No announcement yet.

New Mechanic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I see it in the engineers we get here sometimes, to me the difference between a mechanic and a technician is the why of it. A mechanic replaces the broken part, the technician figures out why it broke. I see a lot of engineers that don't ask the why question enough, you can't really fix something you don't understand. But while you can learn some of the tricks, you can't teach curiosity.

The computer controls on a modern vehicle can make life far easier, but they're only useful if you know what that data means and how the system that data is feeding you works. A lean O2 sensor just points you in a direction, determining if it's the cause or just a symptom is the difference between a modern mechanic and technician, at least to me. I only went into engineering because I also wanted to know how the O2 sensor worked, and all the other parts, but I much prefer wrenching on the parts to doing the calculations to design those parts.

Comment

Originally posted by Desoto61 View Post
      I see it in the engineers we get here sometimes, to me the difference between a mechanic and a technician is the why of it. A mechanic replaces the broken part, the technician figures out why it broke. I see a lot of engineers that don't ask the why question enough, you can't really fix something you don't understand. But while you can learn some of the tricks, you can't teach curiosity.

The computer controls on a modern vehicle can make life far easier, but they're only useful if you know what that data means and how the system that data is feeding you works. A lean O2 sensor just points you in a direction, determining if it's the cause or just a symptom is the difference between a modern mechanic and technician, at least to me. I only went into engineering because I also wanted to know how the O2 sensor worked, and all the other parts, but I much prefer wrenching on the parts to doing the calculations to design those parts.
      Both words "Technician and Engineer" have had their meanings corrupted by people looking to make a menial job sound more important or attractive, i.e. "Maintenance Engr. = Janitor" or "French fry Technician = deep fryer operator"
      I don't mean to belittle janitors or fry cooks, but it is ludicrous to append such a title. Of course "mechanic" is in the same league as "Game show host" with many people because of unscroupulous and poorly trained operators.
      An older neighbor took her 68' Buick in to a shop and they charged her $45.00 for computer diagnostics and then gave her an estimate for $300.00 for repairs. All I needed to do was adjust her carb , replace her air cleaner and bump her timing back to spec. I went up to the shop and asked them to show me the obd port on the car , Then I collected her $45.00 check and returned it to her. At least she had the good sense to know she had been bilked.
      As for the "why" question, it's always the first question I ask. Alas sometimes I don't have time to compare data and determine a failure curve. For me that's the fun part of the job, it's like solving a puzzle and when you're done you get to hear it go Vroom!

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Thompson View Post
        Both words "Technician and Engineer" have had their meanings corrupted by people looking to make a menial job sound more important or attractive, i.e. "Maintenance Engr. = Janitor" or "French fry Technician = deep fryer operator"
        I don't mean to belittle janitors or fry cooks, but it is ludicrous to append such a title. Of course "mechanic" is in the same league as "Game show host" with many people because of unscrupulous and poorly trained operators.
        An older neighbor took her 68' Buick in to a shop and they charged her $45.00 for computer diagnostics and then gave her an estimate for $300.00 for repairs. All I needed to do was adjust her carb , replace her air cleaner and bump her timing back to spec. I went up to the shop and asked them to show me the obd port on the car , Then I collected her $45.00 check and returned it to her. At least she had the good sense to know she had been bilked.
        As for the "why" question, it's always the first question I ask. Alas sometimes I don't have time to compare data and determine a failure curve. For me that's the fun part of the job, it's like solving a puzzle and when you're done you get to hear it go Vroom!
        I had a similar problem with the Dodge dealer where my wife takes our truck for service, wife got the oil, filter, air cleaner changed and tires rotated last month. when she got home she stated that the low oil light came on, I went out to check the oil, pulled dipstick and no oil showed. called the dealer and asked how many quarts of oil was put in the truck (Cummins) he called the tech aka (grease monkey) and asked him, stated he put in 5 quarts. Service manager went ballistic, engine holds 12 quarts. he said to bring it back, I said no way with only 5 quarts.

The short of it dealer made the tech aka (grease monkey) deliver and put the remaining 7 quarts in, he told me that this was his first week on the job.

Dealer also sent a certificate with 2 free oil changes and maintenance, in addition dealer also put in writing that if damage was done by driving with low oil he would fix with no charge to us. we have in the past 20 years bought all our Dodges and services from this dealer.

Comment

Originally posted by Hobcobble View Post
          Indeed they are. My dad has owned this '56 since '58.
          We restored it a few years back....
          John
          That a Charger there stabled with the Triumph?
          1951 B-3 Delux Cab, Braden Winch, 9.00 Power Kings
          1976 M880, power steering, 7.50x16's, flat bed, lots of rust & dents
          1992 W250 CTD, too many mods to list...
          2005 Jeep KJ CRD

Comment

Originally posted by Bob2 View Post
            ...Dealer also sent a certificate with 2 free oil changes and maintenance, in addition dealer also put in writing that if damage was done by driving with low oil he would fix with no charge to us. we have in the past 20 years bought all our Dodges and services from this dealer.
            You've got a gem there. That's what businesses used to be like. Integrity, ethics and morals. Hope he prospers for at least another 20 years.

We just had a similar experience. My uncle traded in his 05 Neon with only 70K. My 17 yo daughter needed to upgrade from her starter car so this was the perfect car. My dad & uncle been going to this dealer for years and years. Bought the used car with of course no warranty but I knew the whole history. Got home and it was puking antifreeze out the overflow. It was Friday night and the dealer was closed so we left a message for the owner with no demands and no expectations of course, just an FYI. He called back Saturday and said bring it back and we could have our check back. I said no, we bought as is, I'll change the thermostat and radiator cap and go from there. He said he'd hold the check until Wednesday just in case. He didn't have to do that. Been fine ever since, that was about a month ago.

Sorry to stray off topic but in this day & age those traits are rare...
            2005 Jeep KJ CRD

Comment

Originally posted by KRB64 View Post
              That a Charger there stabled with the Triumph?
              That's my friend's '69 Superbee. Originally a 383/4spd. Now it has
              a '69 426 Hemi/4spd/Dana 60.
              John

Comment

Wow, nice!
                2005 Jeep KJ CRD

Comment

Working...
                X