizing that the years slip by quickly, and that today might be a good day to wake up and drive a Power Wagon around…or whatever…maybe paddle a kayak down the river…or gather at the dinner table with family…or spend a bit more time with friends.

The years do slip by.

I think I’d like to join Doc Dave up at the Outer Banks next summer. Looks like a good way to use a day or two or three.

And on up to Iowa. I could go in for seeing Gordon, Clint, Tom, Ron and all such people…good people.

Comment

Thank you Kevin, for the kind words.
      With the Grand kids gone home and the house quiet, I was finally able to get to Judd's article. Taken in with a glass of Moscato and Chet Atkins in the background I thoroughly enjoyed it. Like Kevin he has the ability to draw one in and share the enthusiasm he so obviously has for these trucks and their people. I would write more but many have not had the opportunity to read it yet, and so I shall restrain myself.
      I have renewed my pledge to attend the Iowa rally and I wouldn't mind taking a shot at the Outer Banks either.

Comment

Thank you for the compliments!
        Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

Comment

Kevin,
          That would be fun to cruise the OBX.
          Bob, if you came out I would have to come up with some sort of prize for the longest distance traveled!

Comment

I really enjoyed the September PWA. A splendid issue all around, but I really enjoyed the beach pix, especially with the Hatteras Lighthouse in the back ground. I have not seen it in it's new location...

...Great pictures, Doc!

CD
            1949 B-1 PW (Gus)
            1955 C-3 PW (Woodrow)
            2001 Dodge 2500 (Dish...formerly Maney's Mopar)
            1978 Suzuki GS1000EC (fulfills the need...the need for speed)
            1954 Ford 860 tractor
            1966 Chrysler LS 16 sailboat (as yet un-named)
            UVA UVAM VIVENDO VARIA FITS

Comment

Dave,
              There is a plaque near the new location of the lighthouse. It is an award that was received by the engineering company that moved it.
              Apparently the civil engineering world recognized what an amazingly challenging job it was to move it the distance they did. It is a large masonry structure, I can't recall the estimated weight but it was immense.
              THe way they moved it, after jacking it up with multiple big air jacks and extensive cribbing, then on a railway is amazing to me, a "frustrated engineer".

Comment

I haven't (as of Wed 9-4) received my Sept PWA yet. I got married & moved across, town. This will probably throw the USPS off kilter. For me, all the paperwork involved with an address change is much more of a headache than the actual process of throwing my junk in a pick-up bed & carrying it across town.

I did send Gordon my new address on my renewal form, which I hope he got before Sept 1st. My current subscription expires in Oct.

And NO, I haven't read all of Kevin's post :-)

Bucky

Comment

Originally posted by 712edf View Post
                  I haven't (as of Wed 9-4) received my Sept PWA yet. I got married & moved across, town. This will probably throw the USPS off kilter. For me, all the paperwork involved with an address change is much more of a headache than the actual process of throwing my junk in a pick-up bed & carrying it across town.

I did send Gordon my new address on my renewal form, which I hope he got before Sept 1st. My current subscription expires in Oct.

And NO, I haven't read all of Kevin's post :-)

Bucky
                  The September issue mailed mid-August. It went to whatever address I would have had at that time. The next issue mailing is October.
                  Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

Comment

Originally posted by Gordon Maney View Post
                    The September issue mailed mid-August. It went to whatever address I would have had at that time. The next issue mailing is October.
                    I assume its floating around in the mail system. It would have had the old address, but they are supposed to forward it.
                    Thanks,
                    Bucky

Comment

Originally posted by Doc Dave View Post
                      Dave,
                      There is a plaque near the new location of the lighthouse. It is an award that was received by the engineering company that moved it.
                      Apparently the civil engineering world recognized what an amazingly challenging job it was to move it the distance they did. It is a large masonry structure, I can't recall the estimated weight but it was immense.
                      THe way they moved it, after jacking it up with multiple big air jacks and extensive cribbing, then on a railway is amazing to me, a "frustrated engineer".
                      While I have not seen it in person, I followed the move closely when it was done. If I recall, the National Geographic magazine did an extensive article on it...fascinating indeed!

CD
                      1949 B-1 PW (Gus)
                      1955 C-3 PW (Woodrow)
                      2001 Dodge 2500 (Dish...formerly Maney's Mopar)
                      1978 Suzuki GS1000EC (fulfills the need...the need for speed)
                      1954 Ford 860 tractor
                      1966 Chrysler LS 16 sailboat (as yet un-named)
                      UVA UVAM VIVENDO VARIA FITS

Comment

Working...
                      X