Passing of the torch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Passing of the torch

Life has a strange way of putting you in the lives of people for reasons that we will never understand. Take my life for example, many of you know me and some of you know me very well. So let me share a little about me.
    In the past two months, I have lost my grandmother. Patty was a symbol of safety in my life. Her and my Grandfather whom passed when I was 8 years old had the most amazing farm where I learned so very much.
    On the 27th day of April the hardest day of my life to this point occurred. My girlfriend Pam was home mowing the yard when Mother Nature struck. Our small acreage was hit by a tornado, I have had to accept the fact that no matter what I couldn't have saved her. She hung on for two days in the hospital while I knelt at her side praying for god to trade places with her.
    Through these two events there was one person who was there with me, maybe not standing by my side. But I felt his hand on my shoulder. I could hear Gordon saying to me it will get easier. His voice calmed me, his smile and the tears in his eyes let me know I was not alone.
    This past rally was one of the hardest events I have ever been a part of. All the while I was getting text messages asking how I was holding up? Have you got any Ketchup on your shirt today? And I will never forget him saying
    "You are surrounded by people that love you, lean on them".
    When Gordon passed away I could hardly bear the news. He and I had become so very close in the past sharing everything with each other. Our trials, our tribulations, and our "train wrecks." As he so often called the low spots in life.
    As the day went on I thought about so many days we shared a coca cola, in a glass bottle not a plastic one, and not out of a can. We discussed life, the future, and what was to become of things. Gordon's legacy is one that will never stop, never slow down but continue to grow. When he asked me to take over the Advertiser when the time came, I said I would be honored. Knowing that even my size fifteen work boots would have a hard time filling those shoes on a good day.
    I never expected the day to happen so soon, I would not have thought that my life would be at this point today. Nothing I could have done could change any of it, I couldn't rebuild it, I couldn't adjust or fine tune it. I just have to go with it.
    So as I am currently starting a restoration on my life I will need help, I will need friendship, I will need advise. I will need my Power Wagon family and that is all of you! So feel free to contact me anytime, anyplace, anywhere. The Power Wagon Advertiser will continue, we will shift gears wipe our tears, share our stories and continue the legacy that is so amazingly beautiful !

Matthew Welcher 641-919-0663
    1946wdxmatt@gmail.com
    1967 W200.aka.Hank
    1946 WDX.aka.Shorty
    2012 Ram 2500 PowerWagon.aka Ollie

Life is easier in a lower gear.

Nice to meet you, Matthew

I'm searching for the right words to write after reading your introduction. Gordon definitely picked a man of heart to continue the tradition. Well, welcome and I hope to be able to shake your hand someday. Daniel

Comment

The legacy will live on

Matt, you have indeed had your share of heartache this year. There is a plan for every thing that happens to all of us, I truly believe this. Remember God never gives more than we can handle. Gordon saw in you what he needed for his beloved magazine to continue. As I told you the day we got the news you will need help. I know I will do what I can to that end. I hope others in the Dodge family will do the same by contributing stories and articles to fill the pages of the PWA. It's not an easy task as you've already discovered to get even a small publication like the Advertiser published each month. You will succeed with Gordon's hand on your shoulder guiding you. It will be a bit rocky at times but let me share this.
      In 1974 I went to work with my dad in our family construction business. We worked side by side everyday. I was always trying to be one step ahead of him anticipating the next move. Sometimes I did , sometimes I didn't do what he wanted. In 1988 my dad died of cancer at the age of 56. My world changed suddenly. I was 32 years old and was now the head of the company. At first I felt like every one wanted to play "Let's see what the kid is made of ". My mother owned the company and wanted to sell it. I made a promise to my dad to take care of my mom and the company. I did for 22 years the best I knew how. I always felt my dad watching as we worked on job after job. If I got stuck I'd ask "What would Dad do?" When you get stuck Matt, just ask "What would Gordon do?" He will provide the answer.

I wish you all the best in your new position. For anyone who reads this please send in your stories or articles about your truck or exploits getting one. Tell it like you're at a rally or telling a friend, just write it down. Like Gordon would say even if it's on a grocery sack send it in. We can help the legacy live on but we all need to chip in to help Matt. Yes Matt you have bid shoes to fill just like I did. It gets easier as you settle in. God bless you for accepting the challenge.

Comment

Matt, it's nice to meet you. I'm so sorry to hear of all the sadness you've encountered recently. My thoughts and prayers go out for you. What a nice tribute you made for Gordon with your thoughtful words. We will all do what we can to help you share the load, and we look forward to getting to know you better.

Comment

New Article

Matt,
          My wife & I picked up my truck a 1966 WM300 from Dan Mininger on June 14th and drove it home from Girard, PA to Onalaska, Texas, 1565 miles in 5-days.

I was asked by Dan if we were interested in doing an article on our trip, while I am not a writer by any stretch, I have asked my wife if she was interested, Lo and behold she agreed.

I need to know where to send the article when its done along with photographs.

The trip was great, my wife thoroughly enjoyed the adventure transfer case whine and all.

