X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seeds and the cycle of life

split from this thread:
    http://www.powerwagonadvertiser.com/...ad.php?t=14817

A little bit about my larger circumstances....

Freddy the Leaf, a little book by Leo Buscaglia, is a story about the cycle of life and death, and how death might not so much be an end, but rather an event serving as an integral part of the tapestry of a broader life process.

It is a story that makes sense to me, offering appeal at multiple levels, not the least of which is bound to my passion of trees and forestry. I have planted approximately 6,000 trees on 15 acres here over 35 years and have observed as many cycles of the seasons. The trees are beautiful in all seasons, just in different ways.

My yellow Power Wagon was a seed that gave birth to a broader life process; a living community of Dodge truck owners and enthusiasts. The July 2014 issue will mark the 30th anniversary. Some of you have been with me the entire time. I am proud to be associated with the Dodge ecosystem that has evolved. I have tried to be a tall, strong tree in that forest, providing shelter for those seeking haven and nourishment in what we have grown together.

The anniversary issue will be published and the Iowa rally will occur, I just don't know if I will be here for them; my leaf may have fallen by then. I spent all of 2012 puzzling over symptoms, pursuing a diagnosis — a goal that was never definitively reached. I suppose we could say I am being overcome by symptoms. I still have not given up, but in the larger context of being run over by a bulldozer, not giving up becomes an inconsequential detail.

The magazine and forums will continue. I have passed the torch to a sturdy, younger oak some time ago. We have been in transition for a while. I will be involved for as long as I can. It gives me purpose and focus.

All of my trucks are for sale; some have already sold, though I still have the yellow truck. It may be at the rally, but I won't own it by then. I have enjoyed the ideas presented here, however! Understand me when I say it is very hard to part with these trucks. I ache from it, but I have a lot of expenses now.

A way you could help is by writing articles for the magazine, and sending high-res photos.

I salute all of you who have joined me in building this community; I am eternally grateful for your loyalty and friendship. Live your life fully, and tell people what you want them to know — you may not always have the chance.
    Attached Files
    Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

Wow I am new to this community and the power wagon family. But I visit this forum everyday. I will be on my 4th magazine this next issue and read every word. I can already tell Gordon is a ' mighty oak' in this community and I am an extremely fortunate late comer to be a part of this experience. Truly appreciate your passion, all my best to you hope all goes well.

Comment

Words have always been easy for me, but now, somehow they aren't.

Since the day you first told me of your health struggle, I've held to the notion that you would get better. I've always believed that your body would heal.

I hesitate here, the temptation being to say that I’m sorry it hasn’t. But you and I have had that talk already. A bunch of I’m sorrys don’t add up to much hope.

I want to give you a measure of hope and, before the day is out, I will. You are a good friend and I'm not ready for your leaf to fall.

Comment

Hello Gordon,

I am truly sorry to hear of your health issues. Although we have never met, I feel that we have bonded through the world of Power Wagons. I look forward to each and every issue of the magazine and your work is very much appreciated.

I hope you get well soon!

Clark

Comment

I am very saddened to hear about your health issues. My wife and I will have you on our prayer list. After all, there is a higher power who has a say in these things. So, we will just keep praying for you.
          Jeff

Comment

Gordon,

It saddens me deeply to here that your condition has not improved. I know I have been greatly blessed by knowing you and reading your work. This site and the PWA have been great, and I look forward to continuing to contribute to your great work.

I will continue to keep you in our prayers, God Bless.
            Will
            I drive a DODGE, not a ram!

Thanks,
            Will
            WAWII.com

1946 WDX Power Wagon - "Missouri Mule"
            1953 M37 - "Frankenstein"
            1993 Jeep YJ - "Will Power"
            1984 Dodge Ramcharger - "2014 Ramcharger"
            2006 3500 DRW 4WD Mega Cab - "Power Wagon Hauler"

Comment

Yes, Will, please.... continue your work on that article!!!

Comment

As I said to you yesterday, I appreciate this rare opportunity to celebrate our comradeship over these many years. Though we have never met in person I feel that we have forged a strong friendship . You have been a warm, gracious and tolerant host. We shall all miss your stewardship.

Bob T.

Comment

Sorry to hear about your problems I have been on the forum for about 10 years and on and off subscriber to the magazine when I had the extra money. I and others have learned a lot here I guess we are like your seedlings and have grown our trucks with you guidance
                  Thanks you Ed

Comment

Gordon, I said something similar elsewhere, but it bears repeating.

Gordon, thank you for who you are and what you have done.

Your love of Power Wagons and the community you have helped shape, means a lot to me - even though I currently don't own one.

I also thank you for being an eloquent writer. Your writing has inspired me and encouraged me to take the step at 47 and decide to write again. Now 3 years later I do so every day and actually derive a little bit of money from it(!!). Even so, before I made money doing writing, you inspired me so that I could say "I am a writer".

