No announcement yet.

1948 power wagon project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• D67C78DE-586C-4253-9A25-0ECEBE1759DD.jpeg398B10BE-890C-49E2-977C-2AAF510FC980.jpeg Bumper is back on minus the drum. Still have the issue of the drum shaft not extending past the drum shaft bracket. Will live with this as it will be used once - to spool cable on. Treated the rust yhat I had on the drum shaft but would like a more permanent solution vs grease.

Comment

• 46974D39-1831-43BA-A736-4664BC538044.jpegF010314C-CBAB-4163-8CEF-635182938259.jpeg Help needed

This lock ring for the PTO shaft is to be locked how tight/close to the femal splined slip yoke?

Comment

• Matthew thanks for the help yesterday. As always you are a source of knowledge, keep me out of trouble and pointed in the right direction.

Gracias de nuevo.
        Todd

Comment

• I have been working on the windshield for several evenings and well I have it ready for installation. I struggled to remember how they were attached when I could not find the photos in my folder for a guide My son reminded me of the hinge pieces and then I almost had a heart attack when I could not find the them. I finally located two sets in my junk but keep boxs and quickly sand blasted, primed and painted the only two operable ones so that I will be ready to install the windshield this weekend.

Comment

• Windshield is in!
            the lower right corner came out while putting it back in I scratched the paint in that corner.

lioking at the photos i need need to give the truck a bath.

i also was able to sand blast the drum, prime and paint it today along with putting clear on the transmission cover that was only painted long ago

Comment

• Todd, I reinstalled my windshield last weekend, actually it was my last glass replacement (all new glass) just wish the wing, sides and windshield glass went in as easy as the rear. The only issue I am having now is the adjustments to the front windshield. I can not get it to close all the way at bottom. The weather-stripping is only making light contact at bottom and not flaring out at all like the sides and top. If I push out the hinges a bit at top so to relieve some pressure, I find that the upper corners of weather-stripping want to fold in when closing. Did you have any adjustment issues and how tight did you get the bottom weather-stripping to set. Note, I even had my wife pushing in at center bottom while I cranked in.

Comment

• Texcwa
                I was hoping to have the crank installed today but my compressor could not keep up with my sand blasting of all the window pieces and regulators yesterday so they got painted today and are drying. It did take a little getting the glass out of one of the wing vents which I hoped to reuse.

Plans are to get the windshield crank in on Monday. It was one of the pieces I had to paint as the chrome was not the best where it attached to the windshield. My windshield currently has a gap at the bottom but I thought that would be solved with the crank or at least I was hoping. I’ll post back tomorrow night.

Any tricks to the installation of the door windows? I have a pile of weather stripping that needs to go in that when I disassembled the truck were missing. So I have a big jigsaw puzzle at the moment. Oddly enough I looked at the wing vent gaskets which led me to taking the pieces apart even further. The ones on the truck were cut to install as two pieces vs one. That was about the only thing that I caught before It bit me in my back side.

Todd

Comment

• Windshield hand crank was almost installed completely. The two screws that attach crank to to windshield were unable to be seated fully but it was able to pull the windshield in. The weatherstripping sits around the windshield which surprised me as I was expecting to have to make adjustments.

Comment

• Originally posted by Todd M View Post
                    Texcwa
                    I was hoping to have the crank installed today but my compressor could not keep up with my sand blasting of all the window pieces and regulators yesterday so they got painted today and are drying. It did take a little getting the glass out of one of the wing vents which I hoped to reuse.

Plans are to get the windshield crank in on Monday. It was one of the pieces I had to paint as the chrome was not the best where it attached to the windshield. My windshield currently has a gap at the bottom but I thought that would be solved with the crank or at least I was hoping. I’ll post back tomorrow night.

Any tricks to the installation of the door windows? I have a pile of weather stripping that needs to go in that when I disassembled the truck were missing. So I have a big jigsaw puzzle at the moment. Oddly enough I looked at the wing vent gaskets which led me to taking the pieces apart even further. The ones on the truck were cut to install as two pieces vs one. That was about the only thing that I caught before It bit me in my back side.

