Odd question on Tobacciana

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Odd question on Tobacciana

I have just run across several pieces of tobacco related advertising devices from the late 1800's and the early 1900's . Several variations on the cigar trimmer, these have a brand of cigar on them and are meant to be counter or wall mounted. The other items appear to be plug or leaf cutters and are meant to be wall mounted.

I never picked up the cigarette habit myself, for which I am extremely grateful. I have smoked a couple Cohibas and for a while I would smoke a Tiparillo when it suited me. I always kept a couple dog rockets handy for any situation dealing with dead bodies. That was the limit of my dalliance with tobacco.

My question is for those of you that may know more about old point of sale advertising items such as described above. To wit, does anyone here know of an appraiser or collector that can help me evaluate these items?

Thanks.

Look on ebay?
    Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

Comment

Originally posted by Gordon Maney View Post
      Look on ebay?
      I did in fact look on Ebay but only found similar items. Also I'm looking for a bit more info than their intrinsic value. Although I have been surprised by the values for these items my web searching has found so far. They are much higher than I expected given the present attitude regarding tobacco.
      I have been able to glean some info. from the web on the mfg's and cigar companies.
      I just thought perhaps with the diverse nature of interests present, that possibly someone here would be knowledgeable on the subject. It's certainly worth a shot.

Comment

The Antiques Road Show will be in Santa Clara on 7 Jun 14.
        If your looking for a little road trip it can be done in 5.5 hrs.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/roadshow/cit...ara_event.html

Comment

Thank you sir, but I'll have to pass on that little excursion. I don't cope with crowds or long queues very well these days. I can only imagine what the noise level must be. Something akin to a poultry barn I would have to guess.
          They have "Cigar Bars" in L.A. so I'll inquire of one of them.
          I'm basically trying to help a friend of my wife. She is suffering from bone cancer and wants to simplify her suroundings by getting rid of things she can't use. She had all these things in her garage, her husband collected them before his death and they haven't seen the light of day in years.
          A bit of poking around on the web has confirmed that they are worth more than the hundred bucks for the box full that she had them tagged for. Since then she's had a couple guys come back wanting to give her the hundred bucks.
          I have found a couple of the plug cutters on line that retail in the $350.00 range each. They appear to be in a comensurate condition.
          Time will tell.

Comment

Your welcome.

Comment

Working...
            X