Mostly I thank you for choosing to be who you are. Even though we seemingly differ in opinion about the nature of why we are here on Earth, you have opened my eyes about what it truly means to be a "good man" and in doing so have really changed how I view others. I am no longer content merely looking at differences, but now prefer to see commonalities. Thank you for choosing to be good. Unknowingly you have mentored me.

Like Kevin, I choose to not see this as an ending. I'm not ready to see your leaf fall. I think I'll think of you more as a sugar maple that is having a rough season, but that you having many more years of sap flow left in you.

Lastly, I'm a praying man. I won't pray for peace in your heart though. It seems like you already have it. I'll pray for peace for the rest of us, so that we can hold up through your challenges while your body rights itself.

Comment

Originally posted by Gordon Maney View Post
                      split from this thread:
                      http://www.powerwagonadvertiser.com/...ad.php?t=14817

A little bit about my larger circumstances....

Freddy the Leaf, a little book by Leo Buscaglia, is a story about the cycle of life and death, and how death might not so much be an end, but rather an event serving as an integral part of the tapestry of a broader life process.

It is a story that makes sense to me, offering appeal at multiple levels, not the least of which is bound to my passion of trees and forestry. I have planted approximately 6,000 trees on 15 acres here over 35 years and have observed as many cycles of the seasons. The trees are beautiful in all seasons, just in different ways.

I salute all of you who have joined me in building this community; I am eternally grateful for your loyalty and friendship. Live your life fully, and tell people what you want them to know — you may not always have the chance.
                      Last night I re-read my copy of this simple little book. It was a gift on the occasion of my father's passing, 8 years ago next month.

In June of 2008, I traveled to Connecticut for the wedding of our daughter. As is the norm when I travel cross-country, I was hauling loads both ways. On this particular trip, my truck suffered two catastrophic transmission failures, one on the Eastern leg in Ohio, and another on the way back West.

On the Western leg, our route took us through Cedar Rapids, Iowa. Cedar Rapids had just been ravaged by severe flooding, as was most of Iowa at that time. As luck would have it, we was fortunate enough to land in a little place called Norway. If we could make it, we were told, we would have a place to stay and rest up. It wasn't easy getting there as almost all the roads were flooded or bridges deemed unsafe.

After a day or two of generous hospitality and tours of the heavily wooded grounds , we headed back on the road. That is when the transmission shot craps the second time.

We were invited back to the Norway sanctuary, for we were truly in need. The tranny needed replaced. For the next week, we were afforded a fully stocked work space, food, shelter and stimulating conversation well into the nights. We made tours of the devastation in and around the Cedar Rapids area. Many, many people were in far worse conditions than I can describe here. There was still no power for street lights or traffic signals. There were boats and houses in the streets! Personal possessions, cars, appliances, insulation and drywall lined the streets like windrows. At night, we felt fortunate to be sitting high-and-dry, up on that tree covered hill outside of Norway.

A transmission shop was recommended and visited, and a deal was struck. A truck was made available so we could get around and conduct the business necessary to get us back on the road again. Help and advice were in steady supply for the asking, sometimes without asking.

And then, there were all of those trucks, each with a story, each with a plan, squirreled away in an array of out-buildings...and all those beautiful trees.

Thank you, Gordon, for the book, for your friendship, for all you have done and continue to do for all of us.

Dave
                      1949 B-1 PW (Gus)
                      1955 C-3 PW (Woodrow)
                      2001 Dodge 2500 (Dish...formerly Maney's Mopar)
                      1978 Suzuki GS1000EC (fulfills the need...the need for speed)
                      1954 Ford 860 tractor
                      1966 Chrysler LS 16 sailboat (as yet un-named)
                      UVA UVAM VIVENDO VARIA FITS

Comment

It is has been said many times before, but we find out who our friends really are when we're faced with adversity.
                        The story you shared says a lot about the type of man Gordon is.

Comment

Good evening Gordon

I was just checking the site before going to bed. The day starts at 5:15 a.m. tomorrow. Your thread hit me like a ton of bricks as I was far from expecting this. There's so many things I'd like to tell you, while, at the same time, not knowing for sure what would be fit to say. But let me tell you, Gordon Maney, that your wisdom and passion for the trucks we love has reached all the way to the Gatineau hills of the province of Québec, Canada, where I live. And that you will be in my prayers from now on. Daniel

Comment

Thank you. Post anything you wish.

Comment

I'll tell you this anyway

We have a new operator plowing our driveway this winter. He noticed my M37 under tarps and has seen the Jeep in the garage. He's been talking about his cousin, a garage owner, probably not 5 km from my place. The gentleman owns two experimental 6 X 6 amphibian Dodge trucks. I'm told only five have been made. A meeting will be arranged as soon as the snow melts. I intend to bring my camera and write something about it. Oh! By the way, the owner races at Bonneville in a 1960's Studebaker he fitted with a HEMI engine. To say I'm looking forward to this meeting is an understatement.

Yesterday, I pulled my July 2010 copy of the PWA and I read again Jim Anderson's story of a HEMI conversion in a 1951 B3PW...

Comment

Working...
                              X