Trying to do the right thing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trying to do the right thing

Yesterday I stopped at a stand-alone ATM to get some cash. I waited while the guy in front of me completed his transaction, or so I thought.
    When I pulled up to the machine It wouldn't take my card. Then I realized the screen had a message requiring a response of "yes" or "no thanks". I pressed the button to indicate "no thanks" and the machine started beeping and it displayed a message reading "Please take cash" . I looked at the slot and there was $60.00 still sitting in the slot. I pulled it out and immediately scanned the area for the previous customer. Then I performed my transaction so the people behind me could get on with their lunch break. I circled the parking lot trying to find he truck that had been at the ATM but no Joy. So I went on back to my shop and called Wells Fargo to see if there was any way to return the cash to the rightful, if a bit dim, owner. They informed me that not only do they not have a procedure to accomplish my goal, but I was the first person this manager had ever encountered who wanted to return lost cash. If the ATM was outside a bank I could have just dropped it inside with a teller. Although from what I'm told they may have been reluctant to take it. It would probably have taken much longer than I was willing to spend fooling with it.
    So I stuck it in an envelope and dropped it in the donation box at a homeless shelter near the shop on my way home.
    I hope that's the end of it. It can be exhausting trying to do the right thing.

Bob, You are a good man and with comes more hardships than necessary.

Due to being good, being honest, and being right always seem to take a little

more time, but so worth it.

Thank You
    1967 W200.aka.Hank
    1946 WDX.aka.Shorty
    2012 Ram 2500 PowerWagon.aka Ollie

Life is easier in a lower gear.

Comment

Sure is refreshing to hear a good sumaritan story, good for you.

Comment

Originally posted by Iowanogre View Post
        Bob, You are a good man and with comes more hardships than necessary.

Due to being good, being honest, and being right always seem to take a little

more time, but so worth it.

Thank You
        Thanks Matt, But I wasn't applying for Sainthood. I just meant to illustrate how difficult it has become to do something simple like return something to its rightful owner.
        The bank employees are covering their backsides to avoid getting sued. In order for them to review the records of the ATM they need a court order unless it is requested by the customer whose transaction is to be examined.
        How did everything get so balled up? Pretty soon a Boyscout is going to need a signed contract before he can help someone across the street.

Comment

Things are balled up for sure, Bob. But, you know as well as I do that this country was founded on the principle that we stand up for what we believe is right...no matter how balled up things get. You did right. So all is well.

Comment

Working...
          X