Hybrids are wasting fuel!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hybrids are wasting fuel!

This is meant as humour and no scientific study has yet been undertaken to prove its validity. Other than my own observation of traffic over the past twenty-five plus years off and on, of writing citations .

I have come to the conclusion based on observation of traffic patterns that Hybrid and all electric vehicles are at the source of a tremendous waste of fuel.
    How so?! You may ask. In my experience the majority of the drivers of these vehicles tend to lag at green lights accelerate slowly and drive below the posted limit.
    This causes the vehicles behind them to either drive in a lower range gear and rev higher wasting fuel or to run in a higher gear and lug their engine, again wasting fuel.
    There is also a safety issue involved in that under speed drivers tend to cause back-ups behind them which can lead to unsafe lane changes and collisions. Those same drivers tend to leave unnecessary space between themselves and the next car when stopped at intersections causing left turn pockets to become inaccessible prematurely. To be fair it’s not just hybrid drivers who do that.
    I believe the solution is educating drivers of these cars to see the “big picture” so to speak. To help them get a grasp of how their actions can affect others. It will require a bit of mental adjustment for these tofu slurping kale eaters to get on board.
    All kidding aside these cars are designed to be driven at posted speeds and when used properly are great on fuel. In addition drivers can be cited for under-speed driving if the officer feels that their actions are contributing to an unsafe traffic condition. Most officers I know will council drivers and let them go with a warning unless the drivers behavior is particularly egregious. Sort of a catch and release program.
    Perhaps one of you younger guys can get a grant and study the phenomenon more closely. It beats having the money go for a study of incontinent badgers.

I find it humorous, and unfortunately ironic, that the same left wing politicians that hybrid drivers (who tend to vote that way) have elected to office, have been talking about a new mileage driven tax since hybrids generate less gas tax revenue.

Comment

Originally posted by Doc Dave View Post
      I find it humorous, and unfortunately ironic, that the same left wing politicians that hybrid drivers (who tend to vote that way) have elected to office, have been talking about a new mileage driven tax since hybrids generate less gas tax revenue.
      Perhaps with a government funded study we can prove that hybrids make other people waste enough fuel that further tax is unnecessary. I suggest we set up the research facility on Bondai beach or maybe in Barbados.
      Dave you have some alphabet soup after your name, you could lend credence to the project. I'm sure the Villa err research facility could accommodate any number of people dedicated to sorting this out.

Comment

Hybrid Vehicles impeding traffic. This made me laugh like I haven't in a long time thank you. In the town I live in it is almost a 1 to 1 ratio comparing Heavy Duty trucks to hybrids. I have seen it wrote before "I don't always downshift, but when I do it is next to a hybrid so they can hear me hurting the environment"
        1967 W200.aka.Hank
        1946 WDX.aka.Shorty
        2012 Ram 2500 PowerWagon.aka Ollie

Life is easier in a lower gear.

Comment

It's long been my (vocal) belief that the real fuel savings from hybrids is not due to their design, but because if you take a bunch of mediocre drivers and put them in mediocre cars the fuel saved is from all the V8 powered trucks and SUVs stuck behind them in traffic. They're like rolling road blocks.

Comment

That is an interesting observation Bob, how hybrids & electric vehicles cause others around them to consume more fuel. It did make me chuckle.

I wonder how many other segments of drivers also contribute to this phenomenon. Lets consider the elderly who tend to crawl around at a glacial pace where ever they go, or drivers of large vehicles like box / strait trucks and tractor trailers that linger in the passing lane because they need to make a left turn 18 miles down the road.

Perhaps we should lobby our government to embark an a multi million dollar study to determine the validity of our observations.

All kidding aside, fun post.

Comment

You guys are pretty funny. I drive a 2012 Toyota (yes, I said it) Camry Hybrid (oh, yes, I said that too), and I really like it. It actually has great acceleration for a passenger car, especially off the line, so I more than keep up with the rest of the traffic around, and yet it still averages 40 mpg. Maybe I don't fit in with the rest of the hybrid drivers since I don't hold up traffic.

I didn't buy my hybrid to save the environment, although some folks might see that as a separate benefit. I did it to save money on gasoline, and it was time for me to buy a newer vehicle anyway, so I opted for one that would not cost me much in gas.

I still love my Power Wagon, though.

Comment

The first time I drove one I have to be honest I was surprised, my cousin who has his own trucking company bought one as a daily driver. It is a Toyota also. It was snappier than what I expected. Other than the leg room I was impressed. And he switches from it to a Kenworth every day. Now a Tesla, I would love to try one of those out.
                1967 W200.aka.Hank
                1946 WDX.aka.Shorty
                2012 Ram 2500 PowerWagon.aka Ollie

Life is easier in a lower gear.

Comment

I tried very hard to get a photo of something I saw Saturday afternoon. It was a Prious surrounded by 70's muscle cars on their way to a carshow at Ruby's. The light changed before I could snap a pic.
                  The only thing I have against hybrids is the disingenuous manner in which they are foisted on the motoring public without full disclosure of their cost to the environment.

Comment

Full disclosure: my wife and I were in California a few years back for a graduation.
                    We rented a Prius and I have to admit I was impressed with it for the most part, especially the mileage.
                    I was a little annoyed at the rental agency though, when our flight got in it was after dark, and they did not advise at all as to the unique aspects of the vehicle as to starting and turning on the lighting system.
                    Maybe they are so common in CA that they assumed we knew.
                    Anyway it worked out fine.
                    I agree with Bob about the "spin" about how they are marketed regarding the environment.

Comment

My observations may have been flawed or at least my conclusion. I base this on a discussion I had with a friend regarding another topic of a similar nature.
                      It occurred to me while vetting his postulate, that he wasn't accounting for the entire population of beings that were causing his vexation.
                      in doing that, I realized that I was only taking the Hybrids or Electrics that I noticed into my conclusion. I realize now that those Hybrids that are driven normally are virtually indistinguishable from the other vehicles on the road. I only notice the ones that are being driven poorly and therefore my conclusion is invalid. I just hate it when facts get in the way of a good rant.
                      Darn you Schrodinger, and your cat!

Comment

Working...
                      X