composite I-beams

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• composite I-beams

Has anyone here used composite (non-wood) I-beams as floor joists? I have to install a sub-floor over a concrete slab. I'm not a fan of sunken living rooms.
    and termites are a problem around here.

I have no experience with the composite beams and we don't have termites where I live but what about OWSJ ( open web steel joist)?

Comment

Concerning use of wood in building construction, I recently saw something that I hadn't heard of before. The coating of wood with roofing tar. It made the structure virtually bug proof, airtight & watertight as well.

Of course the building was an addition to a roofing company & they had access to everything & did it all themselves.

I can't see why composite I-beams wouldn't work either.

Bucky

Comment

When we built our new office, the plans called for "microlam" beams for the open (cathedral-like) ceiling areas to carry the roof loads. These were engineered wood product beams. A structural engineer advised on the sizes needed. That was 17 years ago and so far no problems.

Comment

try Google, composit I-beam

Found the company "Axion" in Ohio making all sorts of structural items.

If I understand, the sunken area is slab on grade? Knock some drain holes in the existing floor, fill it in and pour a 3" over it? What is the surrounding area, slab or a raised platform?

One other thing beside termites is moisture, if the area going to be sealed will there be a need to ventilate it? Do you plan to have access to it for inspection?

Random thoughts, nice idea I hadn't thought about.
          Thanks,
          DrPepper

Comment

Originally posted by gyman98 View Post
            I have no experience with the composite beams and we don't have termites where I live but what about OWSJ ( open web steel joist)?
            I hadn't considered the owsj. That's technology I understand and considerably more affordable than plastic or fiberglass.
            I imagine Simpson makes a product to anchor them to the surrounding foundation. I will be investigating that avenue. Thanks for the idea Gyman.

Comment

Originally posted by DrPepper View Post
              Found the company "Axion" in Ohio making all sorts of structural items.

If I understand, the sunken area is slab on grade? Knock some drain holes in the existing floor, fill it in and pour a 3" over it? What is the surrounding area, slab or a raised platform?

One other thing beside termites is moisture, if the area going to be sealed will there be a need to ventilate it? Do you plan to have access to it for inspection?

Random thoughts, nice idea I hadn't thought about.
              Thanks,
              DrPepper
              I checked a place in San Diego that has both Comp. and Fiberglass product but they are way to expensive for my application. There will be no inspection possible after the floor is installed unless it's by fiber optics. There will be ventilation though the slab is surrounded by foundation on four sides.
              Thanks for the suggestions guys.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Thompson View Post
                I hadn't considered the owsj. That's technology I understand and considerably more affordable than plastic or fiberglass.
                I imagine Simpson makes a product to anchor them to the surrounding foundation. I will be investigating that avenue. Thanks for the idea Gyman.
                Simpson likely does. Some OWSJ have anchor holes for wedge anchors. We've also laid a angle iron lapped over the top, bolted on and field welded. If height is a concern it can be bolted on the side flush with the top

Comment

Working...
                X