On The Tailgate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• On The Tailgate

From the limited correspondence I’ve had with Gordon I could tell that he was a fair and wise man. As I have yet to have a subscription to Power Wagon Advertiser, I’ve deprived my self of much of the knowledge he was so willing to share.

From what I can gather, On The Tailgate was a column where Gordon talked about life. Like Gordon I have a thirst for knowledge and insight.

I think, that having a weekly post of On The Tailgate (#1 - ??) on this message board would not only be a fitting tribute to the man who started this great community, but also for people like my self who have not read his writings.

That's a Great Idea!

Only problem is then nobody will pay the Subscription fee.

I'm sure that won't be good.

Look for some back issues some might be selling.

TGP
    WDX & Misc. Pics.
    http://www.t137.com/cpg/index.php?cat=10010
    "47" Dodge WDX WW
    "52" Dodge M-37 WW
    "54" Willys M38A1
    "65" Kaiser M35A1 WW
    "77" Chev. K-30 400T,205,4.56 "No-Spin"
    "84" Chev, K-30 Cummins 6-BTA 400,205,3.73Locker
    "86" Chev, M1028A2 (K30) 6.2,400.205,4.56 Locker
    "99" Dodge Durango "Limited Slip"
    "99" Dodge 3500 CTD 4x4"No-Spin"

Comment

I was referring to past articles that were published starting with #1.
      I don't see how that would be detrimental to future subscription sales.
      It may even help them.

Comment

It does sound reasonable that premium forum users might enjoy that perk.
        I don't presume to know why QJ doesn't subscribe to the magazine but chooses to pay for access to the forum's restricted sections.
        I am aware that some eschew printed matter on environmental grounds. The last time I went to a fast food joint they printed a receipt that must have used half a deciduous forest,it struck me as wasteful.
        Budget may be an issue for some others.
        I personally would like to see a compilation of the "Tailgate" pieces. Gordon didn't think he could be objective enough to pick the best of them and couldn't bring himself to farm it out. I suggested Kevin as an editor for that project but nothing ever came of it.
        I just re-read one about Ken Marsh. Everyone should know a Ken at least once in their lives.
        It is possible that Mathew may be up to the task once he establishes his control and vision for where the PWA is going. Who knows, perhaps an on-line version of the magazine like TDR's.
        I suppose we should let him find his pace before we deluge him with suggestions though. It must be a daunting task to take on the responsibilities of managing an iconic legacy such as the PWA and still put your own mark on it. It won't and shouldn't be the same. Everyone has their own way of approaching a project and I'm sure Mathew has his own notions.
        Life without change is atrophy.

Comment

I truly appreciate any and all suggestions. I currently am writing down several different ones that I have received. I cannot begin to describe the many different directions that my mind going. I would say it is out of control, but that would insinuate that I had control over it in the first place. Please by all means contact me with any ideas, and of course stories and pictures of all of your beautiful trucks!
          1967 W200.aka.Hank
          1946 WDX.aka.Shorty
          2012 Ram 2500 PowerWagon.aka Ollie

Life is easier in a lower gear.

Comment

I think they could reach beyond our community if they were compiled and published in book form. I don't think you have to have a tailgate to appreciate the view Gordon had from his. Jim

Comment

The idea of a book of Gordon's musings from the tailgate, even if it was "the best of" I believe, would be a good seller within the power wagon community.
              In my line of work, there was a man who did a cartoon for the monthly magazine I received for many years. He was very popular as the cartoons were witty and very much appropriate for the business.
              He eventually published "The Best of _" which has become a classic, sort of like the Best of the Far Side.
              In a similar way, with Gordon's insight, wit and great way with prose, I think a similar book would also be a success as well as be a tribute to Gordon the author.

Comment

I want to chime in here:

For me, Gordon also provided the magazine with advice, suggestions, comments and one-liners that show the depth, insight, and caring that he felt was relevant to the situation at hand. Such may also give a further reflection of who he was and how his showing up fully has contributed to all of our lives.

Comment

Originally posted by Doc Dave View Post
                  The idea of a book of Gordon's musings from the tailgate, even if it was "the best of" I believe, would be a good seller within the power wagon community.
                  In my line of work, there was a man who did a cartoon for the monthly magazine I received for many years. He was very popular as the cartoons were witty and very much appropriate for the business.
                  He eventually published "The Best of _" which has become a classic, sort of like the Best of the Far Side.
                  In a similar way, with Gordon's insight, wit and great way with prose, I think a similar book would also be a success as well as be a tribute to Gordon the author.
                  I really like your idea Doc. Perhaps the publication of such a book could help Carol with expenses.

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin Mienke View Post
                    I really like your idea Doc. Perhaps the publication of such a book could help Carol with expenses.
                    I like the idea, and had not thought of it.
                    Perhaps it could be titled "Musings, and Thoughts of Gordon"

Comment

At one time Gordon did this. And deep in the Power Wagon Advertiser Archives they have been found. This magazine he titled Tailgate Chains. Copies are available if there would be interest in having them reprinted. I have read it several times in the last few days.
                      1967 W200.aka.Hank
                      1946 WDX.aka.Shorty

Comment

Originally posted by Iowanogre View Post
                        At one time Gordon did this. And deep in the Power Wagon Advertiser Archives they have been found. This magazine he titled Tailgate Chains. Copies are available if there would be interest in having them reprinted. I have read it several times in the last few days.
                        There is interest.

Comment

Originally posted by Iowanogre View Post
                          How many pre-orders will it take to make that happen? Count me in. I can send funds to cover it once I know the price per copy.

Comment

Whoever may be interested in this e mail me at b1pw1948@earthlink.net
                            I will get to work on the details of having it done tomorrow. Thank you all.
                            Matthew
                            1967 W200.aka.Hank
                            1946 WDX.aka.Shorty

Comment

Count me in

Comment

Working...
                              X