Regards,
          Bob Hunt21149@hotmail.com

Comment

Bob, I will have all the details on that worked out this weekend. Thank you all so very much and Enjoy your truck! It sounds like an amazing adventure!
            1967 W200.aka.Hank
            1946 WDX.aka.Shorty
            2012 Ram 2500 PowerWagon.aka Ollie

Life is easier in a lower gear.

Comment

Welcome aboard Matthew. From what I've read, Gordon picked a good guy to
              carry the torch.
              John

Comment

Say John we don't see enough Sweptline articles in the PWA. Suppose you could do something about that?

Comment

Hi Matt, I can assure you that you are among friends and fellow travelers.
                  I think Gordon saw something in you that chimed with his own approach to life. And Frankly if Gordon says you're okay, that's fine by me. You couldn't ask for a better endorsement.
                  It is fitting that you have been chosen to make sure his legacy is preserved. He told me it was one of his principle concerns when we spoke. He was very pleased that people were renewing for multiple years and took it as a sign of a their faith in in his magazine and by extension in him. He was also buoyed by the number of young people who are dedicated to his beloved trucks.
                  I sincerely hope that editing and publishing the PWA will help you through your troubles. Remember that we are all here to help.

Bob Thompson

Comment

Originally posted by Ron in Indiana View Post
                    Say John we don't see enough Sweptline articles in the PWA. Suppose you could do something about that?
                    Ron,
                    My board nickname might tip you off as to my mechanical skill level....
                    but perhaps something from the lighter side ?....
                    John

Comment

John it's just like singing in church, the Lord only asks for a joyful NOISE. lol. I'm sure you have some stories on how you came into your Swepts it doesn't have to be a technical piece.

Comment

I would really like to see one page a month dedicated to pictures of various trucks of any vintage from 1917 Dodge Brothers up to the present, and yes John, I know you have several trucks, it would be interesting for you to maybe write about how you bought them or maybe how you did what you did to them.
                        By the way do you still have that early 1990's white D250?
                        TommyDodge

Comment

Originally posted by TommyDodge View Post
                          I would really like to see one page a month dedicated to pictures of various trucks of any vintage from 1917 Dodge Brothers up to the present, and yes John, I know you have several trucks, it would be interesting for you to maybe write about how you bought them or maybe how you did what you did to them.
                          By the way do you still have that early 1990's white D250?
                          TommyDodge
                          Tom,
                          I sold that truck a couple years ago.... It was a '92 W250 and only had 45K on it.
                          It had a LA360 with a 5spd manual OD tranny and a 4.10 Sure Grip....
                          I picked up a '97 W1500 club cab out of Lebanon, IN shortly afterward. My wife
                          has kind of "adopted" it for her side business [gardening/landscaping].

Anyhow.....getting back to Matt's thread and related matters....
                          As far as articles go.... I'll see what I might be able to crank out in the coming
                          months.... We've been double swamped at work and there's not much left of
                          me when I walk in the door at night...
                          John
                          Attached Files

Comment

At the risk of being labelled «biased»*

Originally posted by Hobcobble View Post
                            Tom,
                            I sold that truck a couple years ago.... It was a '92 W250 and only had 45K on it.
                            It had a LA360 with a 5spd manual OD tranny and a 4.10 Sure Grip....
                            I picked up a '97 W1500 club cab out of Lebanon, IN shortly afterward. My wife
                            has kind of "adopted" it for her side business [gardening/landscaping].

Anyhow.....getting back to Matt's thread and related matters....
                            As far as articles go.... I'll see what I might be able to crank out in the coming
                            months.... We've been double swamped at work and there's not much left of
                            me when I walk in the door at night...
                            John
                            What a good looking truck, Hobcobble. No wonder your wife picked it up. Daniel
                            *But after all, isn't it why we are on this site?

Comment

Matt,

As you know life is and unpredictable journey with each of us traveling a different path. Yours has clearly hit some rough patches as you make your way. However, you have a great many friends and supporters that are here to help support you, and provide guidance as needed.

When one of us looses the ones closest to us, we sometimes withdraw and close our selves to our surroundings. While this is good for short times of reflection, it is not good for ones sole and life. We are here to be your friends and supporters. Use us, we are happy to help in any way we can.

Gordon selected you based on many criteria, your love and passion for all things not only Dodge Trucks along with your talents are why you are now at the helm. You are not only walking your life path, but also helping guide others through theirs through the Power Wagon Advertiser Magazine and WEB Site.

We are here for you, lets us help as we can, and when you need.

God Bless,
                              Will

PS: How in the world did you keep your passion for the chevelle out of Gordon's radar in making this selection? :-)
                              I drive a DODGE, not a ram!

Thanks,
                              Will
                              WAWII.com

1946 WDX Power Wagon - "Missouri Mule"
                              1953 M37 - "Frankenstein"
                              1993 Jeep YJ - "Will Power"
                              1984 Dodge Ramcharger - "2014 Ramcharger"
                              2006 3500 DRW 4WD Mega Cab - "Power Wagon Hauler"

Comment

Working...
                              X