Serendipity

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Serendipity

Have you ever worked all day Friday thinking it was Thursday?
    Or perhaps found a folded twenty dollar bill with a few ones to keep it company in an inside jacket pocket you haven't worn since it started to warm up outside.
    Well that's precisely what I experienced as I was going through the mail in my inbox yesterday. Sitting under a large manila envelope I found the April edition of the PWA.
    I remember its arrival which was notable because the seals were intact. This is a rarity and should not go unremarked upon.
    It somehow managed to slip below the radar and evaded detection, just waiting for me to have a spare moment.
    I must confess to a certain amount of childlike glee upon its discovery.

For this is indeed the nature of serendipity.

That's an example of the Efficient-market hypothesis..

Once something is known (information), it is immediately acted upon (market reaction).

Bucky

Comment

A few short years ago, my friend Floyd was injured in a tractor accident and died a few days later.

Sometime last fall, his daughter gave me a pair of his old, patched coveralls. All though a few decades different in age, we were similar in physical size. It was nice to have a wearable reminder of my friend.

A couple weeks ago, I finally decided I had a project that seemed just right for Floyd's coveralls. So I suited up and headed for the shop. On the way, as it was early morning, it seemed like a quick stop at McD's for a cup-of- coffee-to-go was in order.

After I ordered, I realized I had no cash on me. In a panic, I started rifling through my pockets and there, in the right breast pocket of Floyd's coveralls, was a neatly folded dollar bill, a nickel and a penny.

My tab for the small coffee, was $1.06. It left me with a smile all day, the thought Floyd had managed to buy me a cup, even after he had passed on.

Pretty neat trick on his part...

CD
      1949 B-1 PW (Gus)
      1955 C-3 PW (Woodrow)
      2001 Dodge 2500 (Dish...formerly Maney's Mopar)
      1978 Suzuki GS1000EC (fulfills the need...the need for speed)
      1954 Ford 860 tractor
      1966 Chrysler LS 16 sailboat (as yet un-named)
      UVA UVAM VIVENDO VARIA FITS

Comment

Pretty neat story there DB.

I still find little notes scribbled by pencil that my Dad made--it's been 15 years since he has passed.

Will be calling you soon

BG

Comment

Originally posted by Cheyenne Dave View Post
          A few short years ago, my friend Floyd was injured in a tractor accident and died a few days later.

Sometime last fall, his daughter gave me a pair of his old, patched coveralls. All though a few decades different in age, we were similar in physical size. It was nice to have a wearable reminder of my friend.

A couple weeks ago, I finally decided I had a project that seemed just right for Floyd's coveralls. So I suited up and headed for the shop. On the way, as it was early morning, it seemed like a quick stop at McD's for a cup-of- coffee-to-go was in order.

After I ordered, I realized I had no cash on me. In a panic, I started rifling through my pockets and there, in the right breast pocket of Floyd's coveralls, was a neatly folded dollar bill, a nickel and a penny.

My tab for the small coffee, was $1.06. It left me with a smile all day, the thought Floyd had managed to buy me a cup, even after he had passed on.

Pretty neat trick on his part...

CD
          That's a great story Dave. Well within the definition.

Comment

All I needed was a duly appointed cheese straightener to encourage me.

cd
            1949 B-1 PW (Gus)
            1955 C-3 PW (Woodrow)
            1954 Ford 860 tractor

Comment

Originally posted by Cheyenne Dave View Post
              All I needed was a duly appointed cheese straightener to encourage me.

cd
              Hey! That's Executive Cheese Straightener, thank you.:-D

Comment

Well...I didn't want to muddy the waters with rank. I actually thought ALL cheese straighteners were executive-by-definition.

cd
                1949 B-1 PW (Gus)
                1955 C-3 PW (Woodrow)
                1954 Ford 860 tractor

Comment

Please.....Need to know the definition and job duties of an Executive Cheese Straightener. Don't know if we have them here on the East Coast.

Comment

Originally posted by grover26 View Post
                    Please.....Need to know the definition and job duties of an Executive Cheese Straightener. Don't know if we have them here on the East Coast.
                    Actually the duties are much the same as a regular Cheese Straightener but with a nicer office and more priveleges.
                    I can say no more due to proprietary concerns.

Comment

..and THAT is precisely why we read here...

Comment

Originally posted by MoparNorm View Post
                        ..and THAT is precisely why we read here...
                        Well Norm, Someone has to take up the "Drivel" slack.

When ya comin' back Red Rider?

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Thompson View Post
                          That's a great story Dave. Well within the definition.
                          Another season of windmill service was mostly put to bed this weekend, and Floyd's coveralls are still on the job. Just one mill waiting for parts and I should be done, for awhile anyway.

CD
                          Attached Files
                          1949 B-1 PW (Gus)
                          1955 C-3 PW (Woodrow)
                          1954 Ford 860 tractor

Comment

Thats a great story Dave.
                            You are a man of many talents - Power Wagons, windmill repair and writing!

Comment

It has been a fine way of avoiding a life-time of executive cheese straightening duties, and to a great extent, keeps me out of trouble.

Windmills are fun, and remind us that whatever the wind, you can always count on gravity.

cd
                              1949 B-1 PW (Gus)
                              1955 C-3 PW (Woodrow)
                              1954 Ford 860 tractor

Comment

Working...
                              X