1948 power wagon project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mechanical Fuel pump help

I have a 1955 Plymouth 230 engine P26*93753* that for some reason the fuel pump does not draw or pump fuel. I can get it to pump when removed by hand. I do not believe a rod or bar is required on the crank. Is that correct? Is there a particular method to install the pump to ensure that it engages properly?

Thanks for any assistance.
    Todd

Comment

• It should be pretty simple, the camshaft actuates the arm on the pump, it could be a blockage or something with the pickup tube. Give me a shout if you do not get it going.
      1967 W200.aka.Hank
      1946 WDX.aka.Shorty
      2012 Ram 2500 PowerWagon.aka Ollie

Life is easier in a lower gear.

Comment

• Todd.

Thanks for posting your windshield pics, I can already see that it looks like my windshield may be pulled in too tight at the top and I may need to raise it up a bit. After talking to Matt about this, I will try loosening up all 4 bolts at each hinge assembly and have my son help hold the window into the closed position while I tighten everything up.

Comment

• Forgot to mention, if your still having issues with your fuel pump, I may have one in the garage that I'm not using since I switched to an electric pump when I rebuilt the motor with the duel carb set-up.

Comment

• Texcwa
            thanks for the offer. I could not wait and was able to track one done locally. Can not say what the issue with the pump was as it was new. However it’s replacem worked like a champ. Had the truck running once it was in place. Boy was it good to hear it run. LOUD I do not remember it being this loud. I suppose when the fenders and hood get put on it may baffle it slightly.

Matthew
            as always thanks for your help in diagnosis the issue and tricks to ensure I as moving forward correctly.

Flushed the engine out with thermostat removed using a Drain King - suggested by neighbor- even thought I had spayed it clean when the freeze plugs were out. Glad I did as more brown-reddish junk came out and I do not need that in my freshly cleaned radiator.

I was hoping to have the brake fluid in but my brake system does not hold air pressure. I will have to track down the issue this week before I attempt to put the fluid in. If unable to find the leak the brake fluid will certainly show me where in the most inconvenient place I can presume.

Missed my goal of test drive this weekend but there is always next.

Comment

• 6E618C1D-E569-43F9-8819-E74E1890D10D.jpegF7FF4388-DB2C-41A1-B0D1-8FC21263F323.jpeg Throttle linkage bar with teeth- HELP

is this the correct setup minus maybe a washer next to cotter pin? It was not hooked up when I got the vehicle.

Comment

• Wish I could help, I took many (several hundred) photos 6+ years ago when I started disassembling of my 49 and looked for a pic of the throttle linkage set-up but mine was completely different (see pic below) the second pic is what I have now (which will be of no help but wanted to share).
                11-25-12 - 043.JPG2015-01-18_15-59-22_208.jpg

Comment

• Todd let me find the early linkage pictures, I completely forgot to get those to you. Let me do some digging here this morning.
                  1967 W200.aka.Hank
                  1946 WDX.aka.Shorty

Comment

• Take a look at this photo here
                    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                    This gallery has 1 photos.
                    1967 W200.aka.Hank
                    1946 WDX.aka.Shorty

Comment

• Here are some origanal linkage pictures
                      You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                      This gallery has 4 photos.
                      1967 W200.aka.Hank
                      1946 WDX.aka.Shorty

Comment

• Thanks guys this has helped out a lot. I have been able to get the linkage correct and have made some adjusting the idle speed so it does not run fast at startup.

Comment

• 0D48B42E-A6CE-4CB8-9DF7-68249EB00D20.jpegE31D83CC-E0E8-4330-B5A6-717C17C1AA79.jpegA360B934-B02A-45D2-8114-06E73BA28191.jpeg Putts around on the truck today. Took the passenger side wheels apart to bearing nuts. Socket is due to arrive shortly so I can finish last items on the brakes - replacement of wheel cylinders, springs and shoes.

Installed wing vent gaskets for both windows. Installed the first one incorrectly. Will look at installing the glass tomorrow in them.

Comment

• Todd, Just a bit of advice from someone who just finished installing glass in wing vents (and had to do it over again), take a measurement from end to end (outside edge of vent glass frame) before you set the glass (if using sealant). I did not and set the glass into a bed of sealant only to find that after sealant had cured and I set the glass and frame back into the vent and gasket that it had opened up just enough so that I could not close and latch. Had to cut out glass and reset.

Comment

• FB2BBF48-C830-4542-98B8-4D5B60B6462B.jpeg
                              Originally posted by texcwa View Post
                              Todd, Just a bit of advice from someone who just finished installing glass in wing vents (and had to do it over again), take a measurement from end to end (outside edge of vent glass frame) before you set the glass (if using sealant). I did not and set the glass into a bed of sealant only to find that after sealant had cured and I set the glass and frame back into the vent and gasket that it had opened up just enough so that I could not close and latch. Had to cut out glass and reset.
                              Texcwa
                              Thanks for the heads up. After my last use of sealant on windshield I was more than happy to try this channel tape. First one was very tough and needed lots of persuading with a rubber mallet. The second I decided enough of this **** and applied a little silicone to the tape. It went in with a tenth of the persuasion that the first required but still required hits of the mallet. Even with this channel tape I recognize what you were saying but a tap of the mallet from the top on the frame and the edges closed down on the glass to never reopen again.

Hope to track down the required fasteners to get them installed on the doors tomorrow. I have several parts that require paint before I can install the windows. I will paint them later with my sons Bronco top to minimize the clean up of my painting equipment. Hopefully the end of the week if we get his top prepped.

Comment

• With help from Matthew I was able to redo the passenger side brakes and replace the seals. One step of many to get this back on the road.

there is still the adjustment of the brakes that I have to do.

822B312E-278A-4A3E-AC69-6CFCA72205A6.jpeg485612CA-8285-47EB-BD69-5A7926CFF574.jpeg

Comment

Working...
                                X