Garage Dog

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Garage Dog

I've been spending a lot more time in my garage lately and have been thinking about getting another dog for company. In 1985 my Dad bought me a chocolate lab as a surprise gift. I named her Micky and she turned out to be one of the best dogs I've ever had. Saw me through almost all of the restorations I've done without one complaint. When I was on a creeper, she was right by my side.

After spending time around Dave Brownlow's dog, I have been considering a rescue dog. When seeing the sad look on some of those guys-I'd take them all. Besides a lab, what other types could be considered? Mutts would be welcome.

This dog would have the best-kept inside, would be around other dogs and family members etc. I've had dogs all of my life and loved them all.

Regards,

Bill Garland

Only you know the kind of dog that appeals to you.

Alaskan Malamutes do it for me.

He's not supposed to have that valve cover gasket.

It reminds me of that quote, the more people I meet, the more I like my dog.

Attached Files
    Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

Comment

Originally posted by Bill Garland View Post
      I've been spending a lot more time in my garage lately and have been thinking about getting another dog for company. In 1985 my Dad bought me a chocolate lab as a surprise gift. I named her Micky and she turned out to be one of the best dogs I've ever had. Saw me through almost all of the restorations I've done without one complaint. When I was on a creeper, she was right by my side.

After spending time around Dave Brownlow's dog, I have been considering a rescue dog. When seeing the sad look on some of those guys-I'd take them all. Besides a lab, what other types could be considered? Mutts would be welcome.

This dog would have the best-kept inside, would be around other dogs and family members etc. I've had dogs all of my life and loved them all.

Regards,

Bill Garland
      It's the dog, not the breed. You're looking for a companion and probably not a hunter or a show dog. Go check out the rescue dogs and find one with a good personality. You'll both know your a good fit in a few minutes if you're paying attention. Besides dog's are smarter than us, they'll let you know.
      I have a soft spot for Heelers and Labs myself , but mutts are great too. Think about an older pooch too. They are especially hard to place. We just adopted an older shepherd setter mix and he's doing a great job of keeping the younger two in line.

Comment

What kind of Airhead do you have Gordon? looks like an R75/5?

Comment

That gasket was either from an R100 or an R69S. Probably R100RT. It looks too big for the 69S.

Comment

We have had great luck with labs.
            John

Comment

I would love to have my dog with me in the garage. I'm however worried that his hearing will be damaged due to the high level of noise, especially when I am grinding. What is your experience?

Comment

I agree, do not expose a dog to that kind of noise.

Also, you should wear hearing protection.

Comment

Mine hangs out with me in the shop pretty much all day. As long as its not pouring rain or bitter freezing I usually leave the doors open for circulation so he tends to wander off whenever I start doing something too noisy for his liking. His bed is also opposite side of the shop. I do have to yell at him sometimes I find him standing under my feet when the lathe or mill is running as he is biting at whatever coils of chips might be spining down off the machine.

5 year old Australian Cattled darg. Ie, Blue Heeler, Ie Mad Max dog. We don't have kids so this is my wife's baby. He is smarter than most people's kids anyways.

1942 WC53 Carryall in progress.

Comment

Originally posted by Alxj64 View Post
                    Mine hangs out with me in the shop pretty much all day. As long as its not pouring rain or bitter freezing I usually leave the doors open for circulation so he tends to wander off whenever I start doing something too noisy for his liking. His bed is also opposite side of the shop. I do have to yell at him sometimes I find him standing under my feet when the lathe or mill is running as he is biting at whatever coils of chips might be spining down off the machine.

5 year old Australian Cattled darg. Ie, Blue Heeler, Ie Mad Max dog. We don't have kids so this is my wife's baby. He is smarter than most people's kids anyways.
                    I am partial to Heelers myself. My previous dog was a Heeler and one of my present dogs is too. His Name is Frodo and his partner Samwise is a mostly lab mix. I got the heeler from someone who was moving to an apartment. And Samwise came from the shelter. They are both young dogs about a year old each and prone to mischief. They are always sporting scratches from pestering the barn cats. We got a call from the same shelter about an older dog that was orphaned when his elderly owner passed. His name is Drogo and I see no reason to change it. I don't know what it means but he answers to it and seems to have a calming effect on the younger two.

Comment

Originally posted by Alxj64 View Post

I am partial to Heelers myself. My previous dog was a Heeler and one of my present dogs is too. His Name is Frodo and his partner Samwise is a mostly lab mix. I got the heeler from someone who was moving to an apartment. And Samwise came from the shelter. They are both young dogs about a year old each and prone to mischief. They are always sporting scratches from pestering the barn cats. We got a call from the same shelter about an older dog that was orphaned when his elderly owner passed. His name is Drogo and I see no reason to change it. I don't know what it means but he answers to it and seems to have a calming effect on the younger two. And you're right about them being smart Alex.

Comment

The tilted one is funny.

Comment

Originally posted by Gordon Maney View Post
                          The tilted one is funny.
                          He seems to make a good Tilt-O-Meter...

CD
                          1949 B-1 PW (Gus)
                          1955 C-3 PW (Woodrow)
                          2001 Dodge 2500 (Dish...formerly Maney's Mopar)
                          1978 Suzuki GS1000EC (fulfills the need...the need for speed)
                          1954 Ford 860 tractor
                          1966 Chrysler LS 16 sailboat (as yet un-named)
                          UVA UVAM VIVENDO VARIA FITS

Comment

Originally posted by Gordon Maney View Post
                            The tilted one is funny.
                            He looks like he's diggin' it!

Comment

Did some googling for dog ear protections. Found some that were originally designed for pilot companions but they work for other types of noise pollution aswell. They are called Mutt Muffs, anyone have experience with them?

http://www.safeandsoundpets.com/index.html

We ordered a pair for our dog, will be interesting to see if they will manage to stay on his head. Was quite expensive over here, think we paid $120. I believe they are $55 in the states. Will take some photos and let you know how they work when we receive them.

Comment

Working...
                              X