Delta Pa. Pole Barn Build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Delta Pa. Pole Barn Build

We had moved into a new home several months ago that had no garage and I needed a place to house my M37, the Silverado 4X4, Sandy's car, all of my tools and equipment as well as a place to work that was reasonably comfortable in winter. We settled on a 30'X40' CB Structures Inc. insulated pole barn with two overhead doors, an 8'X8' and a 12'X12'. 3 windows and a man door. Construction took 3 days to build the structure for 2 men and a boy age 12 all family, Dad, his son and a nephew who was the boy. Concrete floor another day and doors part of the last. I have created a slide show album with some of the pics taken of the process, some are redundant as I have not yet edited but you will get the idea of the fun I had that week.

Future plans are for 100amp 240V. electric service, a vehicle lift adjacent to the 12' door, that area of floor was placed 6" deep while the rest is 4", a wood stove will be used for heat as soon as I am able to move it from the old place to it's new location, we had over 100 trees removed to clear the land for house and barn construction, the logs in the background are just 1 of 3 piles so I have a lifetime of fuel.

Comments/questions welcomed, Carter

http://s109.photobucket.com/user/for...%20Barn%20Pics

I like it, and it looks great. The vibratory packing and plastic film is all good. You have to fight with some contractors to do those things.

Consider a 200 amp box for the little additional it would cost.
    Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

Comment

NICE! Thanks for posting. Can you give us a cost? I'm currently shopping options and can always use the input from folks that have recently completed one. Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by Gordon Maney View Post
        I like it, and it looks great. The vibratory packing and plastic film is all good. You have to fight with some contractors to do those things.

Consider a 200 amp box for the little additional it would cost.
        Thanks Gordon, I insisted on the poly film and some "Good Vibrations" although I know I paid for them but to have a quality job they are necessary. I would like to have a 200 amp feed but out here in the wilds of Delta the service we have in the house is only 250 and the barn is supplied from there and that's all the power company will allow in this rural setting. I think they carry the juice out here in buckets and pour it into the feeder lines. The guy that caries the watts must be a one legged fellow because we get them in a trickle.

Comment

Originally posted by CSCameron View Post
          NICE! Thanks for posting. Can you give us a cost? I'm currently shopping options and can always use the input from folks that have recently completed one. Thanks!
          A little over 35K but that is because of some of the extras like the band of white translucent material along the top of the walls that does brighten the interior a lot, the 6' of 4000 psi concrete for the lift added even more and the overall height of 14' to accommodate that 12' door was not cheap either, then there is the cost of insulation, extras added about 10K.

Comment

I did not realize it was translucent. Neat!
            Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

Comment

Gordon, I had never seen it done before but I thought it might help illuminate the interior and it is amazing how much light is transmitted, without it lights would be needed even in daylight but on a sunny day an with the reflective aluminum facing of the insulation bouncing the light around the building the interior is almost as bright as being in the shade of a large tree on a sunny day. I finally have the shop I have always wanted. :-)

Comment

Carter,
                That's a Nice building you put up.
                Will serve you well.
                TGP
                WDX & Misc. Pics.
                http://www.t137.com/cpg/index.php?cat=10010
                "47" Dodge WDX WW
                "52" Dodge M-37 WW
                "54" Willys M38A1
                "65" Kaiser M35A1 WW
                "77" Chev. K-30 400T,205,4.56 "No-Spin"
                "84" Chev, K-30 Cummins 6-BTA 400,205,3.73Locker
                "86" Chev, M1028A2 (K30) 6.2,400.205,4.56 Locker
                "99" Dodge Durango "Limited Slip"
                "99" Dodge 3500 CTD 4x4"No-Spin"

Comment

Originally posted by carter davidson View Post
                  A little over 35K but that is because of some of the extras like the band of white translucent material along the top of the walls that does brighten the interior a lot, the 6' of 4000 psi concrete for the lift added even more and the overall height of 14' to accommodate that 12' door was not cheap either, then there is the cost of insulation, extras added about 10K.
                  Very Nice! Thanks for sharing the details. Much appreciated.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Petroff View Post
                    Carter,
                    That's a Nice building you put up.
                    Will serve you well.
                    TGP
                    Thanks Tom, hope it will. Spent the day seal coating the conc. floor, once that dries the fun begins.

Comment

Working...
                    X