outer wall getting skinned with polygal greenhouse glazing

clicking on the small images should take you to a full size image

Comment

BIG Stone

Save it for a sill stone?

Comment

Originally posted by Bruce View Post
        Save it for a sill stone?
        it's currently at the end of the driveway as an "anti-snow plow mailbox removal device"

Comment

Even Better Idea

Your place looks like a "Down Easter" for sure! Some time I am going to enclose my open shed.
          BTW, I booked marked your page.

Comment

Desoto61

Nice write up. Thanks!
            I'm not sure my building code (in town) or the neighbors would appreciate a 12' ceiling. That sure would be nice. Great idea for the lift location - hadn't put that one through my mind.

How did you lay out your breakers for the outlets? And, how many outlets per breaker.

What wire gage would you use for the welder and compressor?

Great idea for the window frame outs. I suppose, even if I didn't plan on more windows having the frame outs would really save a bundle. What kind of wall mounted heat/ac unit would you propose?
            Steve

Comment

Originally posted by Bruce View Post
              Your place looks like a "Down Easter" for sure! Some time I am going to enclose my open shed.
              BTW, I booked marked your page.
              hey thanks. It's a bit out of date, I mostly use Facebook these days. It's been a fun project (so far!)

Comment

What your handle on facebook?
                Mine is Bruce Clarke, Richmond Staff.

Comment

Originally posted by sret43 View Post
                  Nice write up. Thanks!
                  I'm not sure my building code (in town) or the neighbors would appreciate a 12' ceiling. That sure would be nice. Great idea for the lift location - hadn't put that one through my mind.
                  My building codes state the garage can't be higher than the house, so i had a similar limitation since I live in a ranch house. I chose the builder I used because he had a great way to handle this. He built 10' walls and then used a raised cross beam on the roof rafters to give me the 12' opening. So I don't have 12' from wall to wall but based on the roof pitch I have about a 14' wide space in the middle of the garage where the ceiling height is 12.5' and then slopes down to the normal wall height. So from the outside it looks a little taller than normal but not abnormally so.

How did you lay out your breakers for the outlets? And, how many outlets per breaker.
                  I used a 100amp sub pannel from my house which has I think 12 or 15 spots. I used one 20 amp line for each wall. The back wall has my work bench so it got the extra plugs. The front wall is shared with one of the side walls since the garage door only leaves spaces for one or two outlets. The lights (including exterior lights) and the two cieling fans share a 15 amp circuit. I think the limit for a 20 amp breaker is 12 or 15 outlets but I don't have near that many. I went with 20 amp feeds mainly to support any tools I might want to run more than to allow for more plugs per circuit. My exterior outlets share whichever circuit is on that wall.

Per most codes they need to be GFCI protected so the first plug in each run is a GFCI. You could use GFCI breakers but they were more expensive then the outlets. Same way, I used 20 amp plugs too, though they cost more than a regular 15amp plug.

My compressor has a dedicated 220 line (which I'll have to upgrade for the new compressor). The lift also has a dedicated 220 line. I have a 60 amp run for my powder coating stove which also runs a fused disconnect switch that connects to my welder. Should I need a 50 or 60 amp run for something like a stick welder I can always use the stove connection.

I have two more spots open that I will probably use for the heating/cooling unit when I install it.

What wire gage would you use for the welder and compressor?
                  A 5-hp air compressor should pull about 23 amps running. My Hobart 187 wants 25 amp fuses or 30 amp breakers. So I'd size for that as a minimum which should give you 10 gauge (30 amps max). If you want some extra room you can go with 8 guage which I think is good for 50 amps. It's tough to run and expensive but should handle just about anything you'd need to plug in.

Great idea for the window frame outs. I suppose, even if I didn't plan on more windows having the frame outs would really save a bundle. What kind of wall mounted heat/ac unit would you propose?
                  Steve
                  Might want to have one up high too. One high in a back wall would allow you to mount an exhaust fan to help with fumes or at least pull a nice breeze into the garage.

My goal is to try to find one of the commercial units like you see in hotels. I think you can get versions that work like a heat pump with an electric backup. More efficient than a straight electric heat setup if the weather stays mild enough. Otherwise I may just go with a large window/wall type unit, they are available with resistance electric heat. I insulated everything well so it doesn't take much to keep the place warm, right now I just use a regular portable heater to keep it above freezing, and it does fine.

I'm not looking for 70 degrees year around, just want to take the bite out of the worst of the high and low temps.

Comment

Is there a drawing program other than AutoCAD to design with? I have AutoCAD LT and it's a burden to use. This is just a simple start and I may change my back wall measurement to 25 feet across. The garage will be shoe horned into a corner of the yard. Tracy, CA has some weird codes written. If the building is closer than 3 feet to a neighboring fence I can't have an eave. That would be to the right of the garage door opening (right hand drawing). The drive path would have to be a full fledged driveway and connected to the house driveway - that means removing my grand front yard tree. Ain't gonna happen. My town is cutting services left and right because of the budget, maybe I can strong arm them.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by sret43 View Post
                      Is there a drawing program other than AutoCAD to design with? I have AutoCAD LT and it's a burden to use. This is just a simple start and I may change my back wall measurement to 25 feet across. The garage will be shoe horned into a corner of the yard. Tracy, CA has some weird codes written. If the building is closer than 3 feet to a neighboring fence I can't have an eave. That would be to the right of the garage door opening (right hand drawing). The drive path would have to be a full fledged driveway and connected to the house driveway - that means removing my grand front yard tree. Ain't gonna happen. My town is cutting services left and right because of the budget, maybe I can strong arm them.
                      I use Vectorworks for CAD. It's super easy to learn and cross-platform.

Comment

Bruce and Monkey missle

check FB for alphonso cannoli & abner carbunkle.

Comment

Scratching My Head

Originally posted by 74w300uteline View Post
                          check FB for alphonso cannoli & abner carbunkle.
                          Alphonso Connoli went to a connoli maker in NYC and Abner took me to a harry Callias page and another that was about animators for Popeye the Sailor Man toot-toot? Is that where I was to end up? <LOL>

Comment

alias alfonso cannoli

try alfonso cannoli. its wide open no need to be friends, i use it as a political and social commentary soapbox to ridicule my far left liberal friends. free speech, 2nd ammendment rights and all that good stuff. Are you aware that all images posted on facebook belong to facebook?

Comment

Second Try Usually A Charm

Did not know that. I still have all of my originals, they are on webshots as well as classmates.
                              I made it, man you have lots a gorgeous woman friends!

Comment

I designed my 36 x 48 garage "mentally" for about
                                eight years while saving up my $$. When it came
                                time, I used an Eberhard Faber No. 2 pencil, a
                                sheet of paper and a ruler. It took me almost ten
                                minutes to finish my mechanical drawing, due to
                                skills learned in my Mechanical Drawing class in
                                the tenth grade [LOL!]. For the wiring, I had a friend
                                of a friend over for a lengthy consultation [almost
                                fifteen minutes...]. A few days later, the power was
                                on. For the floor, I used a product put out by Epoxy
                                Coat in Michigan. In the rear of the garage on the
                                eaves side, there is an 8 x 10 door as well. I've
                                been working at studding in all the walls and insulating.
                                I'm using 7/16 OSB for the walls. When the walls and
                                ceiling are boarded and insulated, I'll most likely get
                                a propane heater and hang it from the ceiling to keep
                                floor space freed up.
                                John
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X