Single front motor mount vs side mounts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Single front motor mount vs side mounts

What year did Dodge trucks go from a single front motor mount in the center to two front motor mounts on the side of the engine? Also, did the change occur in pickups and big trucks in the same year?

I believe it was in the 60s, but I am unsure, and certainly don't know a specific year.

Discuss.
    Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

Somewhere from 67-69

My guess is about 1968-69. 68 was the last year in 100/200/300 series trucks for the hydraulic actuated clutch & the accompanying bellhousing that was equipt with mounts. 69-up trucks didn't have mounts on the bell but had the rear mount under the tranny tailshaft (same for automatics).

My logic suggests that if you have a single rear motor mount (at the transmission tail shaft) then you'd want side mounts on the front. In other words you wouldn't want BOTH front & rear to be a single centered mount, that set-up wouldn't handle the torque thrust of the engine very well.

Or maybe the side motor mounts came to be with the introduction of the LA series engine, which I think was 1967 in the US and Canada following in 68.

Concerning the medium duty "big trucks", the big cab switch occurred in 74, but the rear mounts (yes there are 2) remained at the bellhousing & the front mounts (2) were on side of block. 74-77 Mediums have 4 mounts, not 3.

Bucky

Comment

My 67 D500 had the single mount in front with a 361 and bell housing mounts. My 68 D200 has the engine side mounts and bell housing mounts with the 383.
      1949 B-1 PW
      1950 B-2 PW
      1965 WM300
      1968 D200 camper special (W200 conversion)
      1970 Challenger RT 383
      1987 Ramcharger 4x4
      1991.5 W250 diesel
      1999 Jeep Cherokee limited 4x4
      2008 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

Comment

Remembering my 69 D100, it seems that they made major changes between 1968 and 1969 model year trucks so I would guess that was when they changed this as well. I had an issue with the piece that I believe was the shift rod, It always would lock up and I would have to get out and mess with it, and the guys with the 68 and earlier trucks that tried to help out discovered the difference between my truck and theirs. It was a completely different set up. I had that truck from June 2004 till I sold it in December 2008

Comment

Working...
        X