Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cummins News

Link

I hope we see one for Dodge. We need it.
    Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

This still pains me to say this..... but..... here goes.....

There are no Dodge trucks anymore.... For whatever
    their idiotic reasons, they stripped the Dodge name from them.
    We have Rams now....

I too hope that this engine finds its way into the 1500 Series
    Ram trucks.

John

Comment

Read this article I read on TDR

» WHAT IS NEW FOR 2014? By Robert Patton | Published 08/28/2013 | Press Releases | Unrated
      WHAT IS NEW FOR 2014?
      The answer to this question depends on whom you ask.

2014 Consumer Trucks

The short answer for the folks that are interested in the consumer marketplace and the 2500/3500 Heavy Duty trucks:

A new 6.4-liter Hemi gasoline engine was introduced for the 2500s and 3500s.The engine is 410 hp/429 ft-lb torque with variable valve timing and cylinder deactivation for light load fuel economy.

The 2500s are now are equipped with a link coil rear suspension that is approved for up to 17,940 pounds of towing.

The 2500 link suspension can be ordered with air bags to replace the coil springs.Load capacity is not sacrificed with the air bags.Automatic load leveling is a feature of the optional air bag system.

The higher tow ratings for the 2500s (and last year’s 3500s) necessitated changes to the front suspension.Two-wheel drive versions no longer have independent front suspension, but rather they adopt a three link front suspension (think four-wheel drive with the drive axle).This increases the roll stiffness of the truck.

For 2014, the Ram 2500 will offer a range of new 18” and 20” wheels.

The 2500 truck’s frame is now equipped with the gooseneck or fifth-wheel center positions in the bed.

The 3500s continue with a leaf-type spring system in the rear.However, there is a supplemental air suspension available for the rear on both the SRW and DRW trucks.

Dual amp alternator is available.

Three diesel engine options:

- 350 hp/660 torque with manual G56 six-speed

- 370 hp/800 torque with automatic Chrysler 68RFE six-speed

- For 3500 only – 385 hp/850 torque with automatic Aisin AS69RC six-speed

The long answer about the 2014 consumer is supplied to us by Ram marketing in this late June, 2013 press release.

2014 Ram Heavy Duty - Click Here to Read Ram Press Release

2014 Chassis Cab Trucks

Now let’s go back to the original question.What is new for 2014?Again, the answer depends on whom you ask.The short answer for the Chassis Cab trucks:

As we have seen in the past, the Chassis Cab trucks adopt many of the attributes that are first introduced in the consumer marketplace.For example, the updates to the truck’s frame give the Chassis Cab trucks bragging rights to best-in-class gross combined weight ratings and tow ratings:

- 3500 truck – GCWR 30,000 / tow 22,750

- 4500 truck – GCWR 32,500 / tow 24,650

- 5500 truck – GCWR 37,500 / tow 29,600

A new 6.4-liter Hemi gasoline engine is available with 367 hp and 429 torque.This gasoline engine is also offered in the 4500/5500 trucks.

New three-link suspension is available on applications of the two-wheel drive Ram 3500 Chassis Cab.

Next generation selective catalyst reduction (SCR) exhaust aftermarket system.Initially the first 2006 Ram 3500 Chassis Cab did not have the same exhaust aftermarket as the consumer trucks.New emissions legislation in 2010 drove the Chassis Cab trucks to adopt the first generation of SCR.

Again, the long answer about the 20214 Chassis Cab trucks is supplied to us by Ram marketing in this late June, 2013 press release:

2014 Chassis Cab Lineup - Click Here to Read Ram Press Release

And there is supposed to be a V8 turbo Diesel for the 1500 trucks. Not a Cummins though.
      Article on 1500 here

http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2...the-works.html

Tom
      WDX & Misc. Pics.
      http://www.t137.com/cpg/index.php?cat=10010
      "47" Dodge WDX WW
      "52" Dodge M-37 WW
      "54" Willys M38A1
      "65" Kaiser M35A1 WW
      "77" Chev. K-30 400T,205,4.56 "No-Spin"
      "84" Chev, K-30 Cummins 6-BTA 400,205,3.73Locker
      "86" Chev, M1028A2 (K30) 6.2,400.205,4.56 Locker
      "99" Dodge Durango "Limited Slip"
      "99" Dodge 3500 CTD 4x4"No-Spin"

Comment

Toyota has also been hinting that it may run a Cummins Diesel in it's full size trucks. It would be interesting if it were the same motor, not sure Cummins has two diesels that would work.

Ram has basically confirmed that there will be a 1500 diesel, and yes it is basically the same VM diesel that is going in the Grand Cherokee.

From a marketing standpoint it would probably work nicer if it were the smaller V8 Cummins, but this does make sense.
        • The engine/drivetrain has already been designed and proven for the Grand Cherokee, so this is a much less costly and quicker option.
        • VM is part of Fiat, so keeping it in house has got to be a lot cheaper then the Cummins option.
        • This engine should slot in nicely with the V6 and V8 HEMI engines without challenging the 2500/3500 territory.
        Remeber Nissan doesn't have a HD truck option, so this gives them an option against people who might be looking at a 2500 but don't really need or can't afford one.