Todd
                    Todd

I just replaced all 7 pieces of glass with new (green tinted like newer cars) laminated safety glass. As you know, the rear is a breese, I set the wing and side windows with silicone sealant using thin silicone sheet shims at both sides (in glazing channel) and let them set for a week before installing (I preset the glass, taped off to edge of glazing pocket and taped frames so to control the sealant from getting everywhere) I then removed the glass (with tape on it exposing only the edges that come in contact with sealant) filled the glazing pockets with sealant and re-installed glass tooling off all excess sealant. I do have a couple of things to think about.

When I set the wing glass in, I did not verify the dimension between top and bottom (at outer edge) so after the sealant cured and I went to install the wing into its weather-stripping frame, the wing had opened up a bit and I could not close. Had to cut out the glass on drivers side and re-set.

As for the window install, they say to install the large runner channel prior to dropping in the window. This made it difficult to install the bottom rail into the sliding rail from the crank mechanism. I found that I had to remove the runner channel, get the bottom of glass rail into crank then re-install the channel. This channel is easy to get in and out with glass in place. I also had to take a wood block, cut the end into a large wedge form and hammer into runner channel its full length to open up a bit so that the window would operate freely. Needs lots of grease on weatherstripping of this channel.

As for the front window, maybe you could take a pic or two of the outside lower corners (upper corners may be helpful also) so I can see how muck compression you have. I will do the same when I get back from a work trip I am on. Thanks for the offer on the call and if I get fed up with this I may just take you up on it.

Comment

• 2A31A658-04E1-4B41-AF90-8716C289E616.jpeg3DC2BC15-3204-4E55-B0E3-3E77396B3FBE.jpeg Drivers side - needs to be lowered slightly to match the truck contour better76776773-1157-4ABF-8571-1D02524A1EFE.jpeg

Comment

• Texcwa
                        Thanks for the helpful advice. Hope to attempt installing the door glass this week providing I can find the clips to hold all the weatherstripping/ channel runs in place.

Had to rebuild the starter this week and it was reinstalled tonight. Engine turns over but working to get it to draw fuel from the tank and run. Been dying to get this thing to run. Jumping from one task to another like a squirrel trying to store nuts for the winter.

Todd

Comment

• Todd that looks like it fits perfect very nice job. I have yet to master the windshield gasket and windshield assembly installation all by my self. To me it takes 2 people to do this right and easily.
                          1967 W200.aka.Hank
                          1946 WDX.aka.Shorty
                          2012 Ram 2500 PowerWagon.aka Ollie

Life is easier in a lower gear.

Comment

• One thing I just noticed, do you have the joint clips for the sides that cover the seam?
                            1967 W200.aka.Hank
                            1946 WDX.aka.Shorty
                            2012 Ram 2500 PowerWagon.aka Ollie

Life is easier in a lower gear.

Comment

• Todd M
                              Todd M commented
                              Editing a comment
                              Matthew
                              Yes I have the seem clips and the middle windshield piece. All 3 need to be installed before I lose or have to repaint them.

I did have my younger son help get a bolt started on each side while I manuvered them into place before he took off for lacrosse practice.

Figured out my error in the two screws that attach the windshield crank mechanism to the windshield. Trying to stuff a #10 32 screw into holes that I had to tap months ago. Used a #10 24 thread as I have a couple of dozen that size. I must say the Greenfield tap and die pieces/sets I got from my grandfather certainly have come in handy on this truck. Never used one before this project and it has been countless times now. Amazing he had all sizes and enough to fill a brief case completely full and more. I always said I need to organize them better but have not to this date.

• Mechanical Fuel pump help

I have a 1955 Plymouth 230 engine P26*93753* that for some reason the fuel pump does not draw or pump fuel. I can get it to pump when removed by hand. I do not believe a rod or bar is required on the crank. Is that correct? Is there a particular method to install the pump to ensure that it engages properly?

Thanks for for any assistance.
                            Todd

Comment

Working...
                            X