Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comment

• Comment

• Tonight, I went through 4 80lb bags of sand on one front fender to get both sides of it clean. Down to 1 front fender and 2 doors to sand blast. After I finished the fender as the sun went down, I worked on getting the few small dents out of the hood panels, welding up the couple of holes I found/caused during sand blasting and fixed the two rear hood latches. One had a broken spring and both were missing that upper ring to keep the rod stable. I cut the rings off of the other hood I have that had broken hinges and welded them in place on the good hood.

Comment

• Comment

• Decided not to sand blast today as we were having gust from the south up to 50 mph then switched directions about dark and blew that hard coming out of the south.

So tonight I prepped and painted the under sides of the two floor boards and the transmission tunnel with POR 15.

I also prepped and painted the inside part of the firewall.
            Then I pulled the turbo off and exhaust manifold and redid the gaskets and torqued the allen bolts good. Then remounted and bolted on the turbo.

I picked up a nipple and collar and extended the oil supply into the turbo so my braided line would fit since I switched the turbo around. I think I need to get a little longer nipple to raise it up just a little bit more to move the line further off of the exhaust side of the turbo.

Comment

• Comment

• Comment

• Only managed to get a little done on the truck in the last two nights. I did pick up a longer nipple and that raised the oil line up a nice distance from the hot side of the turbo.

I finished getting the two floor boards coated in POR 15 / Chassis Black by doing the topsides today. I also welded on the floor tabs to my radiator support so that I can just cut the floor sections before the radiator and after the radiator to make putting the floor in easier. I also got the outside perimeter coated in Chassis Black today.

I have the inside cleaned and metal prepped and washed, just waiting for it and the trans cooler support to dry over night so that I can finish them off and bolt them into the truck.

My step daughter lost the driveshaft out of her truck going to school this morning while my son and I were an hour away for him to take his driving test to get his license. Once I found out what actually broke on the truck, told her to throw it in the bed of the truck, put in 4x4 hi and drive on to school. So I replaced the 3 month old U joints tonight in the rear drive shaft that I had replaced when I put in new seals in her transfer case. Guess I didn't get one of the c clips in good or one of them failed. While I was doing that, the step daughter changed her oil in her truck.... she was an oily mess when she was done....

Comment

• Picked up the exhaust side yesterday for the internal part of the hood stack and had the vband weld on flange made while I was at H and H manufacturing. Sat the stack condom on it to keep dirt out while I figure out some other stuff and ready to cut and weld on the pipe.

Comment

• I think I got a lot accomplished today on the truck. I have to cum a long the truck up on my trailer in the morning to haul the truck to my brothers tomorrow afternoon to build the cage and rear shock towers.

Today, I mounted the water to air intercooler and the air lines into the cab of the truck. I still need to wire the boots together and run my boost line for the gauge at some point. I also plan on cutting some rubber out and filling the area where I drilled the holes in the cab to make it more water tight.

I also mounted the hydro brake unit and the pedals on the inside. Routed all the hydraulic lines for the brakes and steering and miracle of miracles, the lines all fit almost perfect. I had to put a slight bend down on the two pressure lines at the brake side. Now I need to build new brake lines.

I coated some more stuff in POR 15 chassis black today and put the radiator support on the truck so we can use it as a reference point tomorrow for the rear cage supports.

Also mounted the transmission tunnel in the truck today. Cleaned up some flash rust in the cab from the por 15 metal prep over spray so that it's ready to be primed once I get the truck back home.

Comment

• Comment

• Comment

• Today was cage building day, so I started the day out winching the truck onto the trailer twice.... Had it almost in position on the trailer and it slowly rolls over the two 4x4's that I was blocking it with. Controlled the roll off the trailer and started the process again using a snatch chain to keep it from repeating the second time. Hauled the truck to my brothers shop and spent the rest of the day watching the sky look like it was going to rain but not. We bent the major pieces with the truck sitting just outside of the shop so we had room to work, his little 40x60 shop is full of cars and junk. We finished the cage after about 7 hours of working on it, still no rain. Ran in the house to grab a quick bite to eat and came outside and it was pouring rain. So my son and I rushed to get the truck unloaded into the shop and get my plasma cutter unloaded as well that I brought home from my brother shop where it's been sitting and used there for the last 4 years. We spent about 40 minutes drying all the bare sheet metal off with the air nozzle and the heat gun.

My BFW steering tool

Comment

• Comment

• The back part of the cage in the cab sits on a 2x2x3/16 square tube running across the cab, I still need to drill through it and the cab and into the frame and I will bolt the cage to the frame there. The back frame tie in is welded to 2x2x1/4 angle iron where I will drill it out and bolt it to the frame. The front is welded to a 4x4 plate that we covered where the body mount bolt goes and welded it to the floor of the cab as well.

I have to order a new seat though, my plastic race seat won't work, it has too much angle in it for me to have enough leg room, so I'm going to order an aluminum seat with a 10 degree back so I can move the seat back 4 to 6 inches so I have leg room to operate the pedals.
                                I think we have the steering figured out. I will get it installed once I get the seat in from summit and have it mounted in place. Still need to figure out my brake and gas pedals.

Comment

Working...
                                X