How many Felons are on here?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How many Felons are on here?

Our local county is having a used tire "buy back". They give $2.00 for every used Passenger car tire up to 10 per person, per vehicle. No truck, farm or large tires though. What caught my eye is the last line in the ad. Of all the things you could get a felony for, this is WAY out of line.

That's absurd.
    Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

Comment

I would guess it started out with the idea to curb people who were dumping tires and such. Giving police a reason to stop and question them. Like always, Don't address the real problem, Iinconvenience law abiding people as it is easier to do. 'm sure now that there is a "state registration" there is a fee to be able to haul them which is typical of government. Nothing is okay unless we can tax it.

The irony of it to me is, if it was put in place to help out the environment, they have made a worse impact now. To haul 70 tires to one place you now have to make 7 round trips wasting a LOT of fuel and adding needless pollution. Make it more of a hassle and people will dump them along roads again.

I'm wondering if dumping tires is a felony? Probably only if you are dumping more than 10 without a license!

Comment

Did some digging and found the following.

$10,000 - $25,000 fine can be charged for illegally dumping tires with up to 4 years in jail time.

To get "State Registration" to be able to haul more than 10 tires at a time requires you to SUBMIT $300.00 and an application to see if you can become a legal hauler.

Dad hauled his in today and said they consider "truck" tires anything over a 20 inch rim so normal truck tires would be fine. Said they had 10 big dumpsters that were being constantly stacked with plenty of help. Dumpsters were being exchanged very frequently and the lines moved quick. Said 8 dumpsters went out while he was there.

He said the people there encouraged him to bring more which again, if they would levy a one day waiver on the 10 per vehicle limit, it would save a lot of energy and resources.

Comment

The prior owner of our last farm allowed people people to dump tires on his land, usually for a bottle of schnapps. We had to get rid of almost 1000 tires. We were lucky in that a company had just started looking for used tires for a test project (grinding them up to add to asphalt for roads) and removed them for free.
          We had to get rid of the cases of empty schnapps bottles ourselves.

As to your question Kevin, if I lived in your state instead of New York I would have committed a felony as I have knowingly transported more than 10 used tires at a time.

Comment

Every year, our city has a tire "drive", to help clean up the city and county of old, unwanted tires. It is free to residents, and the tires may be mounted.

There is no limit.

It turns out that reclaiming tires is a good business, grinding them into products like mulch, tennis court and track surfaces. There were a few electricity generation plants that experimented with tires, ground fine and sprayed in with the coal.

A few years ago, I was contemplating how to start the process of cleaning up a piece of land my friend owns. Tires were aplenty, and I got wind of this tire drive, about a week off. A plan was hatched...

It took me two days to gather and load 300 tires. I drove around the property with GUS, picking all the mounted tires first , then stacking a central core down the middle of my 20' trailer. Then I gathered all the rest of the tires and formed up the rest of the load. It took me most of the second day just strapping the load down securely.

Saturday morning, I was waiting in line and noticed a woman with a counting clicker in her hand, and a worried look on her face. It turns out she had to count the tires as they were unloaded. The look on her face, when I gave her the actual count, was priceless.

I was unloaded in about 10 minutes...and I was not allowed to help. Such a deal!

CD
            1949 B-1 PW (Gus)
            1955 C-3 PW (Woodrow)
            2001 Dodge 2500 (Dish...formerly Maney's Mopar)
            1978 Suzuki GS1000EC (fulfills the need...the need for speed)
            1954 Ford 860 tractor
            1966 Chrysler LS 16 sailboat (as yet un-named)
            UVA UVAM VIVENDO VARIA FITS

Comment

It's pretty easy to unwittingly commit a felony these days. Some of the experiments we used to do with our chemistry sets would bring the Dept. of Homeland security down around your neck in a big hurry these days.
              I am reminded of a friend of my Dad who related a story about a coworker at ATSF. It seems they had a rookie on their crew and his job was to throw the switch that changes tracks. One of the oldtimers had fiddled with something in the mechanism to cause it not to respond. I don't know what he did and he probably didn't want to say in front of mixed company and kids. (I don't mention the exact chemicals or formulas when discussing some of our pyrotechnic experiments of yore, It's just better that some people don't have that information.) But I digress, Of course the switch didn't work for the rookie and he of course went nuts trying to prevent a derailment on his first week on the job. The oldtimers got a big laugh and eventually so did the rookie but there was too much yakking about it and somehow a supervisor got wind of it. Now most of the train oriented guys on this site can tell you that it is a Federal felony to tamper with any railroad switch, signal or warning device. As the gentlemen in the story became keenly aware. No actual charges were filed but that sort of activity ceased, or at least they became more discrete about it.
              Even the practice of turning on a fire hydrant with a diffuser for urban kids in the summer is no longer innocent fun. Out here the Meth heads have become so adroit at stealing the old hydrants with brass internals that most counties buy all steel and plastic models. So that in California it is illegal to posses hydrant wrenches in a vehicle if one is not authorized. My how things have changed.
              I realize this thread is about tires but I must admit I don't know Californias rules on how many tires you can transport at a time without a permit. But it wouldn't surprise me at all if they included the tires on the vehicle in the count, that's how "Cali rolls bra!"

Comment

Working...
              X