The VM diesel has slightly more torque then the V8, and less HP then the V6, the towing capability fit it nicely between the V6 and V8 models. Fuel mileage will probably be closer to the V6 so it fits well as an in-between option without stealing any thunder from any of the three 6.7 Cummins options.

Comment

Here's a thought...

In 1982, I replaced my F150 with a new Datsun 720, regular-cab, long-bed, pickup powered by a SD22, diesel engine.

I equipped it with a slide-in, "pop-top" camper that fit the seven foot bed. It had corner jacks for easy removal. With the camper removed, I picked up and delivered motorcycles while I worked for a local motorcycle dealer. I also competed in the Texas State Championship Circuit racing motorcycle enduros. I built a trailer that hauled five motorcycles and miscellaneous gear needed for racing. The little diesel would not do a "burn out" but it got me and a friend or two to remote campgrounds in many parts of Texas.

The fuel mileage was great. I got 44 mpg on the highway. With the camper, I got 22 mpg. With the camper and several motorcycles on the trailer, I was still pleased with 18 mpg.

The one shortcoming was that it was a bit underpowered. I was just getting started in Power Wagons and I towed several of these three-ton trucks home behind the Datsun. After I almost didn't make it to the top of a hill, I bought the first available Dodge with a Cummins in the area.

What makes this Nissan/Cummins thing interesting is that I drive a Dodge Power Wagon that was manufactured in a foreign country. It may be that any future Ram will also be be made in Mexico and have a foreign-built engine, but I will be able to buy a Nissan built in Tennessee with a diesel engine built in Indiana.

What do you think about that?

Comment

It creates an awkward moment and pause for thought.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Cook View Post
              In 1982, I replaced my F150 with a new Datsun 720, regular-cab, long-bed, pickup powered by a SD22, diesel engine.

I equipped it with a slide-in, "pop-top" camper that fit the seven foot bed. It had corner jacks for easy removal. With the camper removed, I picked up and delivered motorcycles while I worked for a local motorcycle dealer. I also competed in the Texas State Championship Circuit racing motorcycle enduros. I built a trailer that hauled five motorcycles and miscellaneous gear needed for racing. The little diesel would not do a "burn out" but it got me and a friend or two to remote campgrounds in many parts of Texas.

The fuel mileage was great. I got 44 mpg on the highway. With the camper, I got 22 mpg. With the camper and several motorcycles on the trailer, I was still pleased with 18 mpg.

The one shortcoming was that it was a bit underpowered. I was just getting started in Power Wagons and I towed several of these three-ton trucks home behind the Datsun. After I almost didn't make it to the top of a hill, I bought the first available Dodge with a Cummins in the area.

What makes this Nissan/Cummins thing interesting is that I drive a Dodge Power Wagon that was manufactured in a foreign country. It may be that any future Ram will also be be made in Mexico and have a foreign-built engine, but I will be able to buy a Nissan built in Tennessee with a diesel engine built in Indiana.

What do you think about that?
              There's an old not so PC joke that goes:

In Heaven…
              The mechanics are German
              The chefs are French
              The police are British
              The lovers are Italian
              And everything is organised by the Swiss.

In Hell…
              The mechanics are French
              The police are German
              The chefs are British
              The lovers are Swiss
              And everything is organised by the Italians.

The current state of Ram trucks is rich with the foregoing irony.
              I've noticed that in my area, prices for pre Ram trucks are climbing.
              I Suppose Ram trucks will continue to be made in Mexico until A: the country stabilizes and labor rates go up. Or B: the country self-destructs and the economy crashes. In either case the next mfg. of Ram trucks will be Mahindra or something of that sort .

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Thompson View Post
                In either case the next mfg. of Ram trucks will be Mahindra or something of that sort .
                The scary part is you might be right. It will all be masterminded by a 26 year old with a brand new MBA.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Petroff View Post
                  Read this article I read on TDR

Tom
                  As a TDR member I have read the same article along with several others, What vexes me is that RAM no longer offers a manual transmission as an option.
                  I wonder if Nissan will offer a manual with the Cummins V8, I suspect not though as I believe the EPA is at the root of that decision.
                  I think I've bought my last new diesel truck. My 08 Dodge (for Dodge it proclaims on the registration, although I have been tempted to rebadge it as a Packard in protest.) Remains reliable at the 85,500 mark and I continue to maintain it with great care. I may purchase a back-up vehicle such as an older dually to use as a hauler, but my current plans are to wear this truck out. I guess we'll see which one of us gives out first.

Most of my interest in the V8 Cummins is for repowering older trucks. I will be curious to see how well the new engine tolerates Bio-Diesel as well.

Comment

There are a lot of issues conspiring against manual transmissions, especially behind the big diesels given how much power they are making, but fuel economy and emissions are definitely big players. Because the automatic transmissions are all computer controlled just like the engines, they can handle more power, broader gear ratios, with better emissions then a manual where you can only control the engine computer.

Not to mention the costs of building, testing, and validating the manual transmission for the probably single digit percentage of people who would want to buy one.

Comment

Working...
                    X